Future for New Solo Owner

Reaction score
Newbie here! Hey folks!

Well I think I am happy about now owning a Solo but of course not sure with all the uncertainty with 3DR. Maybe you guys can give me some perspective based on my application.

I design golf courses. Purchased the Solo so I can film some nice images related to golf holes as i build them etc. Use that on the web site and other social media etc.

I also own an Iris+ but I purchased the Solo simply because of Smart Shots. Look, I will never become an enthusiast like many of you guys nor am I a photographer so I really needed something like Smart Shots to simplify things for me when trying to capture some nice imagery. All I want to do is take my Solo backpack with me when I visit my projects and use it when I see the opportunity based on progress, results of the project and the weather of course.

I am not an Apple user and therefore use Android for the app. I got the backpack package a couple weeks ago for a mere $550 and added another battery. Upon first run I had the control stick calibration error so I found the fix here on this site with putty etc and got through that. Firs flight went fine other than an error warning of Manual camera control. I did the putty calibration thing again so hopefully that will take care of it and will find out later today when I go try to capture some video.

With all that taken care of, and knowing I am not trying to do things with Solo at a super high level, how do you think things stand for me and other like me with the issues and changes at 3DR? I am not a recreational user consumer, but I am trying to use this tool professionally for my business. It would be to bad if 3Dr looked at my investment as a simple consumer and didn't support me moving forward. All I really want is for the solo to do what it is supposed to do. I don't need much more.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Personally I've stocked up on spare motor pods, batteries, and other "consumable" wear/tear items. I also have a spare solo. If you're using it for business, it would probably be prudent to have spare parts at a minimum. There's lots that can go wrong with a quad at any given time. No uas is perfect. Even if 3dr blew up and disappeared, my solo(s) will fly for years. When something actually better hits the market, I'll go there ;)

There are several 3rd parties still working on solo, and working on updating it to make it current with the main ardupilot branch so that it will always get the newest updates without 3dr.

The best deal this labor day weekend is at Best Buy (499, Solo, gimbal, spare battery, spare props). If you look at it from a parts perspective you can't beat the price, if you look at from having a backup spare bird to fly, you can't beat the price. Ends today Sept 5th.
I agree with PdxSteve, there will probably be third party open source stuff available for the Solo.

I was able to take advantage of the Best Buy deal this weekend and got the bird in the air, and it was spectacular. Albeit I knew going in that my GoPro 3Hero+ Silver was not really 100% supported, but I had the same issue on my Iris+ FPV feed when I went to the 3.x GP update. When I down-revved the GP I was able to stream to the Solo App and it was perfect. The flight characteristics of the Solo are amazing compared to the Iris+. I will keep both but the Solo is now my main video/Photography UAV.

I agree with @PdxSteve- as long as you can get spare parts if you need them, you're good to go. Don't know what will happen with 3DR tech support.
Nothing we can do about that, so let's just fly it- learn it- love it!

As long as 3DR is about there will be support, Solo will be in the shops certainly for Xmas, given the Solo comes with a 12 month warranty, that means 3DR will need to support it until at least December 2017, maybe beyond.

The issue of spares and so on has been discussed so at least 3DR are aware of the concern, I'm told retailers that have bought Solo to sell have also been provided with stocks of spares but I don't have any more detail than that.

There's some ex-3DR technical staff working on a new GPS module, it's based around the M8N, if 3DR will warranty the Solo with that then fine, albeit I have raised concerns given the M8N has specifically been avoided in the Solo as the physical space in the Solo shell doesn't (I believe) provide enough space for a ground plate as large as Ublox would recommend. There was some confusion as the ex-3DR staff were marketing the GPS as a revision C as though it was official when it's not really a revision C.

Yes, as long as it works for maybe a couple years, I'd be fine with that. After that I am sure other new options will be available.
I just don't understand how companies get so messed up. Seems pretty simple to me. Create a platform that everything is based upon first and foremost and protect that throughout with refinements and software upgrades etc. Keep parts available, improve batteries along the way whatever. The thing doesn't physically really need to do much more than what it is capable of for most applications. If someone needs a drone to do more, they can go a different route or DIY.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I see most people talking about esc and batteries, but should I stock up on props or are compatible 3rd party ones widely available?

As long as 3DR is about there will be support, Solo will be in the shops certainly for Xmas, given the Solo comes with a 12 month warranty, that means 3DR will need to support it until at least December 2017, maybe beyond.

customer support has been out of gimbals for a month or two now. Hopefully they're still being manufactured. Legally they're supposed to stock parts for a year while warranties are still valid but given their track record of delivering gimbals I'm not gonna hold my breath.

The plant that make the batteries are selling them anyway, so that doesn't need 3DR. I'm sure there are compatible props out there but the Solo ones work well enough so I'd just stock up on those.

4 weeks for an RMA of a gimbal is hardly the end of the World, other brands propably wouldn't even RMA a gimbal to begin with and even if they did you'd often be waiting at least 4 weeks.

battery/gimbal coming from same plant? Is there a wholesale/direct website to buy them?

4 weeks is alright (may be unsatisfactory for a company with glowing reviews of customer support) I'm certainly patient enough for it even if it's frustrating missing the prime summer season which has become a common theme with 3DR gimbals. I believe it's certainly ongoing for longer than that and I am suspecting a lot longer. Don't forget the initial production of gimbal was delayed 3 months. That's the track record we're going off on. I don't wish to compare anecdotal stories about other brand which are probably exaggerated on a 3DR forum because you can argue the other guys will still be around whereas 3DR, not so much.

No, I was saying the battery manufacturer for Solo now sells the batteries direct although I've only seen them doing so in Europe so far, albeit this was August so they may be planning the US and so on.

There was no original production delay, that delay was due to testing and tuning as it was 3DR's first gimbal so it has nothing to do with anything.

3DR has a third party handling their warehousing now so that likely is resulting in processes settling in.

As a DJI owner myself I can tell you how difficult RMAs are in fact they only warranty gimbal motors for 90 days.

I'm waiting on RMA for gimbal for 1 month so far. The Gimbal was brand new from a 3DR bundle deal. It was twitchy, they agreed to replace it. I really wish I had gotten it at Amazon or Best buy, at least they would have given me a replacement the same day. I find it hard to believe they don't have insurance / warranty stockage or set asides, it is pretty common business practice.

I'm waiting on RMA for gimbal for 1 month so far. The Gimbal was brand new from a 3DR bundle deal. It was twitchy, they agreed to replace it. I really wish I had gotten it at Amazon or Best buy, at least they would have given me a replacement the same day. I find it hard to believe they don't have insurance / warranty stockage or set asides, it is pretty common business practice.
Chances are a level calibration would have sorted it on the new firmware.

Thanks. I believe that at the time (beginning of August) I did a level cal. I also swapped it between two Solos that I have and the Gimbal still had a periodic twitch. I've had no other issues with my Solos they perform as expected.

yeah brand new just take it back to the store.

Ian, was it the full battery with the smart component or just the cells? I remember ppl posting a rebranded one in AUS for around $120?

When Solo was first announced there was no mention the gimbal would ship after the bird. They apologized by giving us a free battery. A delay is a delay, kind of hard to argue. 3DR is ultimately responsible for the logistics for its products and services, 3rd party or not.

the Solo was introduced incomplete and not capable of being used for the purpose designed – even if it had worked. Customers were led to believe that the Gimbal would be available soon after launch – a few weeks as most – and definitely by the beginning of the summer season. Instead of being honest with their customers, 3DR played the game of stringing them along – and this continues to the present. The first gimbal release dates were reportedly in late June. Then, when nothing surfaced, 3DR reacted by posting long rambling descriptions of the gimbal development process and claimed it would be shipped by late July – assurring customers that they had built a buffer into the time frame so that it should easily be done then or earlier. Late July has come and gone and the word from various sources now says the gimbal may not start to ship in quantity until Labor Day. New orders are likely to be delayed until October (factory now says 8 weeks for new orders)
-Update- some early hand-tooled gimbals have been shipped to a small percentage of Solo owners who will likely receive them and be able to fly before September 1.
-Update- Mass production of gimbals is slated to start in early or mid-September with new orders still likely being filled in mid to late October, 2016.
FINAL UPDATE – MASS PRODUCTION OF GIMBALS STARTED IN OCTOBER AND THEY ARE NOW AVAILABLE – ALTHOUGH THE GIMBALS HAVE PRESENTED SOME PROBLEMS WITH SHAKY VIDEO, ETC. – Do some research as to the micro-vibrations many users are experiencing.

3DR Solo is a NoGo - Drone Flyers

Last edited:
Yes, as long as it works for maybe a couple years, I'd be fine with that. After that I am sure other new options will be available.
I just don't understand how companies get so messed up. Seems pretty simple to me. Create a platform that everything is based upon first and foremost and protect that throughout with refinements and software upgrades etc. Keep parts available, improve batteries along the way whatever. The thing doesn't physically really need to do much more than what it is capable of for most applications. If someone needs a drone to do more, they can go a different route or DIY.
Knowing how to engineer and build something is one thing. Knowing how to operate a company to market, support, and supply it is completely different.

Just being a good engineer, Doctor, lawyer, etc., doesn't mean you can build and run a business.

One thing missing from 3DR is customer service, not to be confused with tech support. People who can keep you informed about what's happening with bug fixes and other issues we are always asking about without having to ask tech support about it. Dealing with unhappy customers and acting as a liaison between them and tech support or whoever they are having a problem with.

Basically somebody who can answer general questions and make unhappy customers happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo Keith
Knowing how to engineer and build something is one thing. Knowing how to operate a company to market, support, and supply it is completely different.

Just being a good engineer, Doctor, lawyer, etc., doesn't mean you can build and run a business.

Agreed Maddog. I am sure it plagues the tech industry badly.
Believe it or not that's why there are boards of directors for corporations. A little oversight and focus is handy. Of course they could be worthless too.

Q: What's worse than an Engineer running a company?
A: 2 Engineers running a company.

Sorry all you Engineers out there. We Architects are the ones with the vision. ;-)

Maybe GoPro should have bought out the drone portion of 3DR.

Reactions: SurfnSkate81

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44