First review of the 3DR Solo WITH the gimbal

This is the first review (albeit brief) of the Solo with the gimbal. Interestingly this is from someone into video, not RC. It makes a change from DJI fanboys doing skewed trolling reviews using the Solo without a gimbal.

Given the guy is called Ian, he must know his shit! :(:)o_O

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Not to ruffle anyone's feathers but I made a comment on this guy's YouTube channel about still waiting for the gimbal. He responded saying he got lucky because his was supposed to be on the third shipment. When he reauthorized his CC payment over the phone they bumped him up to the first shipment.....or so he says

Last edited:
Not much on the review side of things but definitley entertaining, smoke looked a bit thick for tobacco lol. Glad to see folks are enjoying solo and the gimbal I'm jealous I don't yet have. Keep the vids coming I'd rather watch the crazy guy then some bore.
My wife said the same thing..."that boy is stoned"! :confused:

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Oh my god now I'm well beyond jealous very nice examples here. Well worth a watch, cmon best buy I'd rather not keep waiting on 3dr to ship batch whatever here.

The old phantom may come out of retirement today to get some stabile video until my gimbal shows. I know, I know and yes I'm sorry I may actually fly my p2 today. Once gimbal shows I promise it's solo4life again.lol

Fly safe have fun keep posting vids like these.
nice footage! who owns this?

The old phantom may come out of retirement today to get some stabile video until my gimbal shows. I know, I know and yes I'm sorry I may actually fly my p2 today. Once gimbal shows I promise it's solo4life again.lol
Same for me, fly with the P2V+, an opportunity for some video today and can't pass it up...

another gimbal im not sure in the first one protune off or on

Last edited:
Reactions: Raybro and Rich
another gimbal im not sure in the first one protune off or on

LOL... You beat me to it... The second one is mine. Uploaded to the Mod group and was going to upload here last night after getting back, but got tired after unpacking :)

GoPro 4 black, 5.44 PEAU lens, W/ND8 filter in 4K W, Edited and rendered to 1080 (mainly for centering). No stabilization, Didn't spend time on levels or coloring.

Kids running off the dock is cablecam. Guy in the kayak is selfie w/speed up and just used the fly away. Didn't have a tablet W/GPS so no follow me. Surfers were manual. Nothing cool to orbit, or still long enough to work, so skipped that also. The rest is manual. Changed settings a few times, mostly both set on turtle.

Reactions: Toiletbowl
LOL... You beat me to it... The second one is mine. Uploaded to teh Mod group and was going to here but got tired :)
GoPro 4 black, 5.44 PEAU lens, 4K W, Edited and rendered to 1080 (mainly for centering). No stabilization, and didn't spend time on levels or coloring.

Kids running off the dock is cablecam. Guy in the kayak is selfie w/speed up and just used the fly away. Didn't have a tablet W/GPS so no follow me. Surfers were manual. Nothing cool to orbit, or still long enough to work, so skipped that also. The rest is manual. Changed settings a few times, mostly set on turtle.
ohhh so you must be earl grey what a fantastic footage dude...

damn you im so jelouse now hopefully 3dr available to asia soon i can get mine, i have my first footage not really good no experience how to edit and i had a firstime to attempt video editing in FCPX some vids little bit shakey due of zenmuse annoying gimbal

Last edited:
damn you im so jelouse now hopefully 3dr available to asia soon i can get mine, i have my first footage not really good and i had a firstime to attempt video editing in FCPX some vids little bit shakey due of zenmuse annoying gimbal
That is actually beautiful! Depending on the software you have, you can "pro" it up to be near perfect.

Just some ideas:
-Remove the fish eye from the clips individually (I use Premiere when I need to do this, but GP Studio does a nice job)

-Stabilize each clip individually (again I use Premiere when needed, but there are free stand alone products also) Starting with 4K helps here.

-Crop the clips to center and/or remove the occasional prop in the picture (this is another place where 4K helps)

Another good tip is to generally never pan or tilt (for effect rather than setup or adjustment) faster than the speed it would take 7 seconds to move from one end of the FOV to the other (you were fine on this but it is a great and simple tip to remember)

Nice Job!!! Can I come shoot there?

That is actually beautiful! Depending on the software you have, you can "pro" it up to be near perfect.

Just some ideas:
-Remove the fish eye from the clips individually (I use Premiere when I need to do this, but GP Studio does a nice job)

-Stabilize each clip individually (again I use Premiere when needed, but there are free stand alone products also) Starting with 4K helps here.

-Crop the clips to center and/or remove the occasional prop in the picture (this is another place where 4K helps)

Another good tip is to never pan or tilt (for effect rather than setup or adjustment) faster than the speed it would take 7 seconds to move from one end of the FOV to the other (you were fine on this but it is a great and simple tip to remember)

Nice Job!!!
thanks earl im learning little by little how to make video edit i will take note your suggestion and i will try again.

I think that is driving some of the pixle peepers downing this gimbal. If I understand correctly solo was meant o to be a video platform with cinematic moves one person could do. You rarely see fast pans in motion pictures, and if you do they were intentional for effect, and not very stable or clean. Flying solo like a toy RC plane and hoping to get spot on video is not going to happen. Not on Solo not on DJI, the good looking P3 Pro stuff is the slow stuff

thanks earl im learning little by little how to make video edit i will take note your suggestion and i will try again.
Don't get me wrong.. It is great :)

Whenever I look at anything (much including anything I do) I always find things to improve :)

I think that is driving some of the pixle peepers downing this gimbal. If I understand correctly solo was meant o to be a video platform with cinematic moves one person could do. You rarely see fast pans in motion pictures, and if you do they were intentional for effect, and not very stable or clean. Flying solo like a toy RC plane and hoping to get spot on video is not going to happen. Not on Solo not on DJI, the good looking P3 Pro stuff is the slow stuff
Yes. The platform doesn't matter when it comes to this. Could be an airplane, a rail dolly or a wheelchair. Somebody posted a good link to panning advice earlier that was spot on....

Panning Best Practices

Just some ideas:

Another good tip is to generally never pan or tilt (for effect rather than setup or adjustment) faster than the speed it would take 7 seconds to move from one end of the FOV to the other (you were fine on this but it is a great and simple tip to remember)

Nice Job!!! Can I come shoot there?
ofcourse earl you can shot what ever you want but this place is too far from yours just search boracay island philippines and flying drone here no ristriction lol there is a one guy name rider he posted in vimeo name inspired in palawan

ofcourse earl you can shot what ever you want but this place is too far from yours just search boracay island philippines and flying drone here no ristriction lol there is a one guy name rider he posted in vimeo name inspired in palawan
It is possible I will actually get a chance to go to the Philippines for work. Speaking of which, I have to go and do some other work now :)

Cheers

And technically speaking, notwithstanding his video indicates he flew at a very low altitude with no one around (safe for his location at that time) , he violated FAA Guidelines by flying that close to LAX and violated LA County Law which disallows UAVs at all their beaches. Of course rules/laws are only as good as their enforcement. We all drive faster than the speed limit when we think we won't get caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed. difference being speed limits are ground laws. people still don't take air laws seriously and what can happen, especially around one of the busiest airports.

knowing this guy (and a bunch of LA people), they aren't going to car (or do their diligence and research) no-fly zones in LA. all beaches are essentially off limits be it near an airport or a national park. anyone with a smart phone that claims "they didn't know" needs to spend more time googling the rules than planning selfies.

damn you im so jelouse now hopefully 3dr available to asia soon i can get mine, i have my first footage not really good no experience how to edit and i had a firstime to attempt video editing in FCPX some vids little bit shakey due of zenmuse annoying gimbal
I WANT TO LIVE THERE. NOW!
Amazing footage

It was also shot with a DJI Inspire 1. The Go Pro can't even come close to that quality of video. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44