Controller signal lost with Solo very near by!!

Reaction score
How many SOLO owner's are still having controller signal drop While there Solo is literally 35 feet over them at a close range?, my soul almost crash into a tree yesterday while doing a orbit when the controller suddenly lost connection with Solo out of nowhere using the FPVLR antenna kit. I know I had this problem a lot with the Solo a lot when the Solo first came out but now?!, this is the reason I never feel complete confidence in the 3DR Solo let alone attempt to fly it in a crowded or urban area

Just a thought. Those antennas are extremely directional. If the drone is directly overhead are you pointing the antennas up at it?

Just a thought. Those antennas are extremely directional. If the drone is directly overhead are you pointing the antennas up at it?
Of course, also they're not over exaggerated where you're literally need to be pointing at the bird at all times or you'll lose connection. Stock antennas are the absolute worst.

Last edited:
Yea somethings wrong with yours somewhere for sure, have you sent in or tried posting logs here yet. I got the fpvlr Just so I would have more confidence with signal getting kinda low on stocks. I mean I do usually stay within 1500 feet but I've not lost my signal once yet since mid June. GPS sure the first two weeks but never my signal completely, only RTH I had was when my battery got too low on my way down to land and sent it up to my set height. I've been really lucky as I've never had an app crash either, I did have two times when I lost GPS that things got scary in those early weeks, but mines been pretty flawless since week 3.

I'd post your logs on here with a catchy title and I'm sure if like me you haven't worked a lot with logs, somebody here can shed some light on what's happening. Good luck

Last edited:
Of course, also they're not over exaggerated where are you literally need to be pointing at the bird at all times or you'll lose connection. Stock antennas are the absolute worst.
Yea not sure of your version but I can go over my head and behind myself or any other direction with the version 1 fpvlr at at least 350 feet no problem.

Yea somethings wrong with yours somewhere for sure, have you sent in or tried posting logs here yet. I got the fpvlr Judy so I would have more confidence with signal getting kinda low on stocks. I mean I do usually stay within 1500 feet but I've not lost my signal once yet since mid June. GPS sure the first two weeks but never my signal completely, only RTH I had was when my battery got too low on my way down to land and sent it up to my set height. I've been really lucky as I've never had an app crash either, I did have two times when I lost GPS that things got scary in those early weeks, but mines been pretty flawless since week 3.

I'd post your logs on here with a catchy title and I'm sure if like me you haven't worked a lot with logs, somebody here can shed some light on what's happening. Good luck
I'm not entirely familiar or sure how to post flight logs on here I've never done it before but thank you for your reply. I'm on my 5th solo every single 1 I've ever owned has had different issues trust me I know about those early months where the GPS signal being lost was a absolute scary scenario, still is.

Yea not sure of your version but I can go over my head and behind myself or any other direction with the version 1 fpvlr at at least 350 feet no problem.
Exactly if it wasn't for the FPVLR antennas I would probably flat out hate the Solo lol.

If it's your last three flights and you change the email address to your own after submitting a ticket, it's probably the easiest way to go about it. Otherwise I think you have to go through mission planner to get older logs to post. Pretty sure there were threads about the process shortly after release. Since I've been pretty fortunate I only tried once with the email method so far. Think I'm going to dig into mp and tower more this weekend, I've not had time to get into them as much as I'd like too so far.

Did you check the wifi in the area?

I think this will always be a weak point of the solo, but people don't want to hear it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Projeffrey11
Of course, also they're not over exaggerated where you're literally need to be pointing at the bird at all times or you'll lose connection. Stock antennas are the absolute worst.
Stick calibration

I think this will always be a weak points of the solo, but people don't want to hear it.
What did you say....;)

@Projeffrey11 Could be several things. As suggested you could email yourself the data logs and learn a lot about what happened. If directly above, dipole antennas (on bird) are at their worst angle for connection.

I don't understand why FPVLR went with the big coax when the more flexible version is available. Either way, the coax leading to the antennas could have a damaged connection on either side. I've never had that type of failure with FPVLR antennas, but they had little bend in them to mate properly to the controller. Unlike how the Solo setup is offered, short sweeping bends.

On my P2V+ with FPVLR I would lose signal at 50' AGL within a radius of 50', rotating the bird always reconnected. I was able to fly +3600' at 150'AGL with no LOS due to trees.

Reactions: Old Gimper
I'm not entirely familiar or sure how to post flight logs on here I've never done it before but thank you for your reply. I'm on my 5th solo every single 1 I've ever owned has had different issues trust me I know about those early months where the GPS signal being lost was a absolute scary scenario, still is.
5th Solo? WOW! I still have the one I got in June. Same version, same hardware as you have right now.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
5th Solo? WOW! I still have the one I got in June. Same version, same hardware as you have right now.
Yea that's scary I've heard of having 2 with issues but this is the first I've seen more than that, I'm not implying Jeff is doing anything, but I do have to believe it's somehow related to the area or something whether it's large scale or he's been flying in a fairly small area. My neighbor has a jammer with his security system I think, it kills every car remote and a lot of other household wireless devices near us, doesn't seem to affect rc though and I've got near twenty of all shapes and sizes. His house is mostly underground as well ill have to post a vid it's pretty cool. This worried me when I got my phantom and even more with solo after seeing the early posts about interference.

Jeffery is it the same issues repeatedly or a bunch of different ones, it's just crazy that you'd see 6 defects, I know solo has had its share of issues but that would seem to show its a huge number of defects overall?

There has to be some kinda explanation, if your doing everything right no matter what it is 3dr should investigate your area or those birds you returneds logs. Could be very useful info on not only what's affecting you constantly, but could give insight to what a lot of the issues are stemming from that's maybe just more concentrated around you. They seem to be working to fix all they find pretty quickly, with any luck this next update will make them all work as mine has thus whole time. Maybe they need some good ones back too to compare, I'm not coming off mine though if odds aren't in my favor still.

Are there any odd high power interference sources you know of around you, or maybe an alien craft, civilization or Area 51. Obviously joking but it has to be caused by something out of the ordinary.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr

I think this will always be a weak points of the solo, but people don't want to hear it.
We can only hope that a software update fixes this problem and that it's not the hardware because if that's the case we are all F***** on the long run.

What did you say....;)

@Projeffrey11 Could be several things. As suggested you could email yourself the data logs and learn a lot about what happened. If directly above, dipole antennas (on bird) are at their worst angle for connection.

I don't understand why FPVLR went with the big coax when the more flexible version is available. Either way, the coax leading to the antennas could have a damaged connection on either side. I've never had that type of failure with FPVLR antennas, but they had little bend in them to mate properly to the controller. Unlike how the Solo setup is offered, short sweeping bends.

On my P2V+ with FPVLR I would lose signal at 50' AGL within a radius of 50', rotating the bird always reconnected. I was able to fly +3600' at 150'AGL with no LOS due to trees.
Trust me it's not the FPVLR antennas it's the Solo.

Yup I've had some many issues with the Solo I don't know why I still have one, other then the hope and believe that 3DR well fix the problems some day.

I've got a couple sets, but not one broken yet thankfully, only thing I'm nervous about is my one motor seems slightly different than the others. It's been like that for months with no issue though.
what is different about that one motor?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M