Do you have a fleet? What is in it?

Arduboat built from scratch is almost ready to go.

Link to DIYDrones. Maybe it does belong here. Its not a Solo but when I am using it I am a " 3DR PILOT"

Heck, why not? Seriously, we're honestly running out of things to talk about. I understand that the Solo mods are moving along and that's cool but other than acting as a "help desk" now that 3DR is out of the picture, there needs to be something interesting to discuss. Using the Solo system to run a boat is very interesting in my opinion, anyway.

Its not really a Solo system. It runs a versions of ArduRover. Pixhawk 1, 900MHz Telemetry, 5.8GHZ FPV, and antenna tracker that Mission Planner connects with. The Pixhawk was made by 3DR and some of the developers that did the code worked for 3DR

Do you fly another besides your Solo? If so, what?

I have a Mavic, a Bugs 3, a JJRC H31 (toy), and a Furibee F36 (tiny toy). Both the JJRC and the Furibee are collecting dust on the shelf.

Of all of them, the Solo is my favorite, especially now with the Green Cube installed. I find myself creating and posting videos from the Solo more than the Mavic.

View attachment 7053
I will post pics this week. Here goes: 2 Solos, one with green cube, one stock, 3DR Iris Plus, DJI Mavic, Phantom 3 and 4, and just picked up a Spark. I have several custom built racer quad projects also.

3DRs are my favorite platform and I use pixhawk in many of my other projects with Ardupilot.

I am a drone hobbyist and also work and do development for them as part of my job.

Reactions: Undert3k
Its not really a Solo system. It runs a versions of ArduRover. Pixhawk 1, 900MHz Telemetry, 5.8GHZ FPV, and antenna tracker that Mission Planner connects with. The Pixhawk was made by 3DR and some of the developers that did the code worked for 3DR

Oh...bubble burst!

Hi,
I've got an Solo and a Bebop 2 as drones. As model aircraft I got a F 18 Viper and an Corsair. Hell...i've got a heli too 350 class.
I just love to fly.
As everyday drone I use Bebop 2 but as professional filming ....SOLO . I would chose it over any DJI product except Inspire lineup and Mavic...which are all in a different class.
Keep up the spirit of flying Solos !
Cheers from Chicago, IL

e33dffafbeca27cc7abe87003216ec41.jpg
4d2e136f7f3d7658362d3335c3d24ec6.jpg

Hi,
I've got an Solo and a Bebop 2 as drones. As model aircraft I got a F 18 Viper and an Corsair. Hell...i've got a heli too 350 class.
I just love to fly.
As everyday drone I use Bebop 2 but as professional filming ....SOLO . I would chose it over any DJI product except Inspire lineup and Mavic...which are all in a different class.
Keep up the spirit of flying Solos !
Cheers from Chicago, IL

e33dffafbeca27cc7abe87003216ec41.jpg
4d2e136f7f3d7658362d3335c3d24ec6.jpg

BEBOP!!! I honestly went into Best Buy with the intention of buying a Bebop 2 (I have a Bebop) and ended up with a Solo because it had gone on sale for $400 and I already owned a Hero 4 Black. I also own a Mavic Pro and a Go Pro Karma. I'm really not trying to start a fight but I'm honestly curious. Would you really rather have the Solo and a Go Pro camera over the Phantom 4 Pro+? 4 mile range, 5 way obstacle avoidance, built in screen, 1" 20 mega pixel camera 4k 60 fps, 30 minute flight time, etc. I swear that I'm merely curious.

You're right...but it's the same outcome with me as also with the most members of this forums. We all do have Solos because we love them for being customizable, fun to tinker and also when upgraded ....quite a match for DJI
It is just my opinion but some buddies here might agree with me.
P.S. I don't really like the shape of the Phantoms and also their tall frame. As one of other reasons for that why I own Solo.

But I'm glad you asked. If I'm a weird defender of Solo...so be it....lol. Anyway..no harm done in asking...

And by the way...bebop 2 reaches 4 miles return trip, handles well winds up to 20 mph (but who would like to fly in a storm ?) and also has 27 min of flying time on standard battery. Stable and with an variant of ARDU pilot brain proprietary to Parrott. It is a hobby grade toy if that classification exists ...lol
It is just my POV.

But I'm glad you asked. If I'm a weird defender of Solo...so be it....lol. Anyway..no harm done in asking...

Thanks! People think that I hate the Solo because I've had problems with them. That's not really the case. I just think that a Phantom 4 Pro is a better performing drone that doesn't need "tinkering". Whenever someone states that the Solo is better than every drone that DJI makes, I have to raise an eyebrow. Sometimes I think it's brand hated of DJI rather than rational admiration for the Solo. I truly appreciate your honesty and straight forward answer. It makes perfect sense considering your other flyers.

I have a Solo that I've started flying in Sport/Acro Mode for kicks. That's something! I have a cheap camera mounted to it for fpv that I don't even record. It's a lot of fun and it's a limited loss for me as the Solo is a refurb I got from BB for $160. My daily flyer is my Mavic. The portability is the main reason followed closely by dependability. It used to be my Karma but that thing lost its place in the rotation for its lack of dependability.

And by the way...bebop 2 reaches 4 miles return trip, handles well winds up to 20 mph (but who would like to fly in a storm ?) and also has 27 min of flying time on standard battery. Stable and with an variant of ARDU pilot brain proprietary to Parrott. It is a hobby grade toy if that classification exists ...lol
It is just my POV.

Yea and it had to cost a lot more than the Solo! I was going all in for the Skycontroller, goggles, etc. I think it was $800+ at the time. The Solo was $400 so why not? Parrot claims 2 km for distance, 40 mph and up to 35 or so wind speed for the Bebop 2. That's pretty good really. It even has Glonass out of the box. Includes FPV goggles and 2 batteries for $600. Hmmm....

To be honest, DJI wouldn't be where it is right now if it wasn't for the dependability and their engineering values as well as marketing skills. As for cheap labour....i guess everybody uses China as best provider for that.
I've seen a Mavic Pro in action and I'm impressed as well as the next normal guy who hasn't got one yet....lol
For the future I'm thinking to a Mavic but I can't comprehend the necessity of an Inspire 2 although I would love to have one.
I'm in trucking business as an owner op and frankly it would not make any sense for me to own too many drones for one reason....for the second reason...my wife would probably mutter something daily about unwise spending of our finances and also there's my truck and trailer ( I own an 18 wheeler) who needs a good maintenance and care because I don't want to pose a safety risk to nobody else on the roads.
But...yeah...instead of Bebop i would have the Mavic anytime...

I do all my shots on the road through Utah, Colorado, South Dakota, Montana , Wyoming and Arizona. Those are my favs for flying my drones. Wide open spaces and beautiful scenery.

To be honest, DJI wouldn't be where it is right now if it wasn't for the dependability and their engineering values as well as marketing skills. As for cheap labour....i guess everybody uses China as best provider for that.
I've seen a Mavic Pro in action and I'm impressed as well as the next normal guy who hasn't got one yet....lol
For the future I'm thinking to a Mavic but I can't comprehend the necessity of an Inspire 2 although I would love to have one.
I'm in trucking business as an owner op and frankly it would not make any sense for me to own too many drones for one reason....for the second reason...my wife would probably mutter something daily about unwise spending of our finances and also there's my truck and trailer ( I own an 18 wheeler) who needs a good maintenance and care because I don't want to pose a safety risk to nobody else on the roads.
But...yeah...instead of Bebop i would have the Mavic anytime...

Oh the Mavic would be your best friend on the road. I drive all day in my job and it's great to just stop, have it in the air in a couple minutes, get a shot and be gone in 10 minutes or so. It's awesome! I have a Hero 4 Black and of course the Hero 5 Black. I think the Mavic is comparable to the 4 but the 5 is better. There's rumors of a major improvement to the camera on the next Mavic, so we'll see.

Karma is not having a forte in GPS dept ...is that right ?

Yep! Ugh and the signal loss! It's one thing to lose signal, its one thing to lose gps, but to constantly lose both? Expletives will abound! That dang thing took excellent shots using the Hero 5. However, single band GPS, total lack of any stability sensors and a weak radio made the decision to buy the Mavic an easy one.

I do all my shots on the road through Utah, Colorado, South Dakota, Montana , Wyoming and Arizona. Those are my favs for flying my drones. Wide open spaces and beautiful scenery.

I OFFICIALLY HATE YOU! Hahaha! The good think about living in Michigan is you'll never run out of water shots, bridge shots, forest/color shots or snow/winter scape type shots.

Yes. It is truly amazing how DJI could miniaturized the gimball and also put in the Mavic a camera of such high quality. But if I didn't made the other investments ...i could've bought the Mavic and be free to pursue my dreams of flying and filming when at work....lol
Maybe in the future...if it comes at 5-600 for a refurb one....i will have one too...
That's because one always needs spare props, extra batteries and a case.. nevermind the skins , leg extenders, balanced chargers or / and some nice lights. It always adds up...ha ha ha

Don't hate me because I hate myself already ....i do oversize loads and it is required by law to travel only on daylight. So...most of my time is spent behind the wheel...only if I have to wait or to get a permit from DOT or State Police....then I have a little bit of spare time to play .
Sometimes I think that the motto "single room, great view, wife free and home away from home " is just teasing me.... it is like an RV camper but without the opportunity to test and explore during daylight.
I've got plenty of time nightly...though...but I can't fly night time...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000