Downloading Maps with the Solo App

Reaction score
Many times in the field when flying, you don't have an Internet connection. You can pre-download maps in the Solo App and use them later without an Internet connection. However, you can't pre-download maps from Google. You need to use maps from Mapbox (which most are Google maps anyway).

This short video shows how to download maps from Mapbox in the Solo App.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm assuming this video is for Android devices? There isn't the map option on iOS devices. Unless I'm missing something.

Reactions: Kalvin
Yes, this video was done using an Android. I'm really surprised if the iOS version of the Solo app doesn't have the same option.

Larry,
I liked your tutorial but have a question... Can more than one map area be downloaded ahead of time?

iOS can maintain both connections (wifi to Solo and 3G/LTE to internet) simultaneously, so no need for caching. Very usefull IMO.

iOS can maintain both connections (wifi to Solo and 3G/LTE to internet) simultaneously, so no need for caching. Very usefull IMO.
Same with Android. Not something limited to iOS. I use the Nexus 7 while flying and maintain LTE for maps.

I think it should be noted not everyone flies with an LTE device. My iPad mini is, but my nexus 7 isn't.

Also, here in Tennessee, where I'm at, get away from a major city and cell service is spotty at best. My mother in laws place, I can't get service. So I plan to cache maps for there when I go.

When a map is cached, can more maps also be downloaded? And if so, does the app find the right one automatically?

I just got a Nexus 7 WiFi only tablet that many others here highly recommended. My first many attempts have shown no map/sat images yet in the Solo app. Same is true of my Android Samsung S4 phone. Reported to 3dr support yesterday and the rep said only about three other people have reported the issue. I have a hard time believing that! They are compiling info for the problem, but no solution yet. I encourage others with the problem to report it so they can hopefully putsome priority on it.

Larry,
I liked your tutorial but have a question... Can more than one map area be downloaded ahead of time?
Yes - all downloaded maps are cached on your device. Just don't clear the map cache in the app.

Caching is still needed if you go flying in a remote area without your 3G/LTE. :)

When a map is cached, can more maps also be downloaded? And if so, does the app find the right one automatically?

I just got a Nexus 7 WiFi only tablet that many others here highly recommended. My first many attempts have shown no map/sat images yet in the Solo app. Same is true of my Android Samsung S4 phone. Reported to 3dr support yesterday and the rep said only about three other people have reported the issue. I have a hard time believing that! They are compiling info for the problem, but no solution yet. I encourage others with the problem to report it so they can hopefully putsome priority on it.
Yes, you can download as many maps as your device can store. Just don't clear the map cache. The Solo app will look for maps for the GPS coordinates of where you're at. If you have maps cached for that area, they "should" appear.

Yes, I confirm, on my Galaxy Tab S, I have saved 2 very differents locations, I cut my Wifi connection and I can again the 2 locations map with my Wifi off; that's wonderfull!
By the way, my Galaxy Tab S does not have other 3G or 4G or somethging else! :):):)

Do you know where these maps are stored ono my tablet?

Interesting...when I go into settings, I don't even have the choice of "map tile provider". :(

Using the iOS app on iPhone 6S

Reactions: Kalvin
Same with mine why no {map tile provider}
I am using iPad mini 4

The option doesn't exist on iOS devices. From my understanding. You can pan and scroll to a desired map location and close the app. As long as you don't let it update prior to going to that location, it will bring up that map or it will still be there. Something like that. I'm skeptical.

LarryF :
Hi.

What tablet are YOU using for best Solo and map caching ?
and...
How large an area will the map tile be ? Just as big as the screen defaults to, or if you pinch the map to get a bigger area, will that bigger area be cached instead.

Many thanks in advance

I think it should be noted not everyone flies with an LTE device. My iPad mini is, but my nexus 7 isn't.

Tro,

You should be able to set up your phone as a personal hotspot and connect to it as your WiFi source while in the field. I have an iPhone 6 as my cell but use my Shield and Tab S2 as my flying devices. When I'm in a spot where I don't have WiFi I just connect to the personal hotspot of my iPhone, download and cache the maps, shut off the hotspot and I'm good to go. On my trip to Texas, Raybro needed to cache maps and I just let him hook up to my hotspot. Worked great. I think other cell devices provide similar features.

Jerry

is it correct to assume if I'm on iOS device and have no internet connectivity then I cannot use Orbit ?
will the app still allow me to set up Orbit on an empty map (map window will no load and probably stay blank but I could still make an educated guess where to allocate center point) or simply app won't allow me to assign a center point when map is not loaded due to being in remote area with no cellular coverage ?

quite honestly I don't understand why Orbit was implemented this way (with a need of a map), same logic as MPCC might have been used :
- fly to your desired center point, press A
- fly away from the center point, press B
- A to be B distance is your radius

why do we need live maps for this ?

LarryF :
Hi.

What tablet are YOU using for best Solo and map caching ?
and...
How large an area will the map tile be ? Just as big as the screen defaults to, or if you pinch the map to get a bigger area, will that bigger area be cached instead.

Many thanks in advance
Hi, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2 10". It is a high end tablet and works great, but is more expensive than other brands.models. I'm sure the 8" would be better sized for the controller, but I like the larger screen and use this tablet for other tasks.

The downloaded map tile will be what you see on your screen. Just save a screen, move and zoom in/out and save again. Whatever you see on the screen will be saved. You can save numerous maps (as much memory as you have) and you won't automatically delete any saved maps. Clearing the map cache will delete ALL saved maps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig