gimbal release date?

Honestly I am not too thrilled I have to remove the GoPro each time just to pull the SD card. Wish hey had left that side open.

Agreed, BUT the quick release is sooo much better than any other drone out there with removable/swappable cameras.

I'm tired of carrying around an Alan key or screw driver to get my cameras out. I did modify an Iris+ with a DYS 3 axis so I can remove the SD card without unscrewing the whole thing, but I'm looking forward to the frame mount (makes filters easier to put on the GoPro too).

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Well I don't think I have seen a video of it being swapped. But sure hope its easy.

My issues is I cannot seem to touch the GoPro without sticking my finger on the lens!

Well I don't think I have seen a video of it being swapped. But sure hope its easy.

My issues is I cannot seem to touch the GoPro without sticking my finger on the lens!

On Amazon, you can buy cheap, plastic, made-by-GoPro lens covers that just slide on and off. They protect the lens, and you can also easily clean them if you inadvertently touch them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Its like there is some kind of finger singularity in those lenses that just pulls your fingers onto the lens every time.

I highly recommend carry a lens pen or two in every drone case.

I Probably should do something. I also have filters for the GoPro and seem to touch them too. LOL

Another issue with not having the GoPro connected to the Solo.... if you turn the Solo over to push the GoPro's record button while Solo is on, you can knock it out of calibration.

I've twice had it flip over during the Arming Cycle because of this.

I landed it because the camera was not running, turned it upside-down and pressed record on the GoPro then set it level on its feet, ready to fly.
The Controller said it was ready, so I pressed FLY to arm it.
During the arm cycle it fired up the motors, lifted off the ground a couple of inches then flipped on to its back.
(This is on the first long-press of Fly, not during Takeoff)

I think they may not be re-checking for calibration after the initial startup.

This is supposed to be the World's First Drone made in concert with GoPro.
3DR should have built in some functionality into the Solo without the Gimbal attached...

Last edited:
I have not knocked it out of calibration yet but I have started the GoPro upside down a few times and had a 180 image. LOL Irritating.

I am pessimistic about the delivery of the gimbal. "Shipping by end of July". If they ship one unit then mission accomplished. Based on everything I've seen about this kickstarter project I'm betting it will be September before significant numbers of us have one. And yes Best Buy will be at the front of the line. Now where's my battery. :eek:

Reactions: rrmccabe
I would say pretty similar in flight characteristics. With the app and the RC it is a different animal when compared to the P2. I don't own a vision so this is my u first quad to use with an app.
The radio range is not as good as the P2 but if you are in wide open spaces it is pretty good. I think the GPS may be a little weaker but with a recent firmware update they have made it more reliable.
Before the update there were several reports of minor crashes which BTW, the Solo is pretty rugged, most had no damage at all, some with broken props. The ESCs seem to be tougher and withstand more punishment than the P2. It is easier to land due to it lower center of gravity and does not want to tip like the P2. As far as I know, there have not been any flyaways with the Solo.
bro is there a function to off solo lights during flight?

I'm hoping the gimbal SKU going live on Best Buy's web site is a sign that a release is right around the corner.

Wish that was the case but honestly I don't expect to have it in my hands for 3 weeks yet.

I will be really happy with 3 weeks. I am guessing more like 5-6 weeks.

Here's to hoping I am wrong.

Ryan G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela