Gimbal controller board

Reaction score
Has anyone ever successfully used the Solo controller board with a different gimbal? Are the smart shots controlled by the gimbal board, pixhawk, or a combination? I'd really like to be able to use a different style camera while maintaining smart shots.
Can anyone say weather or not 3DR plans to release the gimbal to open source? I'd love to see

there are people already doing this, our own Jublar was the pioneer.
But the current build myself and others are working on, use other gimbals with stock solos, or use the IMX6 computer out of a solo, with solo controller connected to a different Flight Controller and Carrier board
So basically I will fly this like a solo. That is the custom gimbal frame under construction at the bottom with my GX85 target camera
22852921_539526883060549_1284448081359721404_n.jpg

Yes, that is a super sized version of what I was picturing. You sir are the king, that is probably the coolest machine I've ever seen.

this is my new carrier board for IMX6 so it connects to the PH2.1 cube
Just waiting on two more motors, that is my Yaw motor and I have decided to go alexmos controller

23334035_544536759226228_5289379714027491774_o.jpg

Reactions: XevetS
Man, I'm going to have to ask a couple of FNG questions here because I'm starting to think that what I thought isn't so.

1) What is the IMX6 board's job? I thought it was basically a combo of a RC TX/RX and an FPV TX/RX.

2) Where do smart shots come from?
Gimbal Controller Board
Pixhawk
Both
Does a stork bring them?

Smart shots are just py scripts that run on the onboard IMX6 and they send commands to the flight controller to move around the sky, land, take off or move the gimbal pitch

Smart shots are just py scripts that run on the onboard IMX6 and they send commands to the flight controller to move around the sky, land, take off or move the gimbal pitch
that is not all it does btw
It also process video feed, sends telemetry and handles control commands
there is no traditional RC/TX on solo. Simply one IMX taking stick and button commands, and over wifi a second IMX on board the bird tells the FC what to do.
The beauty of solo are the two onboard Linux computers over WIFI not Radio

Reactions: Redcon1
So the solo gimbal controller board actually doesn't do anything that every other gcb can do then?

As far as I know, it all works but pitch, and I think someone got that working too, but its not for the RTF gang, it takes a lot of tweaking and cube and master

there are people already doing this, our own Jublar was the pioneer.
But the current build myself and others are working on, use other gimbals with stock solos, or use the IMX6 computer out of a solo, with solo controller connected to a different Flight Controller and Carrier board
So basically I will fly this like a solo. That is the custom gimbal frame under construction at the bottom with my GX85 target camera
View attachment 7276
pyrate, that is an impressive machine. When you assemble the rest of your gimbal, don't do what I did one day with my gimbal: almost placed a small metal (not aluminum...) washer over a screw, then I dropped it near a large gimbal motor, to be sucked in by the magnets and the motor was a lost cause.

Reactions: pyrate
none of the motors I have are the real open ones
they have pretty protective bells on them
But yeah, I drilled off a prop once, forgot to protect the motor. That one cost me a new motor

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig