Drone Pilots need to be concerned!

I have a question for ALL OF OUR READERS.

If someone asked you
Whats the difference between a drone and a Multi rotor ,, What would you tell them?
If they were going to vote on a NO DRONE LAW and it effected all Multi rotors or anything that looks like a DRONE.. what would you say..

How would you explain it so its not all grouped together.... Please think before you write because you never know your answer may be read by the ones that make the laws....

What the difference between a Hunting rifle and a AR15 ASSAULT weapon??
I have both,,, My hunting rifles are more powerful then the AR15.. But yet the AR is the PRIME target.. WHY .., Because of its name...

Well that's where we WI though.. whether they like it or not HUNDREDS of UAV/QuadCopter/Drone pilots are learning about how bad ass these rc toys are and there will be no way to stop it.. we evolve quicker because we are the consumer. . Its like alcohol and Marijuana but a lot quicker and faster and everyone and their sisters mothers will have them doing all sorts of things to ease and quicken productivity in any and most aspects of life.. government can't keep up if we keep spreading..

i completely agree.

the big problem is in today's Youtube age, every hobbyist wants to look commercial.
the big problem is in today's selfie age, every one wants altitude without a care for the rules.

when you combine the want for professionalism and constant bragging rights for those online, it becomes narcissism behind the wheels. At least drivers are licensed, but with RC basic piloting has been taken to a much broader level. many don't believe a drone/quadcopter can down a plane or a helicopter until it happens, then will probably not place the blame where it belongs.

just because the industry is growing doesn't give the industry to skirt rules, especially when public safety is involved. DJI had a berth at Comic-Con San Diego this year. the convention hall had already banned drones and the hall itself falls within a 5 mile radius of the airport. and yet DJI decides they still need to fly their product to promote themselves. thats like having the AVNs at the vatican - temptation is def there but completely in the wrong place. To me, that was my last straw with DJI, seeing that the COMPANY selling drones and promoting safety is not even educated enough to realize they're in a no fly zone. in the end, they just used their quads as fans to cool people off.

best thing is when people ask you to fly your quad when they have absolutely no experience. then they get upset when you say no, thinking that you're hogging your toy.

it isn't a toy.
it's a tool.
You think dji had a TFR exemption?

The difference is not in the name bUT what its purpose is. And UAV or drones should never be compared guns, rather other modes of transportation like cars.

Several categories - commercial, hobbyist, and military.
The biggest difference in these are payloads.
Hobbyists call them multirotor and until recently (in past few years) they were flown primarily without any payload.
Commercial pilots call them Unmanned Aerial vehicles (UAV) OR (sUAS) and these carry all sorts of payloads for hire.
Military call theirs Drones. And obviously we all know their payloads.
Even transport carries humans as payloads. Or shipping carries supplies.
The biggest differences in these aircraft are payloads, purposes and I guess the name.
People hear the term drone and freak. Mainly cuz you think of the military predator dropping pink bow ties off to terrorists. Not taking beautiful pictures of real estate or lowering nitrates agriculturally.
I personally feel the public trust needs to be earned in this field. In a time where cars can drive themselves, talks of planes becoming unmanned and carrying passengers, UAV's doing lots of work for humans, future robotic soldiers, anti drone lasers and so on, we need to understand the relationship between humans and computers. That relationship is trust. How much do you trust your car to drive you or a plane to have no pilot and fly your whole family across the Atlantic?
I know I don't trust it. YET! The day will come soon though.
I recommend to any that may want to understand where we are headed
read the book intro to UAS.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
The difference is not in the name bUT what its purpose is. And UAV or drones should never be compared guns, rather other modes of transportation like cars.

Several categories - commercial, hobbyist, and military.
The biggest difference in these are payloads.
Hobbyists call them multirotor and until recently (in past few years) they were flown primarily without any payload.
Commercial pilots call them Unmanned Aerial vehicles (UAV) OR (sUAS) and these carry all sorts of payloads for hire.
Military call theirs Drones. And obviously we all know their payloads.
Even transport carries humans as payloads. Or shipping carries supplies.
The biggest differences in these aircraft are payloads, purposes and I guess the name.
People hear the term drone and freak. Mainly cuz you think of the military predator dropping pink bow ties off to terrorists. Not taking beautiful pictures of real estate or lowering nitrates agriculturally.
I personally feel the public trust needs to be earned in this field. In a time where cars can drive themselves, talks of planes becoming unmanned and carrying passengers, UAV's doing lots of work for humans, future robotic soldiers, anti drone lasers and so on, we need to understand the relationship between humans and computers. That relationship is trust. How much do you trust your car to drive you or a plane to have no pilot and fly your whole family across the Atlantic?
I know I don't trust it. YET! The day will come soon though.
I recommend to any that may want to understand where we are headed
read the book intro to UAS.

Good post @UAS ... Iv never thought of it that way until I read your post! Nobody can predict the future ..but I hope your right !

Who really knows if there will ever be a total ban on the hobbyist flying UAV ... But i think in this point and time with more new people joining in on the Solo fever and other type's of UAV..the restrictions will be coming in faster ...and are flying world is gonna get smaller!!!
So from what Iv see on the News and red on the Internet ...it's gonna get a hole lot worse before it gets better...!!

All you need is just one Idiot to fly his UAV into a plane or a passenger helicopter and cause a Death..or even a Death on the ground for that matter!! I can just imagine the restrictions they would put in place after an incident like that..I think they woluld put a total Ban of some sort for the UAV hobbyist ... Just my opinion

Fly Smart
Fly Safe
Fly 3DR

Last edited:
is there a way to report someone who is using their dron in an unsafe way? i seen someone post going more then 2000 ft up and fly and lives near one of the busiest airport for tourism....he even commented on seeing a plane ...i dont know him personally but have his info (somewhat)

is there a way to report someone who is using their dron in an unsafe way? i seen someone post going more then 2000 ft up and fly and lives near one of the busiest airport for tourism....he even commented on seeing a plane ...i dont know him personally but have his info (somewhat)

honestly, cops is the best way.

any unsafe activity around an airport needs to be reported. it's like me releasing 1000 clear balloons instead of flying a drone.

Don't Fly Drones Here
what classification is the airport? does it appear as a no fly zone on this map? there are rules about drones and there are laws about operating anything near an airport. i'm pretty sure once he gets near one, laws trump rules & guidelines.

All the lo

The FAA issued a guide and a request to law enforcement agencies for issues and how to handle them. These agencies are not prepared and already overwhelmed with ridiculous calls. They may show up and handle the situation but it may not be to your favor because law enforcement may not know the laws. Because their are none as of now.
If you need to report someone call your local FAA FSDO office or control tower.

All the lo

The FAA issued a guide and a request to law enforcement agencies for issues and how to handle them. These agencies are not prepared and already overwhelmed with ridiculous calls. They may show up and handle the situation but it may not be to your favor because law enforcement may not know the laws. Because their are none as of now.
hence where this airport is. a tourist airport may not have a dedicated control tower, hence the rules of flying within 5 miles doesn't exactly apply.

This guy is in Orlando Florida climbing more then 2000ft

This guy is in Orlando Florida climbing more then 2000ft
yeah i saw something in the Solo Mod club; guy with the aftermarket antenna was in florida and tested it 2000+ft up. see attached; not sure if the guy knows he's not supposed to be that high or if he thinks an open area is fair game. plenty of peeps warn him though....thats what happens when you have a boosted antenna...

View media item 81

Reactions: z3r01
yeah i saw something in the Solo Mod club; guy with the aftermarket antenna was in florida and tested it 2000+ft up. see attached; not sure if the guy knows he's not supposed to be that high or if he thinks an open area is fair game. plenty of peeps warn him though....thats what happens when you have a boosted antenna...

View media item 81
That's the guy I'm talking about....and I know his area because I own a house around there , definitely a no fly zone

That's the guy I'm talking about....and I know his area because I own a house around there , definitely a no fly zone
he's planning on flying in peru as well. tons of people have already told him that you need a permit since Peru is already and he's just like "oh".

piloting is full of bureaucracy but it's in place for a reason. every recreational pilot knows that.

it's time quadcopter pilots do too.

I have been a AMA member for nearly 40 years and I purchased a lifetime membership decades ago before they did away with them in the early 90s.. They are great organization for those in the R/C hobby However, their "flight" insurance sucks. Despite what most think their insurance policy is not a real liability policy. It has many restrictions and guidelines you follow to the letter and even then you must be able to prove with either electronic telemetry or eye witnesses that you are in compliance to file a claim. Even with a valid claim they only pay legal fees if yo are proven innocent of any civil charges. The do not pay judgements.
The AMA is a great organization and the benefits they offer members significantly outweigh their dues However, anyone using the AMA's flight insurance as their primary liability coverage is just fooling themselves
You can still get a lifetime membership.

All the lo

Yep, better off calling the local FAA authority. If you call local enforcement, all they can do is call the FAA as well. We can't enforce federal laws/rules, nor do we want to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44