Drone Registration. What's it really about?

Reaction score
We all know that Gun Registration does not make guns safe. We all know that Car Registration does not make cars safe. Boat, RV, and ATV Registration don't make those vehicles safe either. We even know Driver Licenses don't make drivers or driving safe.

So why would Drone Registration make drones safe? So what's it's really about?

Let's point out another current event taking place. Fantasy Football has come onto the radar of Congress and the IRS. Why? Because 33 million people play every season, some of which are placing wages, and the government has seen an opportunity not only to collect massive amounts of money new federal government income, but to also create new agencies to develop new regulations to require permitting and licensing to those companies who want to be involved in Fantasy Football. Which means now Fantasy Football corporations have to cozy up to government officials, senators and congressmen in order to get special permission to run the business. How excited do you think those government officials will be to help out a corporation who isn't returning in kind.

(Sidebar: did you know it is not illegal for congressman to receive stock related information and trade on it. You and I would be convicted of felony insider trading, but for congress it's legal. That's how congressmen making $250k a year for 20 years retire with 10s and 100s of millions of dollars.)

Anyway, regulating and taxing Fantasy Football opens the doors wide open for corporate and government corruption. It also makes the corporations be under constant fear of being run out of business by the government if they don't comply with what's being asked of them.

So again I ask, what is drone registration really about?

Its about big government, they want to be needed in every aspect of your life, so they can dive deeper and deeper into your pockets and you must remain subject to them.

Reactions: Maddog and J R
OK, I'll play devil's advocate.

Maybe it's about stopping some glassy-eyed punk from flying his drone into the engine of the 737 I'm on when it's taking off from the airport, trying to get a "cool shot".

...or maybe it's about stopping that kid's 5lb drone from losing it's GPS signal and crashing into a crowd and seriously injuring someone while he's trying to film over a sporting event or crowded area.

...or maybe it's to stop the kid from using his drone to spy into his neighbors private property, or take snapshots of their teenage daughter sunbathing in the back yard.

I could go on and on. I'll agree that when the government gets involved they'll most likely go overboard and seize every opportunity to monetize their new regulations, but the reality is....these regulations are needed! Not everyone out there uses their drone in a responsible way. Unfortunately, the rest of us will pay the price for the stupidity of those few.

Reactions: nexxypoo

Maybe it's about stopping some glassy-eyed punk from flying his drone into the engine of the 737 I'm on when it's taking off from the airport, trying to get a "cool shot".

...or maybe it's about stopping that kid's 5lb drone from losing it's GPS signal and crashing into a crowd and seriously injuring someone while he's trying to film over a sporting event or crowded area.

...or maybe it's to stop the kid from using his drone to spy into his neighbors private property, or take snapshots of their teenage daughter sunbathing in the back yard.

I could go on and on. I'll agree that when the government gets involved they'll most likely go overboard and seize every opportunity to monetize their new regulations, but the reality is....these regulations are needed! Not everyone out there uses their drone in a responsible way. Unfortunately, the rest of us will pay the price for the stupidity of those few.

all told, it does zero to stop those scenarios... It "supposedly " adds a layer of accountability by allowing you to link that person to that vehicle. but what happens if the kid doing it got it off ebay and didn't register it, or scrubbed the numbers off, or just doesn't care. Nada.

all told, it does zero to stop those scenarios... It "supposedly " adds a layer of accountability by allowing you to link that person to that vehicle. but what happens if the kid doing it got it off ebay and didn't register it, or scrubbed the numbers off, or just doesn't care. Nada.

It definitely does something. Right now the regulations or rules for flying drones, where they can be flown, and what type can be flown are vague, at best. Because of that, there's no fear of accountability. Imagine driving if you knew there was no such thing as speed limits. But there are, so in your mind, you always know "if I speed, then I might get an expensive speeding ticket". Right now there's no if/then scenario for drone flying. With regulation comes accountability, and unfortunately that's a bit of what's needed.

I'm not necessarily saying I agree with it all, but I can definitely see where it's coming from and why it's somewhat needed.

Like the TSA, it won't do anything except make you feel better about flying. Drone registration won't stop anything and like the requirements to file with the FCC when you bought your CB 40 years ago, won't be enforceable until after the fact. When I think of the government writing new laws like this, it reminds me of:
View media item 161

Reactions: Raybro and PSLJeff

Kinda like how registering a car keeps a drunk from taking out a bus full of kids? It is only about revenue and growing govt. agencies.

Kinda like how registering a car keeps a drunk from taking out a bus full of kids? It is only about revenue and growing govt. agencies.

I get what you're saying, but if you ask the average person what keeps them from driving drunk, it's not the fear of taking out a bus full of kids, it's the fear of getting arrested. If some light regulation stops the majority of people from flying drones irresponsibly, then maybe we'll stop hearing so much negative press about them and things will ease up in the future.

This industry is in it's infancy right now. There's still time to shape the public (and government's) perception of consumer drones. If we want to avoid any future strict government intervention, then the time for everyone to start using their brains when flying is now.

I get what you're saying, but if you ask the average person what keeps them from driving drunk, it's not the fear of taking out a bus full of kids, it's the fear of getting arrested. If some light regulation stops the majority of people from flying drones irresponsibly, then maybe we'll stop hearing so much negative press about them and things will ease up in the future.

This industry is in it's infancy right now. There's still time to shape the public (and government's) perception of consumer drones. If we want to avoid any future strict government intervention, then the time for everyone to start using their brains when flying is now.
Tom, I hear what you are saying, but the reality is that all the legislation in the world is not going to keep stupid people from doing stupid things. Like any other legislation(laws) all that happens is it gets more difficult and expensive for the ones that do follow the rules.

I'll play the devil's devil's advocate.
It is disingenuous to suggest that regulation is ineffective because it doesn't make things 100% safe. Adults should know this.
The same goes for taxes and/or registration fees. I like paying my taxes, they buy me civilisation.
As tomnjfl rightly points out, what you are suggesting is anarchy in the skies, and untenable situation for anyone who is charged with keeping flight safe, which will eventually result in a major accident.
Bring on good legislation.

Reactions: Burkeam
It is disingenuous to suggest that regulation is ineffective because it doesn't make things 100% safe. Adults should know this.
The same goes for taxes and/or registration fees. I like paying my taxes, they buy me civilisation.
As tomnjfl rightly points out, what you are suggesting is anarchy in the skies, and untenable situation for anyone who is charged with keeping flight safe, which will eventually result in a major accident.
Tell all the people in inner cities that. All the laws and legislation and high taxes to fund enforcement you can think of and still anarchy on the streets. Fools and their money are soon parted.

The old risk vs. reward
The old risk vs. reward argument.
Tell me: what's the reward for willingness to register/license your drones?
The ability to pay fines and/or fees for the public (and inevitably illusionary) trust)?
To pay for new "recreational"' small aircraft fly zones?
The right to fly pretty much where you want (obviously not around airports, etc.) without worrying about some misinformed screwball effectively reporting you for unsafe/unlawful behavior?
Oh, yeah... that's gonna happen.
There is no such thing as "good" legislation. A fundamental mistake and general misunderstand is made repeatedly about this:
Driving a car is one thing. So is piloting a full-scale manned aircraft, or even a speedboat. Licensing a car or aircraft, which are used daily and in staggering numbers by both amateurs and professionals for work or simply to hit the movies on weekends, becomes logical. Then follows insurance, training/licensing, the whole nine yards.
The rub as far as we are concerned is this:
Our hobby is considered a sport or recreational activity in a lawmaker's mind, that means that our activities are completely and unequivocally unnecessary for the safety and security of the public. When we fly drones, it's literally a waste of time.
Therefore - since it apparently benefits no one and is not Constitutionally protected - why not just ban the blasted things altogether? Let those high-flying but technically savvy idiots hang up their controllers and long-range antennas and pick up a video gamepad.
Once we allow the very first snowball to be squeezed into shape by a politician's grimy mitts.... that ball is going to drop and head straight down the mountain, and it'll be the size of a three-story house when it hits.

Reactions: Auminer
I guess I can't really see it from that libertarian perspective. To me, paying my fees, registering, and getting trained are something I am willing to do to help ensure the public are as safe as possible.
Agree to disagree I guess....

As it is now when law inforcment recovers a drone that was used illegally they can't find the owner. And they want to be able to. I think it's s good thing.

Reactions: Rotorblades
I rather see UAS hobby pilots be more proactive with a system to govern the evolving UAS industry instead of the wasted energy into crying about the fear of government, taxes and regulations. Really people this is not a big issues, register your Fing drone. If it's asking too much go find another hobby. The UAS industry will be huge, the system is going to get very complex and this is the big issue. Understand it, EDUCATE yourself with it, teach others and fly happily. Fight it, bitch about it, don't take part in it, will leave the pilots flying and the other watching. It's not the wild west.You have an aircraft flying in/out and near the NAS - doing nothing is not an answer.

Here some reading material.

Attachments

• automated collision avoidance solutions -Schwartz-Jason.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Integration of Civil UAS ito the NAS-Pappas-Robert.pdf
    474.6 KB · Views: 0
  • So what if I operate anyway-Pomfret-Kevin.pdf
    245.8 KB · Views: 1
  • UAV Legislative landscape Walden-Greg.pdf
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
History repeats itself. Over and over again. We know how that always plays out. Yet we repeat it... again... hoping for better results, We all know what the definition of that behavior is, don't we?
Here's a fairly comparable analogy:
Anyone remember the first Ultralight aircraft? Unregulated, they zipped around the skies piloted by people of seemingly no intelligence whatsoever. They very often went down, killing the pilot. Or crashed into,a house. Or car. Or whatever. "Commonsense" legislation was considered. "Reasonable" restrictions proposed.
What very damned near happened? They were only a cat's whisker away from full FAA regulation requiring experimental aircraft status, including requiring a full private pilots ticket to operate. I'm serious, guys - it was only a heartbeat away!
Except private pilots had their own voice. Self-policing rules, restrictions, and aircraft performance stats were universally accepted. Since a whoooole bunch of pilots flew ultralights, many of which threatened to quit flying altogether if banned - they were restricted finally in a reasonable enough way. Max weight, airspeed, no passengers of anything but student pilot status... the details have changed through the years but the core is intact.
Seems to me we could do the same thing here. There are a ton more of us.
Sadly, it ain't gonna be in the cards. So many of us aren't willing to even put up a token fight - are eagerly awaiting the day they can register their drone, in fact - that I fear we've already lost the battle without touching off even one shot.

Reactions: Jubalr
I rather see UAS hobby pilots be more proactive with a system to govern the evolving UAS industry instead of the wasted energy into crying about the fear of government, taxes and regulations. Really people this is not a big issues, register your Fing drone. If it's asking too much go find another hobby. The UAS industry will be huge, the system is going to get very complex and this is the big issue. Understand it, EDUCATE yourself with it, teach others and fly happily. Fight it, bitch about it, don't take part in it, will leave the pilots flying and the other watching. It's not the wild west.You have an aircraft flying in/out and near the NAS - doing nothing is not an answer.

Here some reading material.

Agree 100%.

Reactions: nexxypoo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000