Gimbal not turning on

Reaction score
Have a gimbal on a solo that was working fine in the fall, then put away in hard case, and since then stored and not moved until last week. Took it out for a flight and gimbal just remains limp. I tried removing batteries, restarting it, putting gopro in and out, etc...no love.

There is no sound coming from the gimbal motor at all. There is no video feed either.

Any ideas on where I could start troubleshooting this? Loose cable? Which are most suspect?

I'd try the gimbal data/power connection first...plug/unplug a few times to clean the contacts.

Having no video...either the camera was not on or you have other issues. No power to the gimbal does not affect the video feed.

I tried plugging and unplugging the wires and still no power. Also tried to connect the go pro directly to the hdmi cable bypassing the gimbal and still no video feed. Could this be an issue further up the line on the motherboard?

I could see the go pro being the issue for the video feed issue, but when I turn the drone on I would still expect to hear the gimbal motors trying to balance it out. If the go pro wasnt connected at all it seems like the gimbal would still try to do its thing right?

So this is interesting. As I test I hooked my gopro up to an external recorder (atomos ninja) and there is no video signal, so you may be right that the gopro is having issues. That said, the gimball should indeed turn on without a gopro even installed right?

I completely tore the solo apart checking for loose cables or bad solders....everything looks good. Put the gimbal back together, still cant get the gimbal to turn on.

Does anyone know the answer to this question : Will the gimbal turn on when there is no go pro installed?

Could this be an issue further up the line on the motherboard?
Could be...but more to the cable. You can remove the gps/battery tray and still plug in a flight battery. This will give you the ability to connect the data/power cable to the gimbal out the top and see if there is a bad connection while wiggling wires around at the MB and at the gimbal connector..

Alternative, if you have a multimeter you can check voltage. There is a wiring diagram here on the forum for the data/power cable.

Your GoPro could also have blown a fuse on the Gimbal thru the HeroPort

Check the test points on the top of the gimbal. With the GPS cover removed as @RichWest has mentioned you should be looking right at the test points.

Reactions: Ed.it.Ed
Am I just checking for continuity?
Your GoPro could also have blown a fuse on the Gimbal thru the HeroPort

Check the test points on the top of the gimbal. With the GPS cover removed as @RichWest has mentioned you should be looking right at the test points.
Am I just checking for continuity?

Hi Everyone....

So I ended up buying a new drone because I couldnt trouble shoot this in time for a job. If anyone is interested, I got a Phantom 4 Pro with a hardcase and extra batteries for $650...pretty good deal. At any rate, I'd like to get my 3DR going, but the gimbal is still broke.

I borrowed a buddies 3dr and hooked up my gimbal and same issue....the gimball is not turning on...completely unresponsive.

As noted in earlier posts the gimball was working perfectly fine, got put away for a few months, brought back out, and wouldnt turn on.

I don't think I am capable of troubleshooting this. Curious to know if anyone on the forums would be willing to give it a shot (for a fee of course). Or if not, if anyone may have one for sale.

Sorry to spam my own thread :) I just found a brand new gimbal in sealed box for $200. If anyone wants my gimbal to work on I'll give it to you for free if you want to pay the shipping on it.

Sorry to spam my own thread :) I just found a brand new gimbal in sealed box for $200. If anyone wants my gimbal to work on I'll give it to you for free if you want to pay the shipping on it.
If you still have this damaged gimbal, I'll take it. I will of course pay shipping. Let me know?
Scott

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc