Electric motors and water. Do they mix?

Reaction score
So, I had a day off earlier this week and I went to scout a location for what looks like the largest open public field in my area (which isn't in any airport/national park no fly zones).

Checking it out, it did indeed look fantastic. Two problems. First, there was a huge gaggle of geese plopped down right in the middle. And what I thought was worse was the dew on the grass. Oh, the grass itself was nice and short. But the area had apparently frosted over the night before. Consequently, the grass was just absolutely soaked.

Since I'm unfamiliar with this class of machine, I didn't want to take off and risk any of the motors ingesting water. Was I just being paranoid, or is it generally considered a bad idea to lift off from a wet/saturated area?

If it's wet I take off from one of those interlocking foam exercise mats. It's cheap and light. Unless an electronic component has an ipx something(7 or 6) rating I'm not going to risk it with water.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
If it's wet I take off from one of those interlocking foam exercise mats. It's cheap and light. Unless an electronic component has an ipx something(7 or 6) rating I'm not going to risk it with water.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
Ditto. I keep 1/2 of an old yoga mat rolled up.

I have an old truck mudflap 18" x 24" or so, more for dust the moisture. trying to keep the lens clean.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks