Drone Registration. What's it really about?

I rather see UAS hobby pilots be more proactive with a system to govern the evolving UAS industry instead of the wasted energy into crying about the fear of government, taxes and regulations. Really people this is not a big issues, register your Fing drone. If it's asking too much go find another hobby. The UAS industry will be huge, the system is going to get very complex and this is the big issue. Understand it, EDUCATE yourself with it, teach others and fly happily. Fight it, bitch about it, don't take part in it, will leave the pilots flying and the other watching. It's not the wild west.You have an aircraft flying in/out and near the NAS - doing nothing is not an answer.

Here some reading material.
ditto. the anti-establishment, anti-tax, anti-government rhetoric is not appropriate in this case IMHO

Well, all righty then! Seems a closed issue.
We'll all cross our fingers, plunk our heads into the sand, and hope for the best.
Or... maybe speak out to the AMA. Other like-minded groups. Write Congressmen, Senators, well hell, the President. Bombard the FAA with emails. Submit ideas of our own for potential self-governing policies. You know, old fashioned stuff like that.
Oh... we can't get mad. Oops! Most of the things listed above require a bit of anger to provide stimulus for carry-through. Follow through if you will. Oh well... guess we've already lost after all.
The real pity is that many will think:
Exactly what have we lost?
Ahem.

Well, all righty then! Seems a closed issue.
We'll all cross our fingers, plunk our heads into the sand, and hope for the best.
Or... maybe speak out to the AMA. Other like-minded groups. Write Congressmen, Senators, well hell, the President. Bombard the FAA with emails. Submit ideas of our own for potential self-governing policies. You know, old fashioned stuff like that.
Oh... we can't get mad. Oops! Most of the things listed above require a bit of anger to provide stimulus for carry-through. Follow through if you will. Oh well... guess we've already lost after all.
The real pity is that many will think:
Exactly what have we lost?
Ahem.
Marich, people like you and I are becoming dinosaurs, we come from a time when we took care of our own problems and thought for ourselves. Too many people today want the govt. to do all their thinking for them instead of being responsible for their own actions. I wish them the best of luck with their way of thinking, I want nothing to do with it.

Marich, people like you and I are becoming dinosaurs, we come from a time when we took care of our own problems and thought for ourselves. Too many people today want the govt. to do all their thinking for them instead of being responsible for their own actions. I wish them the best of luck with their way of thinking, I want nothing to do with it.
Yep. Very true.
Sad, isn't it. Well. You know, never in my life did I ever expect to say "Well, there's nothing I can do about it". Guess those days are long gone.
I echo your good wishes to others who believe differently. I guess time will tell.
In the meantime, the Gov will be busily collecting personal info, taxing every conceivable thing drone-related possible, and licensing large commercial companies to operate virtually at will.
"Your Federal Drone identifation and Operators Permit have arrived, sir! Have a splendid day".
And if you believe for one nanosecond I'm exaggerating - you've never had your freedoms trampled on like I have or simply fought like me to simply get where am today.
image.jpeg

Reactions: J R
LOL. Come on fellas, you're being a little over-dramatic don't you think?
So, because we see no problem with regulation of airspace, we therefore "want the govt. to do all their thinking for them instead of being responsible for their own actions".? I'm sure you know that not to be the case....

Reactions: Burkeam
So, because we see no problem with regulation of airspace, we therefore "want the govt. to do all their thinking for them instead of being responsible for their own actions".? I'm sure you know that not to be the case....
Over-dramatic? Let's take atv's/utv's for example:
At one time no registration needed and you could ride pretty much wherever a trail was.
Now; You have to register for both off highway and on highway use. They have all but closed most trails on Forest Service land (which by the way all of us pay taxes on). Now you have a whole bunch of riders crammed into a very small area with ridiculous restrictions like if you are over 50" you can't ride here, if you have 4 wheels instead of 2 wheels you can't ride here.
Keep thinking your way and this will be the future of UAV's.
1. Registration
2. Liability insurance, cost based on how often you fly
3. Designated flying areas, a whole bunch of people flying in small congested areas.
So my point is the lack of being, as you call it (over-dramatic), resulted in the closure of hundreds of thousands of acres of so called "public" land to the use of motorized vehicles. Now all of the ATV enthusiasts, myself included, are standing around wondering what the hell happened. So you keep thinking that more legislation is going to prevent stupid people from doing stupid things if you like, but in the case of atv's it has not stopped idiots from tearing up the forests but it has succeeded in slowly but surely doing away with law abiding folk's rights to go out and enjoy themselves. Over-dramatic? Yah.

