Flying solo near trees question

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Hey everyone I want to buy a solo to film my overlanding adventures but I'm worried about crashing into trees while landing on RTH or auto land on trails with trees on both sides (like the ones in the video). I know I could land it manually but just having that auto land feature seems nice while I'm driving or learning how to fly it better. Also I'm looking for any advice to flying in remote areas.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Section of the video is at 12 seconds. Thanks!!

Oh boy... you're talking about the kind of flying I do 90% of the time!
Sorry to say, but such environments - trees everywhere, needing to make almost "stealth" type takeoffs and landings by carefully climbing up, up, up between the teensy branches and leaves until you're clear, trying to keep an eye on everything as you perform your flight, then literally threading a green-leafed needle to get back home and safely on the ground - can make for some of the most aggravating flying experiences possible.
Simply put, there's no way this can be done on auto. Just ain't possible. For another thing, your GPS lock is likely to be problematic most of the time, so autonomous functions are best approached warily anyway.
The best approach would be to practice. Practice a lot. I'd go far enough to suggest buying a cheap toyish drone to learn "sneak approach tree-dodging" tactics with before risking your Solo.
However, I'm not being negative here - it's how I fly myself and I wouldn't have it any other way. The photos and videos you can obtained are simply among the best available.

Reactions: Killboy
A lot of times when you land in tight places like that GPS gets weak. When that happens the drone starts to "wonder" a little bit, inevitably crashing into a tree, cliff, or whatever. Usually I bring it in manually, with GPS on, but I'm ready to flick it into full manual (non-GPS) to take over.

They key tip is to orient your drone and your body in the same direction before you start the landing, so that left for the drone is left for you, forward is forward, backward is backward. That way you can just react on the sticks. A lot of new users get turned around and zig when they should zag.

Another thing to remember is that UP is usually the safest direction to go when in doubt. Up above the trees. The higher you go, the better your GPS signal.

Take offs from tight places are the same. A lot of times you have to take off in manual, get up fast where the drone has a good view of the sky (and can get a GPS lock). Just be duper aware of the wind, because with out GPS mode locking you in place your drone will drift with the wind toward the nearest tree.

Reactions: Stal
A lot of times when you land in tight places like that GPS gets weak. When that happens the drone starts to "wonder" a little bit, inevitably crashing into a tree, cliff, or whatever. Usually I bring it in manually, with GPS on, but I'm ready to flick it into full manual (non-GPS) to take over.
That's interesting that GPS signal could be blocked by something like trees. Thanks for the great information.

That's interesting that GPS signal could be blocked by something like trees. Thanks for the great information.
Well it's not always completely blocked, but it just gets less accurate. The Solo (and all drones) are pure GPS with no assistance from cell towers or wifi like phones have. They also don't stay on roads, so they can't extrapolate your location like a car GOS by assuming your on the road. So the location is less precise and the drone starts to wonder a bit.

My suggestion for this particular scenario is to upgrade the GPS, I fly around some of the tallest trees in CT sometimes and that's the next thing on my list for my 2nd solo because it loses GPS constantly. My only other advice that I got from many more experienced members and really got some good practice in today is to set A or B on the remote to manual and only take off and land in that setting for a while, do this in an open field! The wind was whipping here today and I flew in manual until I could keep my Solo pretty damn steady.

Reactions: Jubalr
Interesting to see this thread again after installing the new GPS. After having logged a few hours in this type of area I've yet to lose lock. It's rare to have under 12 to 15 satellites even directly under heavy branches. Likely summer will change things up a bit with leaves, but I'm betting things will still be solid.

Yeah the other day I got 21 satellites with the GPS upgrade! Whats the most satellites anyone has gotten or is possible ???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44