Don't buy a solo...

I don't own a Phantom or Solo because I'm still waiting for Solo to mature and Phantom 3 to get the promised flight controls. It looks like it is coming 9/7.

People here talk a lot about "open source" but I'm confused. So does 3DR actually release all of their code to the world because that's what "open source" means to me.

DJI has SDK's so that developers can use it to create their own apps and flight controls for the Phantom.

Can someone point me to the 3DR's "open source" material so that I can convince my brother in law to write code for the Solo? :)

I'm also looking at DJI's SDK.

Here you go...read and learn.

Copter | Multirotor UAV

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I own a P2 and now a solo.

Get this: a prop came off my P2 and it tumbled from 100 ft into some bushes. Survived and flew 2 uneventful flights. But then the next 3 flights, it flew essentially out of control, I was barely able to control it. After every update and calibration, I finally sent it in. Since I crashed it, I expected to have to pay, yet if flew 2 clean flights right after the crash. The verdict? DJI is sending me a NEW P2.

It appears DJI is upping their customer service game while 3Dr is dropping the ball.
THAT, is out of the norm. Count yourself lucky because that is not their policy.

I thought everyone knew gopros were fish eye before solo even was mentioned in the market.
You're right, I did know it. I just had no idea how bad it was until I actually saw it with my GoPro. I am also not going to spend anymore $$$ to make a fisheye camera into normal Aerial camera. No one here will post a 4K wide video because the legs and propellers are in the shot. Zero communication from 3DR is their death knell.

You're right, I did know it. I just had no idea how bad it was until I actually saw it with my GoPro. I am also not going to spend anymore $$$ to make a fisheye camera into normal Aerial camera. No one here will post a 4K wide video because the legs and propellers are in the shot. Zero communication from 3DR is their death knell.
And yet you are still on a 3DR forum!:rolleyes:

Don't buy a Solo? I'm not sure what these anti-Solo people have against such a great platform but after flying mine more than 20 times I couldn't be happier!
Today had about 7-10 mile an hour winds and I was really impressed with the stability of the quad and I do not have the gimbal yet. Actually for my use I'm not sure I will buy the gimbal, as the video quality is is very stable and exceptionally clear. But I just always want the best, so gimbal is on the wish list for next month!

Wow, good for you. Glad to hear that about DJI! I hope that means that all of us Phantom 3 owners who are developing stress cracks in our shells will get replacements? That would be sweet.
How on earth did you get through to DJI support? I called about 20 times a day for 3 days in a row few weeks ago and all I got was the recording "Thank you for calling DJI, we are experiencing higher than normal call volumes, please try to contact us at another time." then the line would go dead. I wasn't impressed with their "new and improved" customer service. AS the owner of both the Solo and an Iris+ (as well as Phantoms 1, 2, and 3 Pro), I've never had a problem getting through to 3DR.
Yes, I think I had to call about 3 times to finally get through. Once I got through, someone emailed me a Return label, it was all done via email.

Yes, I think I had to call about 3 times to finally get through. Once I got through, someone emailed me a Return label, it was all done via email.
As the owner of a Phantom 1, Phantom 2, and Phantom 3 Pro, I find your story amazing. As I said, a few weeks ago I couldn't get through to them via phone calls, and my email response is still coming I guess.

This is 4k...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm back on the fence with DJI and 3DR. I used to be a 3DR Fan and just sold my P2V+ after an uneventful year of flying it... a lot and with the original unscathed props.

When I start hearing that 3DR support start the DJI excuses ie - your flying when it's too hot outside, or rcgroups.... is that something like facebook, or certain vendors aren't covered by the 30 day money back warranty it doesn't exude confidence.

I'm holding off on the return until I get my free battery. I'm not sure if I'm going to send it back or not at this point. I do know that I'll never buy a DJI product again, if I hear 3DR hassling folks and reneging on promises they made it's definitely going back and I'll never buy a 3DR product again.

Got an SPRacing F3 Deluxe controller coming tomorrow, can't wait to build something to throw it in. It's much easier, cheaper and less frustrating to support something you build yourself. I know it won't do everything a Solo will do which is why I have a Solo, but it will do enough should I lose faith in 3DR as a company.

As a long time DJI and 3DR customer and now also a Solo owner, I am super happy with the Solo, everything works out of the box. Bottom line, I would call Solo almost "noob-proof".

Coming back to the starter of this thread:
3DR has a pretty unique, and when it comes to service, also a very effective feature built in, the logfile.
It tells you about the exact flight record including all parameter settings, like the black box on a commercial airliner.

Parameters do not change on their own. Maybe you can call it a downside of Solo that noobs cannot be 100% prevented from tampering with the settings, eg by using MP or Tower. And therefore it's more than understandable that 3DR refuses a replacement when pre-arm checks got disabled.

Those settings are made for experienced pilots who exactly know what they are doing.

Finally, don't even dare to accuse 3DR support for changing settings in your logfile unless you have a proof for this.

Incorrect. I just got the gimbal yesterday and did a lot of testing. The legs and props did not appear in 4K. I was only able to get the legs to appear by doing full stick back and forth maneuvers. Even then, the legs only invaded the bottom left corner of the frame. So essentially it's the same behavior you get on a Phantom.

guess it also has horizon tilt issues like the phantom.
Actually, it doesn't.. at 1:00 in, Horizon Test..

Reactions: Raybro
Actually, it doesn't.. at 1:00 in, Horizon Test..

Well I've been checking out some solo gimbal videos and the horizon tilt is there.

Reactions: Raybro
Well I've been checking out some solo gimbal videos and the horizon tilt is there.

Awesome! Love it!

Is that over close to Reds Back Porch?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela