Error in 2.4 RTM. Android

It seems that RTM is not using the GPS location of the phone/tablet. Instead, it is using the "battery saving" triangulation using cell towers and WiFI. As such, your location will quite literally be all over the map. It would be like trying to use Google Maps or Waze without the GPS enabled.

It seems the work around is to make sure your set your phone's location services for GPS only (aka "Device only). That way, the app has no choice but to use it. Older versions of the app would force you to use high accuracy mode, which allowed for cell phone and wifi location based services. But it appears 2.4 does not. I'm going to try it later this evening if I have time to fly.

Thanks P2P for a local view point on this error in the Android Solo App.
Can any one using Solex, tell us if same error happening. It's been reported it's fine so far?

Last edited:
Just went out to test my theory. No dice. It didn't even try. My location as far as the 3DR Solo app was concerned was on the bench near the parking lot. Never updated at all.

Reactions: SteveReno
I have not personally confirmed, but some names I trust have confirmed solex does not suffer from the same issue

Reactions: SteveReno
pyrate, If you trust them, that's good enough for me.

This is enough info. to Tell everybody STOP using the RTM function " Return to me" in the 3DR's Solo App. If you do, Your Solo may end up somewhere other then your location.

Were just trying to track down errors reported by respected users, the latest release 2.4 Solo app "Android" so as not have any malfunctions in flight to cause lost of Solo.

The Soloex App By Kelly Schrock. seems ok for this function.

Thanks goes to: for testing &/or reporting
Pedals2Paddles
pyrate
Stephan Schindewolf

Reactions: Maddog
Had it happen to me during tests, its scary.
since I was testing close in it was easy to hit fly and recover.
But imagine you lose you connection with the tx at range and cannot intervene
bye bye solo
It works on IOS and Solex, so just leave it on return to launch until it get sorted out if you are on the official 2.4 android

I absolutely agree that RTM should not be used in the 3DR Solo app on an Android device.

Did you have it happen?
freaky, mine took off full speed in a direction that I had not flown ever, and about 130 degrees out of align to where I was.
it was like whoa

It will go wherever the (horribly inaccurate) triangulation location says your phone is. It will do so at the RTL speed, which by default I believe is about 20mph.

Confirmation from Phu of Bug in 2.4 update on Android
Comfermation.JPG

Don't know if he can do anything about it anymore? Since he doesn't Code for 3DR anymore...Wow

Last edited:
Because so much of the code is not open.
Ardupilot team can only do so much without 3DR cooperating

Phu (former app developer for 3DR) responded to the long post on the Facebook group about this. He confirmed there is indeed a bug in how the 3DR Solo android app aquires location. So we're definitely not all totally nuts. He also confirmed that rewind was removed from the failsafe and home button pushes. It is only activated by long pressing the pause button and nothing else. Which yes, totally defeats its purpose.

Unkown
their track record would indicate yes
the recent conflicts between open source and 3dr would say maybe not

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44