Drone Pilots need to be concerned!

What you said is precisely why we have problems. You should not be flying over 400FT. You should not be flying over people's houses or over roadyways or, ffs, near airports! Just because you think it is Ok does not mean it is.

It is a fun hobby, but that does not make it acceptable to many people and we have to abide by what the majority wants. That is why we generally only fly at model airplane fields and not in public parks. At least, we did until quadcopters allowed us to break out of the flying field model. That is the biggest problem we face: we can go anywhere and do just about anything with our drones, but because you can does not mean you should.

Personally, if you fly within a 2 mile radius of an airport you should be arrested. If you fly over 400FT AGL within 5 miles of an airport you should be arrested. Why? Because flyaways happen. A 250mm quad going into a turbine or through a windshield = dead people.

There is no real solution to this problem. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, local ordinances are going to continue to restrict flight and there is no stopping it. We will soon only be able to fly outside cities and on large, privately owned land.

However, the more jackasses like you fly out of bounds and do stupid things the faster it will happen. The FAA is trying to save lives, not make it inconvenient for you, not matter how unfair you think this is.
Well put DirtCreature..that was right to the point.Bravo!

Fly Smart
Fly Safe
fly 3DR

2miles? Com on. Ge throws 5lb frozen turkeys in their turbines. Eats em like butter and keeps going.
The industry for commercial drones has been estimated to reach 82 billion in the next 10 years. This is moving foward and the tech is moving twice as fast. It is public trust that is an issue. And people who just do whatever.
I think if the operator is non 333 exempt then stricter rules.
Who is really the one more likely to cause an accident? The hobbyist that is showing off with not much to lose or the pilot that has a huge investment and much more to lose??
the north Dakota police just received a drone helicopter type that has pepper spray and rubber bullets. Boeing has developed anti-drone laser that I am sure all go agencies will be receiving.

Obviously two categories - commercial and hobbyist. Commercial is civil or public. The companies that do inspections can lower costs like insurance which in turn could lower consumer costs also. These companies need to work within ads-b and within 5 miles or 1 mile of any airport or heliport. Along with agriculture another huge industry. Lots of farms has private airstrip. I was just in Alaska flying my Solo. It is crazy how many planes are flying there. Nuts! My app shows if I am in the vicinity of an airport. And even a town of population of 2. There was 17 airports. No kidding.
I am driving at we need more rules and regs. But applied to everyone and most of all, the hobbyists without an exemption.

2miles? Com on. Ge throws 5lb frozen turkeys in their turbines. Eats em like butter and keeps going.
The industry for commercial drones has been estimated to reach 82 billion in the next 10 years. This is moving foward and the tech is moving twice as fast. It is public trust that is an issue. And people who just do whatever.
I think if the operator is non 333 exempt then stricter rules.
Who is really the one more likely to cause an accident? The hobbyist that is showing off with not much to lose or the pilot that has a huge investment and much more to lose??
the north Dakota police just received a drone helicopter type that has pepper spray and rubber bullets. Boeing has developed anti-drone laser that I am sure all go agencies will be receiving.

Obviously two categories - commercial and hobbyist. Commercial is civil or public. The companies that do inspections can lower costs like insurance which in turn could lower consumer costs also. These companies need to work within ads-b and within 5 miles or 1 mile of any airport or heliport. Along with agriculture another huge industry. Lots of farms has private airstrip. I was just in Alaska flying my Solo. It is crazy how many planes are flying there. Nuts! My app shows if I am in the vicinity of an airport. And even a town of population of 2. There was 17 airports. No kidding.
I am driving at we need more rules and regs. But applied to everyone and most of all, the hobbyists without an exemption.

You forgot one small difference between a frozen turkey and a copter.
.Turkeys don't have 4,6 or 8 metal motors including steel screws nuts and bolts and aluminum. Ask anyone that has a A&P about what FODING a turbine with metal parts will do to turbine blades ..
Also
yes there is big money in the DRONE business but we as hobbyist are becoming outnumbered and are small pickings compared to were this concept is headed.

Just because the police can use them or the Military or industry doesn't give us the right to use them...

People might think you have the right but the Government and or the FAA can very easy take away that right. If you don't think so, , Take your copter into the State Parks and exercise your right to fly in a State Park.. See how well your rights hold up..

The sky is falling,,, but only for us hobbyist and there are going to be so many regulations that the only place we will be flying is private property or AMA fields.

Again,, I hate to say it.. But 3DR, DJI and all the others that had jumped on the DRONE band wagon shot everyone in the foot..

I Personally believe that if all of these companies would have sent there copters out in a kit and people had to learn how to build and fly other then unbox and fly things would be different.

IT would separate the serious from the ignorant. The people that really want to fly would purchase and learn how to setup and program there aircraft.

The Ignorant would look at the box of parts after opening there package and walk to the fridge, , Open another beer and sell it on Ebay...

But since this has not happened you can still drink beer and fly your DRONE over the neighbors nude wife in the backyard and fly next to the airports or fly well over 400 feet.. but then again if you only have a 3rd grade education I can see how 400 can be misinterpreted for 4000 feet..

When you're ignorant there are no rules when flying anything RC... If I'm wrong we wouldn't be reading about stupid people doing stupid shit everyday.

These people are not pilot's nor are they hobbyist,, there untrained and ignorant and think just because they purchased a "Drone" it gives them the OK and the rights to do everything and anything they please and We are the ones that will pay for it in the end.

Its going to get worse before it gets better. And even with all the regs and licence that we will have to have to fly we will be VERY limited to where we can fly...
Many countries have outlawed them all together.

Some US cities have outlawed them already.. one day it will be like the days of Prohibition...You will have dry counties and will have to go over state lines just to fly... Probably get shot for transporting home built copters...LOL

Like I said before.. If the ones on this forum that fly don't have AMA you should because they are our voice and it takes all of us to fight and we are greatly outnumbered 10 to1.

You can compare this issue to gun owners like myself and the fight we are involved with everyday.. I can tell you this.. there are more gun owners fighting for the right of gun ownership then there are hobbyist fighting for drone ownership.
Most gun owners look at Drones as target practice.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
You forgot one small difference between a frozen turkey and a copter.
.Turkeys don't have 4,6 or 8 metal motors including steel screws nuts and bolts and aluminum. Ask anyone that has a A&P about what FODING a turbine with metal parts will do to turbine blades ..
Also
yes there is big money in the DRONE business but we as hobbyist are becoming outnumbered and are small pickings compared to were this concept is headed.

Just because the police can use them or the Military or industry doesn't give us the right to use them...

People might think you have the right but the Government and or the FAA can very easy take away that right. If you don't think so, , Take your copter into the State Parks and exercise your right to fly in a State Park.. See how well your rights hold up..

The sky is falling,,, but only for us hobbyist and there are going to be so many regulations that the only place we will be flying is private property or AMA fields.

Again,, I hate to say it.. But 3DR, DJI and all the others that had jumped on the DRONE band wagon shot everyone in the foot..

I Personally believe that if all of these companies would have sent there copters out in a kit and people had to learn how to build and fly other then unbox and fly things would be different.

IT would separate the serious from the ignorant. The people that really want to fly would purchase and learn how to setup and program there aircraft.

The Ignorant would look at the box of parts after opening there package and walk to the fridge, , Open another beer and sell it on Ebay...

But since this has not happened you can still drink beer and fly your DRONE over the neighbors nude wife in the backyard and fly next to the airports or fly well over 400 feet.. but then again if you only have a 3rd grade education I can see how 400 can be misinterpreted for 4000 feet..

When you're ignorant there are no rules when flying anything RC... If I'm wrong we wouldn't be reading about stupid people doing stupid shit everyday.

These people are not pilot's nor are they hobbyist,, there untrained and ignorant and think just because they purchased a "Drone" it gives them the OK and the rights to do everything and anything they please and We are the ones that will pay for it in the end.

Its going to get worse before it gets better. And even with all the regs and licence that we will have to have to fly we will be VERY limited to where we can fly...
Many countries have outlawed them all together.

Some US cities have outlawed them already.. one day it will be like the days of Prohibition...You will have dry counties and will have to go over state lines just to fly... Probably get shot for transporting home built copters...LOL

Like I said before.. If the ones on this forum that fly don't have AMA you should because they are our voice and it takes all of us to fight and we are greatly outnumbered 10 to1.

You can compare this issue to gun owners like myself and the fight we are involved with everyday.. I can tell you this.. there are more gun owners fighting for the right of gun ownership then there are hobbyist fighting for drone ownership.
Most gun owners look at Drones as target practice.

Well said Rodney.. And I would add another, and maybe even more important difference to yur list regarding the frozen turkey; LiPo batteries, Very flammable and volatile!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Well said Rodney.. And I would add another, and maybe even more important difference to yur list regarding the frozen turkey; LiPo batteries, Very flammable and volatile!

Yes
Just think of a Copter hitting a aircraft and penetrating the windshield or the skin of the aircraft and having a Lipo fire inside that aircraft.. The skin of an aircraft is thin and its aluminum,,, bird strikes damage fuselages every day. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER NOT ALL COPTERS ARE 90% PLASTIC.

Yea gun owners fight is the best analogy to use and it's obviously not those of us interested in keeping our rights that are out there shooting each other over drugs, shoes or anything in between. Yet those of us who care about carrying legally for protection are the only ones these restrictions will affect just like the restriction on multis or "drones".

Just wait untill the mindless masses realize this about lipo batteries being fairly dangerous, every video we've seen with lipo incidents will be the next thing that gets reported on if the "privacy concerns" or idiots being idiots don't win their battle for them.

I have to admit I'm not yet a member of the AMA but will be this afternoon and this is probably a great first step for anybody wanting to do what they can to keep this hobby moving in the right direction.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Thanks also for the AMA membership recommendation. I am not a member yet because I thought it might not really apply to my use of my Solo. I don't plan on flying at model airfields or with any group or club. But I didn't even think about the advocacy aspect of it. I will be joining.

One question about AMA. Other quad owners have told me they joined because of the insurance. To me it is unclear whether the insurance covers anywhere you fly or only at a sanctioned field. Also I assume it wouldn't cover any flying for commercial purposes.

One question about AMA. Other quad owners have told me they joined because of the insurance. To me it is unclear whether the insurance covers anywhere you fly or only at a sanctioned field. Also I assume it wouldn't cover any flying for commercial purposes.
No Coverage for commercial flights. Does not have to be at an AMA field, but you must fly according to their safety guidelines:
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

It all looked pretty good until this:

"D. CONTROL LINE 1. The complete control system (including the safety thong where applicable) must have an inspection and pull test prior to flying."

Will my thong pull test be done in private or in front of airfield spectators?

It all looked pretty good until this:

"D. CONTROL LINE 1. The complete control system (including the safety thong where applicable) must have an inspection and pull test prior to flying."

Will my thong pull test be done in private or in front of airfield spectators?
It can be done in public or private, and my understanding is that you can use a substitute for who is in the thong.

I just want to clarify to everyone that reads this post.

I don't work for the AMA.

I am a member and have been for over 40 years and once you join you are a Representative of this organization and it gives you the RIGHT and the Responsibility to make sure others are following the rules and guidelines to keep it safe..

It is also your Responsibility to teach them right from wrong and to save this hobby for now and for the future of my children and yours. Also if you see people that are doing something wrong and they don't listen TURN THEM IN.

Its our responsibility to keep this hobby alive and to fight for what we have but you need a voice and that voice in the USA is the AMA and has been for over 70 years..

Problems don't solve themselves and when its all taken away the only person to blame is yourself for not fighting and standing for what you believe in and enjoy.

This truly is a great hobby and a sport and most of all its family.
When I was young my two older brothers were doing drugs and causing and creating problems for themselves and others.
I myself was building and flying but most of all I learned something and I have passed down what I have learned for years to my kids and yours.

We who have children all have the same argument in the towns we live in, There is nothing for our kids to do,, So,,, they get in trouble,, Give them something to do,, Teach them to have fun and give them something that will last a lifetime.

Take a kid flying, learn safe, teach safe and be safe and that will make them a responsible pilot and not one of the people what are causing the problems we face today.

Its my opinion like it or not.. if you disagree your just as wrong as the people causing the problem today.

This is personal and it should be because others are screwing up what I love.

I don't doubt the first mishap will be either a collision with airplane or a crash causing a forest fire. Even with all the safety on manned planes accidents happen. The human factor is the main reason for mishaps in manned or unmanned.
Hope I did not come of wrong. I understand what you are saying. But gun ownership is a constitutional right and I don't get the comparison.
Yes ignorant users are the fall of us all but the way I look at this is the FAA has given the NPRM (notice of proposed rule making) and we all await the results. This situation can be viewed as the FAA has given us a rope and the foolish ones are hanging us with it.
One of the subject areas I have discussed in my classes of Unmanned Aerial Systems is what to do about this. Solutions to problems. We need em.

I have proposed to a few companies to lock the aircraft with a password or code until the consumer passes a course/quesionair and/or register their name to the aircraft. This way we can start to educate consumers and the kids parents in hope to stop this.
Or we will have to classify two types of off the shelf drones being sold as commercial or hobby. Hobby style will have a altitude limit built in and that is punishable if broken or tampered with, also installed pass code like said above.
and commercial will require a 333 exemption to purchase the drone because it can reach higher altitudes by professionals and will be exempt to other FAA rules.
Of course no responses as of yet.
It is not what anyone wants but the rulebreakers are driving this to happen.

.I have proposed to a few companies to lock the aircraft with a password or code until the consumer passes a course/quesionair and/or register their name to the aircraft. This way we can start to educate consumers and the kids parents in hope to stop this.

I hate to say it ,, But that is one of the best Ideas I have heard in a long time

Thanks. Help spread it.
Make sure I can get some credit though. Hahaha.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado