First review of the 3DR Solo WITH the gimbal

Reaction score
This is the first review (albeit brief) of the Solo with the gimbal. Interestingly this is from someone into video, not RC. It makes a change from DJI fanboys doing skewed trolling reviews using the Solo without a gimbal.

Given the guy is called Ian, he must know his shit! :(:)o_O

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
This is the first review (albeit brief) of the Solo with the gimbal. Interestingly this is from someone into video, not RC. It makes a change from DJI fanboys doing skewed trolling reviews using the Solo without a gimbal.

That's awesome....the boy is craaaazy!

huwawwwwwwwww...... what is the name of the beach?

And technically speaking, notwithstanding his video indicates he flew at a very low altitude with no one around (safe for his location at that time) , he violated FAA Guidelines by flying that close to LAX and violated LA County Law which disallows UAVs at all their beaches. Of course rules/laws are only as good as their enforcement. We all drive faster than the speed limit when we think we won't get caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Nice video, a significant difference with the gimbal. Newbie here, and leaning towards getting a Solo soon. Question if that's ok. I was watching a video with no gimbal and the creator commented that the only reliable video downlink was when his 3+ black was set at 1080/60 and medium fov settings. 'Flying blind' at wide angle. Is that possible?

Last edited:
Very Nice video, a significant difference with the gimbal. Newbie here, and leaning towards getting a Solo soon. Question if that's ok. I was watching a video with no gimbal and the creator commented that the only reliable video downlink was when his 3+ black was set at 1080/60 and medium fov settings. 'Flying blind' at wide angle. Is that possible?

I have several HERO's in various flavor a. My experience is that HERO 3/4's output 720p on the HDMI, regardless of what is being recorded. This works fine as long as you have it set up for the right type (PAL vs NTSC).

3DR recommends recording in 1080 M, butvthatvis because you will get the feet of the Solo in thecshotvwith a stock GoPro lens. There are however different lenses with different Field Of View.

I have a 5.44 mm lens and shoot exclusively in 4K Wide with no legs on the shot, and have live video in the Solo app and out the HDMI port on the controller.

I have several HERO's in various flavor a. My experience is that HERO 3/4's output 720p on the HDMI, regardless of what is being recorded. This works fine as long as you have it set up for the right type (PAL vs NTSC).

3DR recommends recording in 1080 M, butvthatvis because you will get the feet of the Solo in thecshotvwith a stock GoPro lens. There are however different lenses with different Field Of View.

I have a 5.44 mm lens and shoot exclusively in 4K Wide with no legs on the shot, and have live video in the Solo app and out the HDMI port on the controller.

Thank you Earldgrayjr,
What you say makes more sense and I assume this guy did not have the correct settings. And thanks for the 5.44 mm lens tip, good to know (with leg extenders?). Do you use the HDMI port while you are flying?

Do you have a link on where you purchased the lens? I'm looking into this or getting the back-bone kit

Not much on the review side of things but definitley entertaining, smoke looked a bit thick for tobacco lol. Glad to see folks are enjoying solo and the gimbal I'm jealous I don't yet have. Keep the vids coming I'd rather watch the crazy guy then some bore.

Reactions: Raybro
Thank you Earldgrayjr,
What you say makes more sense and I assume this guy did not have the correct settings. And thanks for the 5.44 mm lens tip, good to know (with leg extenders?). Do you use the HDMI port while you are flying?
I use the 5.44 recording at 4K W and stock legs, and have never seen a leg in the video. I have used the HDMI out only once on thIs setup to make sure worked., but have several times with others. I expect I will use it a fair amount going forward. Sometimes I am asked to provide it (director types) and have a battery operated monitor on a tripod for that purpose.

They're not, there's a number of people with gimbals, some shipped the end of last week and gimbals up to the end of June shipped Friday.

nice footage! who owns this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Adimuzio513
They're not, there's a number of people with gimbals, some shipped the end of last week and gimbals up to the end of June shipped Friday.
And I ordered in April but because of THEIR screw up am still waiting

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44