Don't buy a solo...

I own a P2 and now a solo.

Get this: a prop came off my P2 and it tumbled from 100 ft into some bushes. Survived and flew 2 uneventful flights. But then the next 3 flights, it flew essentially out of control, I was barely able to control it. After every update and calibration, I finally sent it in. Since I crashed it, I expected to have to pay, yet if flew 2 clean flights right after the crash. The verdict? DJI is sending me a NEW P2.

It appears DJI is upping their customer service game while 3Dr is dropping the ball.

Reactions: Michael Stevenson

Get this: a prop came off my P2 and it tumbled from 100 ft into some bushes. Survived and flew 2 uneventful flights. But then the next 3 flights, it flew essentially out of control, I was barely able to control it. After every update and calibration, I finally sent it in. Since I crashed it, I expected to have to pay, yet if flew 2 clean flights right after the crash. The verdict? DJI is sending me a NEW P2.

It appears DJI is upping their customer service game while 3Dr is dropping the ball.

Thanks for sharing this story. How recently did all of this happen? Was it a fight or were they reasonable?

make's you feel kinda like this
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Word up.

Thanks for sharing this story. How recently did all of this happen? Was it a fight or were they reasonable?
I sent it in first of August, was just told early this week that it shipped out, should land early next week.
Zero fight. I simply wrote out exactly what really happened. No need to lie, I figure they have ways of determining what happened, besides, they heard it all before. It landed in pine trees with some pretty good scratches, broken zenmuse mount, battery got ejected. Still, it flew just fine for 2 more flights. Purchased in January, probably about 40 flights on it. I was hoping they would simply repair for no charge but I was expecting to pay something. Very surprised to receive a new unit.

I've seen 3DR deal with issues for over 2 years, you can't dispute logs, 3DR don't simply try and deny cases as it's pointless, you can check your own logs, or post them for others to check, logs can't lie. You don't need Mission Planner to change params, you can do it from Tower, Droid Planner etc. You can also circumvent some pre-arm checks if you take off in Stabilize for example.

I've seen 3DR deal with some cases outside warranty, a number of cases that looked like user error too.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Thanks for posting. The ugly truth about the Solo is raining down upon the fools that bought into the hype. I'm one of them and after the hell I went through with the Atomos Shogun I promised myself never again. I failed. As I said in the 3DR solo owners page (before I got banned) Dear B & H, please do not do preorders on unfinished products. Caveat Emptor.
You told me earlier that you haven't ever flown your Solo because you are afraid to. ..... Hmmmmm.....

I've seen 3DR deal with issues for over 2 years, you can't dispute logs, 3DR don't simply try and deny cases as it's pointless, you can check your own logs, or post them for others to check, logs can't lie. You don't need Mission Planner to change params, you can do it from Tower, Droid Planner etc. You can also circumvent some pre-arm checks if you take off in Stabilize for example.

I've seen 3DR deal with some cases outside warranty, a number of cases that looked like user error too.
My experience also. Had a crash due to bad motor on day 2. Went over logs and explained. Logs were inconclusive but they agreed to fix or replace. Shipped it off (their dime) and had it back in under 2 weeks.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I would believe you, they always try to shift the blame, if you continue to push the issue, and can prove their failings, then they will fix it as they should. I had issues early on that i made them aware of, and when it finally bit the dust i had prior issues to point to. I pointed out the problems in the logs and sent them video, in the end they agreed and rma'd it. I have no idea what was changed or done because after it was approved it went over to customer service reps. I do know that they did replace my gopro, which was a surprise. Hopefully tomorrow i will get it back either repaired or replaced and then i can actually try it out with the gimbal and see if it lives up to what i originally thought i had purchased.
Do let us know how that goes I'm so curious I'm about ready to return to Solo.

hi, before you send anything to 3dr copy your own logs and look at them and if they say its changed then check the log copy you have, then you can see if you right, if you still have the controller then re check your logs to check to see that it is changed,
3dr are dropping the ball a bit overall, hope its just a learning carve

i give up dji due of worst customer service so what do i buy??? kool aide?

Reactions: Raybro
I think you need to look at each case individually. In this case it looks like the thing crashed because it armed when it shouldn't have and that is not in contention, so the question is why. Assuming (for a second) that 3DR is correct and that bit was chnaged to allow it to arm when it shouldn't, then it begs the questions: How can this be changed? and: Does this change happen spontaneously?

My experience is that it doesn't happen spontaneoulsy, and the it can be changed with several advanced tools (Such as Tower). Maybe there is other expoerience of this value changing spontaneously. If there is, I think you should present it.

If not, what would you expect them to do? The evidence is there. If you changed this (even inadvertently) then it is really your deal. If not, then you need to show them something indicating how that might even be possible, as in most experience (from almost anyone knwledgeable in PixHawk) and forgetting Solo altogether, says that it doesn't change on it's own, and there isn't anything in the Solo app to change it. My experience is that the logs really don't lie.

Again, if you come up with something plausible, I would bet they will listen, but this is the only case of what you propose (PixHawk values changing spontaneously) I am aware of. If there are more, find them and present them. You really can't expect them to just believe in magic. You need to make a case.

Reactions: Jubalr
I encourage everyone to wait before you buy form DJI. their rep sucks as much as 3DR at this point. And the phantom has many limitations as well. By the first of the year there will be many more options in the market to choose from and the companies are not in China. I'm going to stand pat and see what happens over the next several months.

Reactions: Brandon and Raybro
To me wouldn't this pretty easy to prove? If a parameter was changed it should be logged. What was the time stamp on the parameter change? If the logs show it was changed while in your posession then I'm sorry dude, but you changed it. If not, then maybe it was done at the factory. I have 20 years of IT experience and parameters dont change themselves. I would ask 3DR to get as granular as possible on when it was changed and by what means. I know they test the solos at the factory - calibrations and stuff. I opened a case with 3DR regarding the vibrations I'm seeing on video and they said that my Z axis has an offset and asked me to do a level calibration. I never calibrated before and the tech confirmed that the offset was there already so happened at the factory.

And for the record I would never buy a locked down piece of kit like DJI. I want control over the camera I use and I'll determine what I will do with MY drone. Open source all the way baby.

I don't own a Phantom or Solo because I'm still waiting for Solo to mature and Phantom 3 to get the promised flight controls. It looks like it is coming 9/7.

People here talk a lot about "open source" but I'm confused. So does 3DR actually release all of their code to the world because that's what "open source" means to me.

DJI has SDK's so that developers can use it to create their own apps and flight controls for the Phantom.

Can someone point me to the 3DR's "open source" material so that I can convince my brother in law to write code for the Solo? :)

I'm also looking at DJI's SDK.

I don't own a Phantom or Solo because I'm still waiting for Solo to mature and Phantom 3 to get the promised flight controls. It looks like it is coming 9/7.

People here talk a lot about "open source" but I'm confused. So does 3DR actually release all of their code to the world because that's what "open source" means to me.

DJI has SDK's so that developers can use it to create their own apps and flight controls for the Phantom.

Can someone point me to the 3DR's "open source" material so that I can convince my brother in law to write code for the Solo? :)

I'm also looking at DJI's SDK.
The forum user on RCGroups "3DR Solo Owners" thread who uses the moniker "Sasquatch Lab" could give you all the help with their open source code that you could ask for.

Reactions: Richard

Wow, good for you. Glad to hear that about DJI! I hope that means that all of us Phantom 3 owners who are developing stress cracks in our shells will get replacements? That would be sweet.
How on earth did you get through to DJI support? I called about 20 times a day for 3 days in a row few weeks ago and all I got was the recording "Thank you for calling DJI, we are experiencing higher than normal call volumes, please try to contact us at another time." then the line would go dead. I wasn't impressed with their "new and improved" customer service. AS the owner of both the Solo and an Iris+ (as well as Phantoms 1, 2, and 3 Pro), I've never had a problem getting through to 3DR.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea