To 'GoPro HERO4 Black', or not to 'GoPro HERO4 Black' - That is the question...

Reaction score
Well, it really is the question -

By the time one 'ponies-up' all of the necessary cash for a genuine 3DR Gimbal and used GoPro HERO4 Black - Are you simply better off throwing this sizable amount of money towards a proper DSLR Camera Body and 3rd-Party Gimbal combo instead?

( I'm lookin' at you 'RobPower'... )

I was lucky enough to land both of my Solos with genuine 3DR Gimbals already included, so I'm currently just chasing down a couple of used GoPro HERO4 Black's at this stage - but am I making a mistake?

- Just how much more does it cost, to make this kind of a DSLR-based 'leap'?
- Can you make a 'budget / entry level' move into this arena, and still achieve an all-new substantially superior outcome - against the standard GoPro HERO4 Black set-up?
- How do I control a proper DSLR and Gimbal combo, when compared to the GoPro / 3DR Gimbal solution?
- Can I 'see' and experience the same reality at the Controller, when compared to the standard GoPro / 3DR Gimbal rig?
- Is there any DSLR-based solution, which'll destroy a GoPro HERO4 Black for the capture of 4K Video - that doesn't require the sale of a Kidney?

Sound off below, 'n let me know -

Cheers,

Solo-Loco
'Real Solo Pilots, bust Propellors for Breakfast'

As you are probably aware, I am into my still photography. If you are doing video work, the GoPro and gimbal is the way to go (i have a couple of gimbals and hero 4 blacks for the odd occasion I shoot video)

If you are looking for something for stills, DSLR is the ultimate but......weight is going to kill it. My set up with a custom made mount Nikon J5 mirrorless (1inch sensor) 10mm lens and battery fitted with battery is just a fraction under 2 kg, flight time is around 14-15 min max.

You need to look at a much bigger drone if you are going down the DSLR path. The Nikon J5 is no longer made but there are some nice compact cameras with 1 inch sensors, as long as the have a HDMI output and a timer to take photos every so many seconds if you dont want to use a shutter servo.

Remember the rules around drone weights in Australia too, this is going to tighten up too. I have just got my CASA remote pilots licence, two weeks ago, was a veryinteresting and hard week, but glad to pass the exams.

I hope this helps

Reactions: Dash Hewes
The Ricoh GR weighs 280-ish grams, has live-view HDMI-out, an intervalometer function (or a custom cable can be used to release the camera via an R/C channel), an APS-C sensor, and a super-sharp 28mm-equivalent lens:

All that said, I have never used the GRII on a drone myself, although I consider it all the time.

You might want to take a look at the Rylo 360 camera. The camera is relatively new and looks very promising.

It has image stabilization and its software allows you to pick a spot in the image and it "locks" there. Meaning that you can fly around but the image center will remain locked on that spot. You can also move between spots and end-up with a normal flat movie or a 360 one. For what I saw in the demos it works great and could easily replace a combo GoPro+gimbal without any fragile moving parts. Price is comparable.

Right now my budget does not allow to buy one and run a few tests. Maybe someone else in the forum did it and can chime in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea