Edmunds Road Walk - 3DR Solo (OpenSolo v3.0.0) [GoPro Hero4 Black]

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Testing out my new Freedom360 ND8 filter on my GoPro Hero4 Black on my 3DR Solo.

This video is a great example of the need to know your settings, and to know what equipment is appropriate for what environment.

Problem 1) Settings for yaw/pitch/roll were cranked up to max. Twitchy, and not suitable for smooth filming.
Problem 2) Walking while controlling (for me) made it very hard to maintain smooth stick inputs.
Problem 3) ND8 filter at dusk was a stupid idea, and pure laziness made me keep it on knowing full well that the lighting was not appropriate for it.
Problem 4) I did not have my GoPro ISO-locked, so the ISO was swinging wildly to keep the frame brightness consistent, degrading image quality severely.

In short: An awful video. Don't be like me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Video Source: GoPro Hero4 Black
Audio Source: 20th November 1983 - HAWK [ ]
Video Editing: HitFilm Express
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Actually, didn’t look that bad. Manual camera control takes practice and a steady hand. The lighting is whatever you want it to be- doesn’t necessarily need to reflect the actual lighting.

Actually, didn’t look that bad. Manual camera control takes practice and a steady hand. The lighting is whatever you want it to be- doesn’t necessarily need to reflect the actual lighting.
Haha, thanks. Far kinder than I am. What makes me frustrated is that I have done far better flying manually with the Solo, and with other platforms before. It is very disappointing to visibly see yourself regress due to sloppiness, especially when literally everything that ruined what I had hoped to achieve was easily avoidable and due to my own laziness.

Truth about the lighting, especially when one has an artistic vision or direction they want to take. Mainly I was addressing the technical impact of my laziness on the footage: The ISO swinging up on a small sensor leads to excessive ISO noise, which leads to loss of color detail, loss of fine detail/sharpness, and just muddy/garbage looking footage. Furthering that impact was the fact that I had it auto-ranging, so it wasn't even consistent throughout the video, or even throughout some shots as you can see the detail/grain/noise changing drastically throughout as the lighting changed. I'd have been happier if it were consistently soft due to ISO noise rather than having it go nuts, as at least that is more visually appealing.

I decided to post this as a reminder, especially when we consider that what gets shared is typically highly curated. People can forget what happens when you don't nail the shot and you fail to execute on the basics. This is that.

Instead of getting a nice video of my goddaughter and my in-laws at dusk, I got a meh video that's barely worth posting/watching/sharing. And what pains me about that is I could have simply been "present" to watch instead had I known the level of garbage I was collecting. The result was simply not worth the time to edit, effort to pack/bring the Solo and all my accessories, nor me taking myself out of the situation to film instead of being actually present.

We have a fine balance to strike when photographing/videographing things... Be present, or be capturing.

Reactions: Maddog
Haha, thanks. Far kinder than I am. What makes me frustrated is that I have done far better flying manually with the Solo, and with other platforms before. It is very disappointing to visibly see yourself regress due to sloppiness, especially when literally everything that ruined what I had hoped to achieve was easily avoidable and due to my own laziness.

Truth about the lighting, especially when one has an artistic vision or direction they want to take. Mainly I was addressing the technical impact of my laziness on the footage: The ISO swinging up on a small sensor leads to excessive ISO noise, which leads to loss of color detail, loss of fine detail/sharpness, and just muddy/garbage looking footage. Furthering that impact was the fact that I had it auto-ranging, so it wasn't even consistent throughout the video, or even throughout some shots as you can see the detail/grain/noise changing drastically throughout as the lighting changed. I'd have been happier if it were consistently soft due to ISO noise rather than having it go nuts, as at least that is more visually appealing.

I decided to post this as a reminder, especially when we consider that what gets shared is typically highly curated. People can forget what happens when you don't nail the shot and you fail to execute on the basics. This is that.

Instead of getting a nice video of my goddaughter and my in-laws at dusk, I got a meh video that's barely worth posting/watching/sharing. And what pains me about that is I could have simply been "present" to watch instead had I known the level of garbage I was collecting. The result was simply not worth the time to edit, effort to pack/bring the Solo and all my accessories, nor me taking myself out of the situation to film instead of being actually present.

We have a fine balance to strike when photographing/videographing things... Be present, or be capturing.
Well, if you learned anything, it was worth your time.
At least you know why you had problems.

I could tell from the composition of the opening shot that you have spent some time behind a camera and aren't just, "a guy with a drone."

I feel your pain about laziness reducing the quality of the final product. It's something that I struggle with on a regular basis. I guess that I need to slow down, take my time, and get it right. Thanks for the reminder as well as a lovely glimpse of your family.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Testing out my new Freedom360 ND8 filter on my GoPro Hero4 Black on my 3DR Solo.

This video is a great example of the need to know your settings, and to know what equipment is appropriate for what environment.

Problem 1) Settings for yaw/pitch/roll were cranked up to max. Twitchy, and not suitable for smooth filming.
Problem 2) Walking while controlling (for me) made it very hard to maintain smooth stick inputs.
Problem 3) ND8 filter at dusk was a stupid idea, and pure laziness made me keep it on knowing full well that the lighting was not appropriate for it.
Problem 4) I did not have my GoPro ISO-locked, so the ISO was swinging wildly to keep the frame brightness consistent, degrading image quality severely.

In short: An awful video. Don't be like me.
Video Source: GoPro Hero4 Black
Audio Source: 20th November 1983 - HAWK [ ]
Video Editing: HitFilm Express
Don't beat yourself up bro. Some daze are better than others. In the beginning bought6 yrs ago I postdd vids on youtube that looked like 6 yr old stuff. Live and learn..fly on bro !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela