Editing 4K Files?

Reaction score
As many of us wait for Gimbals I thought I would share some of my workflow and set up for working on 4k and 6K files. Hopefully others will share their editing ideas as well. Ultimately whether newbies or seasoned pilots many of us will be sitting at a computer soon. God willing …… and we want to be out flying again ASAP so a fast edit if you choose to shoot a GoPro at 4K is a real pleasure.

This is just my opinion based on doing this day in and day out for a long time. It works for me. Your mileage may vary.

1. I update my video drivers every 6 months. This has saved my bacon many times.

2. I transcode my MP4 files to the Avid codec or GoPros Cineform codec. Both are great codecs. you can find the free Avid one here- http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/en423319?popup=true&NewLang=en&DocType=1450

3. If you use a lot of plugins, LUTS, shoot Flat with Protune you need a lot of RAM. Put as much RAM on your Motherboard as possible. Otherwise you face lots of waiting for stuff to happen. If you just need to cut your footage 16GB is fine for most applications. 64GB is heaven. Also make sure the video card is sporting at least 2 GB of vram.

4. I use Premiere and I use three separate drives either 10Ks drives or SSDs. Adobe recommends a slightly different approach but for my mileage I like a 3 drive setup. One is the main C Drive with the programs, like Premiere. Another is my Cache Drive and my 3rd drive is all my footage.

5. The secret weapon that all editing pros know is using a RAID setup for your footage drive makes editing really high res files possible. There is a real bump in read and write speeds. Without RAID life is HELL trying to get 6K files to render in human time. For many smaller applications RAID 0 is what fits most folks budgets. Windows even has some built in RAID that can be setup. If you want to learn more and I mean a lot more this dude has an amazing explanation of what RAID brings to video editing and the flavors of RAID. Excellent Blog Post.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/which-is-t...post-production-part-one-running-the-numbers/

iMac 5k with a Raid
-or-
Mac Pro with a Raid (not worth the money for the small performance benefit over the iMac 5K - at least until new models released).

Final Cut or Premiere

Transcode all 4K video to ProRes422 for fastest editing. Uses proxys to cut. I end up using the optimized media (422) when color grading/correcting and doing effects... or at least I double check before export.

I prefer Raid 5 over 0. Basically as fast but with data recovery in case a disk goes bad. Minimum 6 disk array. Oh and make sure it's thunderbolt 2 for max thruput.

Last edited:
As many of us wait for Gimbals I thought I would share some of my workflow and set up for working on 4k and 6K files. Hopefully others will share their editing ideas as well. Ultimately whether newbies or seasoned pilots many of us will be sitting at a computer soon. God willing …… and we want to be out flying again ASAP so a fast edit if you choose to shoot a GoPro at 4K is a real pleasure.

This is just my opinion based on doing this day in and day out for a long time. It works for me. Your mileage may vary.

1. I update my video drivers every 6 months. This has saved my bacon many times.

2. I transcode my MP4 files to the Avid codec or GoPros Cineform codec. Both are great codecs. you can find the free Avid one here- http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/en423319?popup=true&NewLang=en&DocType=1450

3. If you use a lot of plugins, LUTS, shoot Flat with Protune you need a lot of RAM. Put as much RAM on your Motherboard as possible. Otherwise you face lots of waiting for stuff to happen. If you just need to cut your footage 16GB is fine for most applications. 64GB is heaven. Also make sure the video card is sporting at least 2 GB of vram.

4. I use Premiere and I use three separate drives either 10Ks drives or SSDs. Adobe recommends a slightly different approach but for my mileage I like a 3 drive setup. One is the main C Drive with the programs, like Premiere. Another is my Cache Drive and my 3rd drive is all my footage.

5. The secret weapon that all editing pros know is using a RAID setup for your footage drive makes editing really high res files possible. There is a real bump in read and write speeds. Without RAID life is HELL trying to get 6K files to render in human time. For many smaller applications RAID 0 is what fits most folks budgets. Windows even has some built in RAID that can be setup. If you want to learn more and I mean a lot more this dude has an amazing explanation of what RAID brings to video editing and the flavors of RAID. Excellent Blog Post.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/which-is-t...post-production-part-one-running-the-numbers/
Great info and thread! Although I would add that software RAID (the kind Windows does) will not help, and can likely hurt your performance, as it uses the main processor to accomplish RAID. RAID 0 gets performance, RAID 5 gets you performance and recovery, but requires at least 3 drives.

Hardware based RAID is the way to go there if you can. I have the that setup on a fixed workstation, though I also now have a laptop with a combination of SSD and USB 3 drives that I have been using for editing tasks. This makes me mobile (I travel a lot) and I can still can swap between workstation and mobile setup.

Reactions: SteveReno
Great info and thread! Although I would add that software RAID (the kind Windows does) will not help, and can likely hurt your performance, as it uses the main processor to accomplish RAID. RAID 0 gets performance, RAID 5 gets you performance and recovery, but requires at least 3 drives.

Hardware based RAID is the way to go there if you can. I have the that setup on a fixed workstation, though I also now have a laptop with a combination of SSD and USB 3 drives that I have been using for editing tasks. This makes me mobile (I travel a lot) and I can still can swap between workstation and mobile setup.

Yep very true. I use one of these when I'm working on location but it's also a great starter RAID for a big boost with a small cost. This companies products and service are excellent. Looking for a RAID? These guys are a good start.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...qXynscCFYZefgod0WsOLA&is=REG&m=Y&A=details&Q=

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M