FPVLR Antenna; limited range.

Reaction score
I have the FPVLR long range antenna and am using 2.4 Sunhans boosters on each side (see photo). I have increased performance over stock but nowhere near the signal strength advertised or that I see posted by other pilots. I cannot get beyond about 2000' without signal loss? I had attributed this to my being in an urban area ,Hartford,CT. However, recently I was upstate NY; this area was completely unobstructed and without additional WiFi interference. Even there I lost signal at around 2000'? What I'm looking for really is penetration in congested areas, not to fly 5 miles away. The distance limit is just to demonstrate the difference in performance from other pilots I am experiencing with this equipment. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance for taking the time to help.

Attachments

• FPVLR.jpg
    FPVLR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
What were you getting with the stock antennas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the FPVLR long range antenna and am using 2.4 Sunhans boosters on each side (see photo). I have increased performance over stock but nowhere near the signal strength advertised or that I see posted by other pilots. I cannot get beyond about 2000' without signal loss? I had attributed this to my being in an urban area ,Hartford,CT. However, recently I was upstate NY; this area was completely unobstructed and without additional WiFi interference. Even there I lost signal at around 2000'? What I'm looking for really is penetration in congested areas, not to fly 5 miles away. The distance limit is just to demonstrate the difference in performance from other pilots I am experiencing with this equipment. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance for taking the time to help.
Don't know who you bought your setup from, but this is the guy you need to talk to @FPVLR

Don't know who you bought your setup from, but this is the guy you need to talk to @FPVLR
That's where I bought it. All he told me was "that’s the lowest number I have ever heard from a 3dr solo.
You should easily get 2 to 3 miles in open area.
If you don’t there is a problem that I cannot explain". Big help there.

He used to be active here, haven't seen him around?
He should have given you more advice or troubleshoot your probelm.
I know nothing about your setup.
I would ask for my money back, then he will troubleshoot your probelm.

Hope this helps.

Have you tried without the boosters?? I don't know how you guys can see past half a mile anyway :)

You should try a 3db attenuator between the amplifiers and the Solo controller. You can't just ram the full power output from the solo controller into most boosters. The solo controllers power output is usually higher than what those boosters are designed to take in. The boosters also tend to put more out into the controller than they can handle. This causes distortion and degradation of the signal before it even reaches the antennas. Some people even end up with less range than they had with stock antennas because the distortion is so bad. The attenuator takes it down a notch so you don't get distortion.

The USA allows a maximum of 1000mw output power on 2.4ghz WiFi. My understanding is the older firmware limited power output to something stupidly low like 50 or 100mw to accommodate other countries more restrictive levels. But a recent firmware update has an option to select your country as it relates to WiFi power output. I have no idea if it actually allows the full 1000mw when set to USA now, but it is undoubtedly higher than what it used to be.

So actually, instead of an attenuator, try selecting a country in Europe, which should lower the Solo controller's power output. See if that helps rather than hurts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc