geotagging images - getting the proper time offset

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to geotag images taken with the Solo in Mission Planner but am having some trouble figuring out the proper time offset. I'd like to geotag using a time offset in mission planner. My question is how to I find out the current Solo time used in the data logs in order to identify the proper time offset?

Previously I had tried to set the GoPro time to GPS time, and take a picture of a website that displays the current GPS time. The offset between the picture time and the time on the webpage would give me the offset. Although, this doesn't seem to work in Mission Planner, as the Solo logs appear to use local time and not GPS time, so I have to add additional offset.

My ideas are as follows:
1) If I sftp to the solo, can I run a command such as 'watch -n 0.1 date' to output the 3DR solo time? I could then take a picture with the gopro of the system time and get the offset from that. However, I am not sure if the time output by 'date' is what is used in the solo.tlog files or not.

2) Is there a line in the solo.tlog file that I can use to directly get the offset? I mean, can I identify in the solo.tlog file when the very first photo is taken and compare that time to the photo time to get the offset? I looked through the tlog file after converting to csv in Mission Planner, but I couldn't tell what command identified when the first photo was taken, and which time that corresponds to in the log file.

Thanks for any help!

Couple questions. You flew it with the gopro? Did you fly it in a survey flight or take pictures manually?

I flew it with a gopro on a survey flight done with mission planner. However, I can't autotag the images in mission planner because the number of photos taken doesn't match the number of triggers in the log file.

Ah. I have a couple things that might help you, I will send a PM. One thing for the greater group, it helps a lot to set the clock in your camera. We set them to local time just try to get within a second or so ish of the GPS time. Hours and minutes aren’t so important as seconds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig