Flew two batteries and its going back

Reaction score
Just got back from flying two batteries and its going back to BB tomorrow.

First off I updated the software.......that all went fine. Went to a local field with a buddy of mine who has a Phantom 2. I have flown at this field dozens of times with my P1 and P2 in the past.

I did the advanced calibration with props off........everything looked and sounded good and I was ready to fly. I brought my 3 x 3 foot plastic mat with us because I knew the grass was gong to be long. Take Off.......no issues and got a feeling for how it handled. During this time I kept the solo within 50ft around me and no higher than 75ft. Everything was fine for the first 5-6 minutes, then the App lost connection. My buddies phone was off so no wifi issue from outside. I was still able to fly and brought the solo down. Restarted the app and got the connection back. Take off two.......more of the same and I went to 100ft, lost the app again.
This time the solo wouldn't respond at all........nothing, just floated. I restarted the app again and once again I had a connection. I landed and let me buddy fly his P2 around......showing 10-12 sats, he had no issues

During this entire time I had 12 sats showing. I took off for a third time still showing 10-12 sats and flew for about 15 minutes, battery at 15% so I landed.

Battery two, took off and did the orbit and cable cam. Orbit was fine but the cable cam was WAY off. I marked position A flew about 100 ft away and to 200ft high and mark position B. The feature is very cool, I went back and forth 4-5 times and here's were I saw a problem. Each time back and forth, the starting point was fine but when I get to the B position it would be 20 or 30 ft away from where it should be.

2nd Battery now at 50%, I did another take off and once again flew for about 4 minutes without any issues, but..........you guessed it the App lost connection again. This time I was using my buddies iPhone 6 plus (same as mine). So I know its not an issue with my Phone. During this App loss of connection I lost complete control of the Solo again and its slowly moving away from me. Nothing worked, so I restarted the App and got connection back and landed right away while running under it LOL. I'm smart enough to know when to quit flying for the day. I have no idea what the issue is but mine has one. Their is no way I'm taking a chance flying another battery.

Sorry to say I don't trust it and its going back to BB for a refund. What a big bummer after waiting for this to come out.

Last edited:
At least yours didn't up and crash into a building like mine but I did lose connection on a flight across a soccer field approximately 70 yards from me wit me on a hill over the field. Best buy won't take mine back, says there is no way to return these in their "system".

Reactions: Yourviewfromabove
At least yours didn't up and crash into a building like mine but I did lose connection on a flight across a soccer field approximately 70 yards from me wit me on a hill over the field. Best buy won't take mine back, says there is no way to return these in their "system".

They better take mine back, it states right on the receipt its a 15 day return. Heck the sales guy even said to my if you have any issues it must be returned with the 15 day period.

Sorry to hear about your crash, that sucks. It was a little butt puckering flying this bird when I lost the App / signal. I'm not even going to guess what is going or not going on with mine.

Last edited:
Although, I flew with an employee of 3DR yesterday and his Solo seemed to work fine besides the gimbal on one of the flights.

Although, I flew with an employee of 3DR yesterday and his Solo seemed to work fine besides the gimbal on one of the flights.

Tell him to send me his LOL. I'm sure its issue with the unit. If BB offers me a trade I might take them up on.......or maybe not

Reactions: AmosMoses
Going to be flowing this thread! I kept mine about 75' distance and did notice the signal bars actually dropped a bit a couple time but I never lot connection or control. Let us know what BB says too! My receipt says the same about the 15 day return.

BB gave me back my empty gift cards that I used for the purchase. They said if I returned the Solo I would need to have the balances restored to the gift cards. And as with others, my receipt says 15 days to return.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Seems the Phantom 3 is having its share of problems as well, isn't it?

BB gave me back my empty gift cards that I used for the purchase. They said if I returned the Solo I would need to have the balances restored to the gift cards. And as with others, my receipt says 15 days to return.

Sorry to hear about your problems. Seems the Phantom 3 is having its share of problems as well, isn't it?

Yea, from what i read the P3 is having its issues also. I'm not sure if I'm like the newer generation of UAV flying with App. I guess most people like the App flying. I loved my P2 with the 3D gimbal, not one issue. Bought an Inspire and it had to go back for wobble in the arms........and now issues with a brand new Solo.........Ugh.

Reactions: Raybro
ive got a p3p and its been flawless... i just got a solo today and it too worked well.
Didnt colin state multiple times, as its been 3dr's stance, if you arent happy within 30 days, you can send it back?
cant be just ones bought from 3dr directly can it?

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I've only flown two batteries myself with the Solo. I think it flys amazingly well especially after switching the performance to very fast. I think it's a keeper unless something goes terribly wrong in the near future.

It's unfortunate people are having issues.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yea it is. I'm still on the fence if I'm going to return for a refund or return it and try and get a new one. I still have a P2 with gimbal I can fly

I noticed a bunch of people talking at least on RC Planet how hot the Solo gets. I agree the heat from the shell and motors was much more than my Phantom 2. Granted it was 90f yesterday. If I every pick up another one I'm going to paint it white

Yea it is. I'm still on the fence if I'm going to return for a refund or return it and try and get a new one. I still have a P2 with gimbal I can fly
Truth be told, I was feeling the same way yesterday too. When I got home from work early this morning put another battery through it and tried a few of the flight features out. Orbit and follow me and I'm keeping it! The potential is far beyond anything that DJI is offering in the foreseeable future.
I know you didn't ask me for my opinion on what you should do but I'm very opinionated so I'll give it any way.LOL! like me you have anther quad to fly and get the fix we all need. I'd say swap it out if ya can then kinda shelf it for a bit. I'm betting that we're going to be seeing A LOT of updates rolling out fast that will only make the SOLO better and better!! JMHO. :cool:

Truth be told, I was feeling the same way yesterday too. When I got home from work early this morning put another battery through it and tried a few of the flight features out. Orbit and follow me and I'm keeping it! The potential is far beyond anything that DJI is offering in the foreseeable future.
I know you didn't ask me for my opinion on what you should do but I'm very opinionated so I'll give it any way.LOL! like me you have anther quad to fly and get the fix we all need. I'd say swap it out if ya can then kinda shelf it for a bit. I'm betting that we're going to be seeing A LOT of updates rolling out fast that will only make the SOLO better and better!! JMHO. :cool:

I did so more testing this AM. Not flying but with everything on and running. App disconnected a few times with me just walking around the field and the Solo sitting on a sheet of plastic. I failed to mention it yesterday but boy does this bird get HOT. Granted it was 90F.... I should have shot it with my thermo gun, to touch it was much hotter than the P2

Reactions: AmosMoses
I did so more testing this AM. Not flying but with everything on and running. App disconnected a few times with me just walking around the field and the Solo sitting on a sheet of plastic. I failed to mention it yesterday but boy does this bird get HOT. Granted it was 90F.... I should have shot it with my thermo gun, to touch it was much hotter than the P2

I don't fly at all when it's really hot like that. Not because I worry about the bird but because I CAN'T stand the heat myself!! Luckily I'm in the Midwest so it can be 110 one day and 60 the next.

Reactions: TaniaGail
Seems to me everyone that has had a problem with the app is with I phone 6 I have android NOT ONE PROBLEM ..

I'm running Android too and not a single problem with the application.

I couldn't fly more than 90 seconds or less at each attempt yesterday because of repeated loss of the signal while using a Samsung Note 3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc