Reaction score
Got hired to film some aerials of a politician outside his office (House of Representatives) later next month!

I've been a professional videographer for most of my life but this will be first paid drone gig. Kinda nervous!

- Solo is registered
- Checked the charts and will be in class G airspace
- Over 5 miles away from airport
- I have part 107 license
- Producer is getting required film permits and permission to film/fly at the location.
- I'm getting extra batteries ;-)
- Will hopefully shoot early morning
- Won't fly directly over anyone

Aside from a spare Solo, what other things do I need to be aware of/bring? Am I forgetting anything?

Reactions: CLR1 and clackey
How's your liability insurance? Will you have a chance to see the location in advance of flying it?
I believe I'll be covered under the producer's umbrella but I will check! I have seen an overhead photo of the location but will hopefully get to see it a day before. Thanks!

Extra props, just in case. Make sure you memory card is empty and in the camera! Haven't done it with the Solo, but I have taken photos with my DSLR only to find the CF card slot had been vacant! Doh!

If you can, fly at the location or a similar one around the same time of day before hand so you can dial in the camera settings.

Walk it as much as you can, look for lines in buildings, streets or tree lines. Think of forward backward and side to side reveals. Plan some shots. Figure out a good Gods Eye shot. Use a handheld for some close ups of site features, statues, plants, signs for B roll to break up aerial

This may sound kind of dumb for a professional, but make sure your camera is on before take off for the shoot. Not having my camera power on with Solo has found me landing a few times to turn it on. With a client looking on, that could be a bit awkward. Good luck, Perry, and keep us posted.

This may sound kind of dumb for a professional, but make sure your camera is on before take off for the shoot. Not having my camera power on with Solo has found me landing a few times to turn it on. With a client looking on, that could be a bit awkward. Good luck, Perry, and keep us posted.
LOL nothing is left to chance. Putting together my Pre-Departure and Pre-Flight checklists now!

And one more thing, set your RTH to a proper elevation and make sure you have a clear launch area of at least 10M for such an event. Could have any type of wifi jammers near by that could end in a bad day.

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
Hi Perry, I am sure you'll do well.

Consider a couple of launch sites in case circumstances change and especially an alternate landing site. In the worst case, you also want to have a safe place to dump the drone if safety warrants it.

Also be alert to where the drone shadow will be.

Best of luck.
Greg

Got hired to film some aerials of a politician outside his office (House of Representatives) later next month!

I've been a professional videographer for most of my life but this will be first paid drone gig. Kinda nervous!

- Solo is registered
- Checked the charts and will be in class G airspace
- Over 5 miles away from airport
- I have part 107 license
- Producer is getting required film permits and permission to film/fly at the location.
- I'm getting extra batteries ;-)
- Will hopefully shoot early morning
- Won't fly directly over anyone

Aside from a spare Solo, what other things do I need to be aware of/bring? Am I forgetting anything?

I believe I'll be covered under the producer's umbrella but I will check! I have seen an overhead photo of the location but will hopefully get to see it a day before. Thanks!
Make sure the insurance covers aerial and drones. My business insurance excludes drones so I have to have a separate policy just for my Solo.

This is ridiculously expensive but it's a good gap filler: A new take on UAS insurance

Congrats on your gig. It's just like everything else we do in videography - 95% preparation, 5% shooting. If you can get the producer out there to tell you where the subjects mark is set up your cable cam. You can even do this when the subject is in makeup providing you get the producer out there.

Set up a few cable cams with of the subject:
-Push from an overview
-Pull to a reveal (Adding in a pan at the end to show the district is a nice touch)
-Side strafe L and R
-Overfly with a lens lock on the subject

Also get a couple environmentals:
-Orbit
-God's eye

Check the airspace above your location. If you are near an airport, just file for a NOTAM via 1800wxbrief...and have your VHF radio handy to talk to tower and/or nearby low flying aircraft via the CTAF for the nearby airport.
If you are in Class C, D, or B airspace to the surface, you have more work to do to ensure your flights are coordinated. I hear the tower at my local Class D airport (KEFD, which sits under Class B for KHOU) talking to UAV operators at least twice/month...no big deal, just adhere to procedure and you are good. Close the NOTAM, IF you needed one, once you are done...but you know this since you have your Part 107 remote pilot cert correct?

Check the airspace above your location. If you are near an airport, just file for a NOTAM via 1800wxbrief...and have your VHF radio handy to talk to tower and/or nearby low flying aircraft via the CTAF for the nearby airport.
If you are in Class C, D, or B airspace to the surface, you have more work to do to ensure your flights are coordinated. I hear the tower at my local Class D airport (KEFD, which sits under Class B for KHOU) talking to UAV operators at least twice/month...no big deal, just adhere to procedure and you are good. Close the NOTAM, IF you needed one, once you are done...but you know this since you have your Part 107 remote pilot cert correct?
Yes I have checked the sectionals first thing to see what I was getting into. Plus a few other apps to see what was up. I'll be in class G the entire time. Will probably listen via VHF. Will definitely file for NOTAM now. I do have my 107 as of last month. (Haven't yet received the permanent physical license yet though).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo