Push and hold FLY to start motors, doesn't do jack and a few other problems.

Reaction score
Synopsis of original problem, you can probably skip to "Problems that remain" because I did a factory reset:
11/3/17 using iPhone 6+ with SidePilot (until it crashed as usual) then 3dr App for IOS, (this was the first time i've used my iPhone with solo since IOS 11 update) solo had difficulty holding a hover, mad random movements, was slow to respond to commands.

The next morning I did a quick test flight in my front yard with Solex and all was well.

11/5/17 AM I went and flew it near the Pearl River and other than a 5 minute magnetic interference hiccup that I blamed on the 25' tall 500' long steel bridge 100 ft away, it flew fine.
Went home, flew SPORT mode for first time 2 down and backs up to 50ish mph and landed.

11/5/17, New location, metal objects in sight, never got passed magnetic interference warning, tried re calibrating compass and gyros for an hour, nothing.
Went home, connected to mission planner and it showed the HUD upside down. I reset parameters to default, took it outside, and it wouldn't get a 3-d fix, in the same spot I always set it at my house, Usually <3 minutes, it's in the air.
I put it in manual, got the go-ahead from the controller, pushed and held the fly button, nothing. The only way I could arm it was with Tower's slide to arm option. Then, once in the air it would say GPS ready.
Then I did a factory reset and updated the software

Problems that remain

Factory reset completed, firmware uploaded, known problems remaining are

1. Fly button will not start motors but will land it.*
2. Solo app shows battery at 0% no matter the actual charged state.
3. Solex doesn't even acknowledge there is an aircraft connected.
4. It still won't get a 3d fix until in the air.

*When I say it won't arm it, I mean it doesn't do anything when I try, the remote doesn't vibrate, neither it, or Solo make a sound. It's as if i weren't pushing anything.

Disclaimer
I'm fairly sure that at least some of this is my fault but for the love of all things good, someone tell me what I screwed up on this thing and how I can unf*^k it.

Last edited:
Did you make sure Bluetooth on your phone was off? If you were using gimble and Gopro is the wifi on gopro off? As for the mag interference I sometime pick up my Solo and move it a few feet and that usually takes care of it.

Reactions: Redcon1
Yeah, all that was done. It wasn't really any single issue that bothered me, more a totality of the circumstances kind of thing.

1. Fly button will not start motors but will land it.
3. Solex doesn't even acknowledge their is an aircraft connected.
Have you searched the forum based on your descriptions above....? I'm fairly certain most every topic has been discussed multiple times with multiple solutions...search is your friend and the path to enlightenment.:cool:

1. stickie button?
2. bad battery data feed, check the white green wire off the power plug in Solo
3. Connected to wifi?
4. Restricted view of sky?

Have you searched the forum based on your descriptions above....? I'm fairly certain most every topic has been discussed multiple times with multiple solutions...search is your friend and the path to enlightenment.:cool:

1. stickie button?
3. Connected to wifi?
4. Restricted view of sky?

1. No. The button works fine for landing, feels normal.
2. I can't think of anything else, about to do that.
3. Fixed that, I guess Solex really really wanted me to rename the wifi and change the password after reset.
4. Nope. I have a 15' diameter circle in my front yard that is perfectly flat and I keep it cut <1". That's my helipad and is the exact same location I take off from every day since I got it working (My Solo began it's new life as a "parts only Best Buy return and has worked great until this weekend)

Have you searched the forum based on your descriptions above....? I'm fairly certain most every topic has been discussed multiple times with multiple solutions...search is your friend and the path to enlightenment.:cool:...............Not so much, maybe I missed it. Reworded, found fixed

See Pics

"Use Mission Planner or Tower to change SYSID_SW_MREV to a value of 0

Save the change, restart your Solo, perform Compass and Level calibrations, reset your Vehicle Settings (speed and RTL height), and test."

Last edited:
1. No. The button works fine for landing, feels normal.
FLY button, I believe, only arms the bird once you have a full GPS lock. You state in question 4 that you aren't getting a GPS lock.... I assume you revert to a FLY:Manual flight to obtain a 3D fix.

If you are not hearing an audible click on any of the controller buttons when depressed or released there is a problem.

With GPS some days are good and some are not. Having a clear view to the sky has nothing to do with your 1" manicured grass. It's all about the view above the horizon, 360 degrees around. Basically the GPS antenna is only seeing 120 degrees of the sky. Trees, buildings, vehicle or even people can block much of that sky to the antenna. Again you state you get a 3D fix once airborne, tells me you have a restricted view when on the ground waiting for a lock.

FLY button, I believe, only arms the bird once you have a full GPS lock. You state in question 4 that you aren't getting a GPS lock.... I assume you revert to a FLY:Manual flight to obtain a 3D fix.

If you are not hearing an audible click on any of the controller buttons when depressed or released there is a problem.

With GPS some days are good and some are not. Having a clear view to the sky has nothing to do with your 1" manicured grass. It's all about the view above the horizon, 360 degrees around. Basically the GPS antenna is only seeing 120 degrees of the sky. Trees, buildings, vehicle or even people can block much of that sky to the antenna. Again you state you get a 3D fix once airborne, tells me you have a restricted view when on the ground waiting for a lock.

If I came across as argumentative, that wasn't my intent. Also, I'm not as dumb as I evidentially sounded. I'm aware that 1" grass is irrelevant as far as GPS is concerned, and I do have above a rudimentary understanding of how GPS works. I mentioned the circle to highlight that yes, I am putting it in the exact same spot that I always do, the same spot where I generally have a 3d fix in under 3 minutes.

I fixed some of the issues with software, and/or parameter changes but the FLY button was really bugging me.

Since my last comment, I went to the shooting range in the picture, placed it where the pin is and still had to launch it in fly-manual mode to get a 3d fix the first flight.

The second flight, it launched fine and the FLY button actually worked both times, in Fly-Manual and later in Fly. I don't know why there was a problem before, but it's gone (for now). hopefully it was a temporary glitch that has self-rectified.
Solo seems to be back to normal now.

Thanks for your help. g.jpg

If I came across as argumentative, that wasn't my intent.
Wasn't taken as such. Just appeared as a contradiction and then capped off with your helipad details....TMI...;)

I've flown 100's of times off my concrete drive way. Most days no problem and then others I can't get a GPS lock to save my ass. I have about a 70 degree view of the sky with all the trees and such, so it's expected for the most part in the urban jungle. Travel down to an athletic field and I get lock within a minute of boot every time. RevA gps btw...

These birds are full of checks and balances, to protect the innocent among us. If the hardware sees an issue then the "easy" button (FLY) is deactivated, at least for arming. You having the ability to select FLY:Manual implies you understand and over riding fail-safes is on you. Likely the FLY button to land is that the bird is armed, so the command to land is active. Myself, I only use the FLY button to switch back to FLY mode.

Sorry you are having troubles, been there done that. Sometimes we jump to conclusions based on prior experiences or fixes that seemed to have work previously. I'd highly recommend resolving the battery data issue first, then work through the other issues if they persist.

Sorry you are having troubles, been there done that. Sometimes we jump to conclusions based on prior experiences or fixes that seemed to have work previously. I'd highly recommend resolving the battery data issue first, then work through the other issues if they persist.

Battery data issue was resolved by setting SYSID_SW_MREV to a value of 0.
Slow 3d fix is starting to cooperate, still getting magnetic interference though. I've got a different GPS and a spare compass at the house, I'll swap them out tonight.

the FLY button decided to work again, I don't know why, but it did. Hopefully it was all caused by sunspots, or electrical interference from a since departed, alien mothership or something.

Synopsis of original problem, you can probably skip to "Problems that remain" because I did a factory reset:
11/3/17 using iPhone 6+ with SidePilot (until it crashed as usual) then 3dr App for IOS, (this was the first time i've used my iPhone with solo since IOS 11 update) solo had difficulty holding a hover, mad random movements, was slow to respond to commands.

The next morning I did a quick test flight in my front yard with Solex and all was well.

11/5/17 AM I went and flew it near the Pearl River and other than a 5 minute magnetic interference hiccup that I blamed on the 25' tall 500' long steel bridge 100 ft away, it flew fine.
Went home, flew SPORT mode for first time 2 down and backs up to 50ish mph and landed.

11/5/17, New location, metal objects in sight, never got passed magnetic interference warning, tried re calibrating compass and gyros for an hour, nothing.
Went home, connected to mission planner and it showed the HUD upside down. I reset parameters to default, took it outside, and it wouldn't get a 3-d fix, in the same spot I always set it at my house, Usually <3 minutes, it's in the air.
I put it in manual, got the go-ahead from the controller, pushed and held the fly button, nothing. The only way I could arm it was with Tower's slide to arm option. Then, once in the air it would say GPS ready.
Then I did a factory reset and updated the software

Problems that remain

1. Fly button will not start motors but will land it.*
3. Solex doesn't even acknowledge there is an aircraft connected.

*When I say it won't arm it, I mean it doesn't do anything when I try, the remote doesn't vibrate, neither it, or Solo make a sound. It's as if i weren't pushing anything.

Disclaimer
I'm fairly sure that at least some of this is my fault but for the love of all things good, someone tell me what I screwed up on this thing and how I can unf*^k it.
Try taking the battery out of the controller for a half minute then put it back in. I flew and it lost signal and landed. Tried to fly again and zip, nada, nothing. Took out controller battery and it recognized it again. Someone said if all else fails...REBOOT

Do you have the fly button assigned to anything in the solo settings?

Battery data issue was resolved by setting SYSID_SW_MREV to a value of 0.
Slow 3d fix is starting to cooperate, still getting magnetic interference though. I've got a different GPS and a spare compass at the house, I'll swap them out tonight.

the FLY button decided to work again, I don't know why, but it did. Hopefully it was all caused by sunspots, or electrical interference from a since departed, alien mothership or something.
I had same magnetic issues. Sent logs via app to 3DR. Next day I got a response from 3Dr. They said to place the Solo upside down on a no metal surface for 24 hours. It needs to be turned off. Then after that power up Solo and do compass and level resets. Something to do with compass possiably getting to much magnetic force somehow. I know it sounded weird to me too. But it resolved my constant “magnetic interference issues.

Hi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421