Reactions: J R
At one time no registration needed and you could ride pretty much wherever a trail was.
Now; You have to register for both off highway and on highway use. They have all but closed most trails on Forest Service land (which by the way all of us pay taxes on). Now you have a whole bunch of riders crammed into a very small area with ridiculous restrictions like if you are over 50" you can't ride here, if you have 4 wheels instead of 2 wheels you can't ride here.
1. Registration
3. Designated flying areas, a whole bunch of people flying in small congested areas.
So my point is the lack of being, as you call it (over-dramatic), resulted in the closure of hundreds of thousands of acres of so called "public" land to the use of motorized vehicles. Now all of the ATV enthusiasts, myself included, are standing around wondering what the hell happened. So you keep thinking that more legislation is going to prevent stupid people from doing stupid things if you like, but in the case of atv's it has not stopped idiots from tearing up the forests but it has succeeded in slowly but surely doing away with law abiding folk's rights to go out and enjoy themselves. Over-dramatic? Yah.
P.S-Remember this is a hobby, not a necessity, and the Govt. could care less whether or not you continue to enjoy this hobby. If they deem it too unsafe for the good of the public they will outlaw it sooner or later or just regulate it out of existence.

It's really quite simple. Despite the vast majority of responsible operators-- be it UAVs, ATVs or whatever, there's always a small percentage of idiots that are anything BUT responsible. Flying over crowds, in restricted air space, above allowable altitudes, or tearing up backwoods trails. The result? Regulation. That's just the way it works-- always has and always will.

Reactions: nexxypoo
It's really quite simple. Despite the vast majority of responsible operators-- be it UAVs, ATVs or whatever, there's always a small percentage of idiots that are anything BUT responsible. Flying over crowds, in restricted air space, above allowable altitudes, or tearing up backwoods trails. The result? Regulation. That's just the way it works-- always has and always will.
its inevitable
so why is everyone complaining about government control, taxes and lack of freedom. Let them go back to something low tech and enjoyable, like fishing. Oh wait we lost our freedoms there too, boo hoo. Too much regulations. Whiners are all too often not a part of the solutions as they tend to be a noisy non-team player.

I'm am so frustrated with the 1% and the non commonsense approach of their driving our government. I can find thousands of examples of their failure of my expectations. All that being said the FAA has created the cheapest and safest airspace in the world. The FARs are some of the most commonsense and practical rules of any society. I'm sure many people have gotten burned by them and maybe I will be too. This is not the TSA, IRS, DNR, EPA. CIA, FBI. For those of you whom are trembling at the notion of the FAA stomping on your freedom and rights. Please take a read the FAA CFR history. I would be interested if someone could state examples of actual regulations not in the best interest of the NAS and stole someones freedoms. Please do tell.
If history repeats it'self we will continue to have the safest on earth. The question is. Are you going to be a part of it or not? If you don't know or are unaware of the other entities in the NAS, you are a hobbyist. Hobbyist will be clamp down on to some degree because you are in the class of operators that commit the must errors in the NAS. Period. Remove the errors and the coming of the regulations will slow. I'm sorry to ruffle feather and push the conversation but now think of the Matrix movies.

its inevitable

Attachments

• FAA-8083-30_Ch12.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
My biggest issue with the whole thing is, as usual, it is a knee jerk reaction to a hyped up media driven witch hunt. There have been zero major incedints and zero fatalities. So why the "emergency" to rush legislation? I have never seen the government spring into action so quickly for a non-issue. They don't care what happens as long as the public thinks they have done something.
Many more have died taking selfies, maybe we should ban all cameras as it is clear they are death machines.

My biggest issue with the whole thing is, as usual, it is a knee jerk reaction to a hyped up media driven witch hunt. There have been zero major incedints and zero fatalities. So why the "emergency" to rush legislation? I have never seen the government spring into action so quickly for a non-issue. They don't care what happens as long as the public thinks they have done something.
Many more have died taking selfies, maybe we should ban all cameras as it is clear they are death machines.

So we should wait until there IS a major incident or a fatality? And this is an example of the government rushing to legislate and springing into action? Really?? :confused:

So we should wait until there IS a major incident or a fatality? And this is an example of the government rushing to legislate and springing into action? Really?? :confused:
What part of "regulation does not keep stupid people from doing stupid things" do you not understand. So my question is what is being accomplished by registration? If they recover a bird all they have to do is contact the manufacturer with the serial number and presto they know who owns it. So again what is being accomplished?

Where is the knee jerk reaction and the rush? The FAA is behind schedule to finalize the commercial market. Remember UAS are a disrupting technology. They are aircraft that don't fully fit into the system. The system is being redefined for commercial use. Do you want them to consider the hobbyist too. Well they are and in a positive way. Please try to understand what the FAA has to accomplish. I guessing most people, politicians and several private pilot do not fully understanding the role of the FAA it's CFR and the FARS. I would like to hear anybody that does comprehend the above tell me this is a knee jerk media hype reaction or is it a more logic approach to adapting our NAS to accommodate all UAS including hobiest.

Birds are the biggest threat to an aircraft in the air, there are billions and they do lots of damage. I still don't believe all the reports from airline pilots that they had a close call with a drone. With SuperMan vision a pilot MIGHT be able to spot a small drone close to their plane while flying at 400 knots. They don't see a bird until it's too late and gone through an engine or through the windscreen. A Canadian goose is a pretty big and heavy bird.
This is very similar to the gun debate. Instead of looking at the folks that have mental issues they're gonna blame it on the gun. Vey indicative of the current knee jerk administration we currently have.
Our government is really good at screwing things up and as much as they say we do, we DON'T have a say so in these matters.
I definitely don't fly near airports or near the Whitehouse (who wants to do that anyway? Those people make me sick!)
So, how many drones have killed people, flown in unauthorized areas. NONE. OR you could ask, how many idiots have hurt people with there drones and how many idiots have flown their drones in unauthorized areas. SEVERAL.
How many guns have shot and killed people? NONE.
How many thugs and mentally deranged people have shot and killed people? MANY.
Registration will do nothing but create another layer of bloated bureaucracy in an already overly bloated government.

Last edited:
What part of "regulation does not keep stupid people from doing stupid things" do you not understand. So my question is what is being accomplished by registration? If they recover a bird all they have to do is contact the manufacturer with the serial number and presto they know who owns it. So again what is being accomplished?
And presto now the FAA has to be in contact with every drone mfg. Oh yea every DIY MR builder. Also track down records for all those companies that go out of business. Dreamful but not practical. Talk about another useless layer of government.

So what it does it accomplish?

1st. It creates a big scary database so the mean people at the FAA can be more efficient.
2nd it puts mechanism in place so the authorities (- TBD) can quickly violate your god given rights to privacy and make you verify your registration. You can still protest and get angry and then maybe a rogue authority figure decide to taze and beat you for your action and the fear of all UAS people- because of the media hype. Then we can all run out and wear tees shirts that Hobbyist UAS lives matter.

People have a strong fear of what thy don't understand. I really like to hear more alternative solutions the FAA should consider. But 1st please understand what the FAA does. It's not like they are equipped with a magic ass pack from which they pull out a wand and make everybody happy that owns a drone.

1. Registration
With respect, the ATV issue is probably about a lot more than your frustrations. I would Hazzard a guess that it is to do with ecological considerations, the enjoyment of those areas by non-ATV users (who also pay taxes), and anticipation of large legal costs associated with ATV users who hurt themselves riding and then sue the authorities because they are of the opinion nothing is ever their fault. Just a guess though...

With respect, the ATV issue is probably about a lot more than your frustrations. I would Hazzard a guess that it is to do with ecological considerations, the enjoyment of those areas by non-ATV users (who also pay taxes), and anticipation of large legal costs associated with ATV users who hurt themselves riding and then sue the authorities because they are of the opinion nothing is ever their fault. Just a guess though...
With respect, we have set tens of millions of acres aside for those people that want to enjoy solitude, it is known as national parks and wilderness areas. As far as I know people cannot sue the govt. if they get hurt. There was a time when the forest service managed public lands for everyone's enjoyment, now all they do is manage by closure. The F.S. is run by environmentalists now instead of conservationists. As far as ecological issues I doubt that, beings cattle do far more damage to forest land than atv's. It is all about control. Ultimately, with govt. involvement the same will happen to this pastime, your personal enjoyment of a hobby is irrelevant.

Last edited:
What part of "regulation does not keep stupid people from doing stupid things" do you not understand. So my question is what is being accomplished by registration?

Where did I say regulation prevented stupidity? It just seemed to me you were saying that since regulations can't prevent anything, why do we need regulation? Perhaps I misunderstood.

Regulations in any arena can deter but of course not prevent misdeeds. But regulations have as much to do about enforcement as they do prevention.

Last summer during a local parade there was someone flying a DJI drone directly over the participants-- low between buildings and in proximity of all kinds of power & utility lines. Say for example that rig had crashed into the crowd and the person in control was identified. Without any enforceable rule in effect I suppose all the authorities could would be to chew him out?

Ok, a silly example for sure as I expect there would be other public endangerment issues in play. But the point being that there needs to be actionable rules in effect to deal folks who simply ignore safety issues.

IMO, the regulations I've seen offered by the FAA make perfect sense. Should not interfere in the least with anyone's enjoyment in operating their UAV while at the same time laying down some ground rules that try to deal with what will surely be an ongoing issue.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Wow, it's great to see a bunch of passionate people and interesting to hear both sides of the coin, those for and against registration.

As a helicopter pilot I want to know that when I'm flying, I'm not going to smash into a drone because someone wants to get up close and personal to my aircraft. Or because they just don't realize that I can fly at any altitude I want (10ft-10000ft). Aeroplanes have to be at least 1000ft unless taking off or landing.

It was mentioned that there has been zero major accidents and zero fatalities, while this is true at the moment I guarantee its only a matter of time before its history and I sure don't want to be the first or ever part of it. That way of looking at it is why the aviation industry is so fiercely regulated, because that was the mentality until a catastrophic accident killed lots of people. Why wait for that when we can learn from our previous mistakes and be proactive.

The aviation industry is built around a safety first environment and I believe the same should be for drone operators. A registration system would go towards accountability and therefore safety. I also think that an operators license or at the very least awareness training should be conducted and this shouldn't be a one off it should be annually or biennially. Rules and regs change and we forget things so it's always good to brush up on your knowledge.

You guys are effectively operating in our environment and we welcome you just as long as we can make it as safe and possible but we need your help for that. Drones are awesome machines and aren't going away any time soon but we should be moving to make it safer.

Are there any apps to say where you're flying?

Wow, it's great to see a bunch of passionate people and interesting to hear both sides of the coin, those for and against registration.

As a helicopter pilot I want to know that when I'm flying, I'm not going to smash into a drone because someone wants to get up close and personal to my aircraft. Or because they just don't realize that I can fly at any altitude I want (10ft-10000ft). Aeroplanes have to be at least 1000ft unless taking off or landing.

It was mentioned that there has been zero major accidents and zero fatalities, while this is true at the moment I guarantee its only a matter of time before its history and I sure don't want to be the first or ever part of it. That way of looking at it is why the aviation industry is so fiercely regulated, because that was the mentality until a catastrophic accident killed lots of people. Why wait for that when we can learn from our previous mistakes and be proactive.

The aviation industry is built around a safety first environment and I believe the same should be for drone operators. A registration system would go towards accountability and therefore safety. I also think that an operators license or at the very least awareness training should be conducted and this shouldn't be a one off it should be annually or biennially. Rules and regs change and we forget things so it's always good to brush up on your knowledge.

You guys are effectively operating in our environment and we welcome you just as long as we can make it as safe and possible but we need your help for that. Drones are awesome machines and aren't going away any time soon but we should be moving to make it safer.

Are there any apps to say where you're flying?

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the 3DR Pilots forum RotorBlades. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in 3DR UAV’s.

At the very least a safety course similar to the hunter safety course given by NYS to anyone of age looking to start game hunting. Education is the best thing that could happen to this hobby. With all the brand new rc owners flooding the hobby it is sorely needed. And speaking of age, I assume there will be a minimum age requirement for UAV's that require registration?

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc