gimbal release date?

after looking at the video of the gimbal stress test it appears that the camera will be mounted upright instead of inverted.
so that means that there will be a different cable going from the solo to the camera/
Right?
Nope, you'll use the same cable but it will be routed to the other side.

after looking at the video of the gimbal stress test it appears that the camera will be mounted upright instead of inverted.
so that means that there will be a different cable going from the solo to the camera/
Right?
Correct, it will be right side up and will be uses the Hero Bus for the connection. This is how you'll be able to control the Go pro using the controller.

Reactions: RichWest
Correct, it will be right side up and will be uses the Hero Bus for the connection. This is how you'll be able to control the Go pro using the controller.
will the camers have to be disconected and removed from the solo to be charged like it is now?

will the camers have to be disconected and removed from the solo to be charged like it is now?

The Solo will charge the Go Pro when it's connected. Here are the features taken from the Solo website:

Features
  • Professionally stabilized aerial video (to within 0.1 degrees of pointing accuracy)
  • First 3-axis gimbal in the world to offer in-flight GoPro® control (via free mobile app)
  • Compatible with GoPro® HERO3+ and HERO4 (includes HERO3+ and HERO4 Silver balance weights)
  • Live HD video direct from GoPro® to iOS and Android mobile devices
  • Powers GoPro® battery during flight
  • Integrated HDMI output for live HD streaming to virtually any screen
  • Includes quick start guide and screwdriver for easy GoPro® installation
  • Automates camera for Solo’s Smart Shot cinematic flight modes
  • Take control or let the Solo Gimbal do the work with auto and manual tilt modes
  • Includes sunshade to reduce glare and lens flare

Right?
There was always going to be different cable. The expansion port on the GoPro is completely different type of connection. Look at the back of the GoPro, it's the long slot.

There was always going to be different cable. The expansion port on the GoPro is completely different type of connection. Look at the back of the GoPro, it's the long slot.
I always thought it would connect thru the usb port and hdmi port.....not the expansion.

I always thought it would connect thru the usb port and hdmi port.....not the expansion.
No, there is no control through the USB port. Has to go through the expansion bus.

No, there is no control through the USB port. Has to go through the expansion bus.
Seems strange....USB is used for control on thousands of devices. You just need to know the serial codes to send....but you may be right.

I am expecting NO cables :)

It better snap right on to the Hero port on back.

Honestly I am not too thrilled I have to remove the GoPro each time just to pull the SD card. Wish hey had left that side open.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I am expecting NO cables :)

It better snap right on to the Hero port on back.

Honestly I am not too thrilled I have to remove the GoPro each time just to pull the SD card. Wish hey had left that side open.
I haven't seen the pics of the finished product. Is the USB port blocked or open like it is now?

I get that having the Solo power the camera has its advantages (like if you forget to charge the camera before heading out), but wouldn't that also result in a shorter flight time per battery?

I get that having the Solo power the camera has its advantages (like if you forget to charge the camera before heading out), but wouldn't that also result in a shorter flight time per battery?
My Phantom 2 works the same way with the P2 powering the GoPro - no noticeable effect on the flight times however.

I think the camera draw for less than 20 minutes is a small percentage of the current drawn by 4 spinning props.

I doubt we will even notice.

Yes, I believe it will knock off about 5 minutes of flight time.

Best Buy is showing the gimbal available to order now. I just tried, but can't complete the order because it says it is only available for "in store pickup," but none of the stores in my area have any, so it won't let me order --- bottom line, all it means is we ARE getting closer to a release date I hope.

There is no cable on the gimbal. It plugs directly into the data slot on the rear of the go pro.

Best Buy is showing the gimbal available to order now. I just tried, but can't complete the order because it says it is only available for "in store pickup," but none of the stores in my area have any, so it won't let me order --- bottom line, all it means is we ARE getting closer to a release date I hope.
I was looking at the same thing. So best buy doesn't do preorders? hopefully most stores get a shipment but I'm not sure how that works

I was looking at the same thing. So best buy doesn't do preorders? hopefully most stores get a shipment but I'm not sure how that works
I believe the website used to have the gimbal listed for preorder, now it is listed as though it is in stock (which we all know ain't true), but not available for pick up - which like I said just means they are gearing up for a date in the near future when it will be available. I hope.

Who needs a Gimbal? Just mount up a 360 IMAX and be done with it.
(It takes a bit of pratice to land, and might have a slight negative effect on flying time...)

sy8oyw.jpg

Hahahaa... That thing is awesome.

I am eagerly, like most people, awaiting the gimbal. I am getting some much needed flight time in the mean time. I don't need it for smooth video just yet anyway. Just get it RIGHT please

Ryan G

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc