Do I need to install Mission Planner firmware?

Reaction score
I have just recently bought the 3DR Solo and downloaded the Mission Planner software. Do I need to install firmware to my Solo to use it? I don't want to overwrite the correct firmware...

Thanks! Sharp knife eh? What do you mean by that?
Same as Tower. You can plan missions and download to your drone, and it will dutifully follow them. Even if they tell it to "circle" into a tree, or follow waypoints so fast it loses altitude and crashes, etc. :)

FYI: Most things in MP can now be done also with Tower, including getting to Solo parameters.

MP is still better for reading logs though :)

Last edited:
Reactions: No Soul To Sell
Thanks! Sharp knife eh? What do you mean by that?
I would start with Tower because it is simpler to use. First thing you need to do is change the RLT parameter on the Solo to a height that will comfortably clear obstacles where you are located as the default is 49 feet. Start out with short missions with a few waypoints to get used to how it operates.
Mission planner is much more advanced but is nice for downloading you log files from your device then playing them back.

I would start with Tower because it is simpler to use. First thing you need to do is change the RLT parameter on the Solo to a height that will comfortably clear obstacles where you are located as the default is 49 feet. Start out with short missions with a few waypoints to get used to how it operates.
Mission planner is much more advanced but is nice for downloading you log files from your device then playing them back.

Cool thanks for the tips! I think Tower is only for Android and I'm on iOS... meh

I don't know if this is true but I was told by a 3dr rep that all the folks out there that are tinkering with Solo's settings are voiding their warranties. Might want to check on that.

Right, I forgot to mention that. You can pick up a new Tab 4 for around $147

Nice... Yeah, I will probably go ahead and pick up a Tab 4 so I can use Tower and have a larger display. I have an iPhone 6 plus now, which has a decent size screen, but not like having an iPad or Tablet. Any suggestions on how to mount a tablet? The mount that comes stock on the controller will just barely fit my iPhone 6 plus with the case on it...

I don't know if this is true but I was told by a 3dr rep that all the folks out there that are tinkering with Solo's settings are voiding their warranties. Might want to check on that.

Thanks man... I'll have to look into that for sure. Don't want to do anything that will void my warranty...

Somoene in here said that changing the RTH height woudl not void the warranty and they had checked with 3DR.

It's all been discussed and 3DR has come out and said that using Tower will NOT void your warranty, unless you change a parameter that is the direct result of your crash.

Where did 3DR say this? As I've not seen anything this clear. Rob said on RC Groups it was fine BUT then withdrew the statement, Philip has said all along not to change any parameters.

In the next firmware the RTL height is increased anyway but if it is fine to change it beforehand I'd be tempted myself.

Where did 3DR say this? As I've not seen anything this clear. Rob said on RC Groups it was fine BUT then withdrew the statement, Philip has said all along not to change any parameters.

In the next firmware the RTL height is increased anyway but if it is fine to change it beforehand I'd be tempted myself.

That sounds good. The 49' RTL is a little risky. That was one of the first things I did when I got the Solo...bumped it up to 150'

Thanks @Jubalr - the original post was open to interpretation, but it's clear in the comments since that a change to RTL height is fine. :)

Sure thing Ian.
For the new pilots, this breaks it down pretty simple. From 3DR's own Roger Sollenberger:
Solo is officially compatible with Tower/MP, and simply using those programs doesn’t void Solo’s warranty. However, if you adjust flight parameters or experiment with other flight techniques you do so at your own risk: Any resultant crashes it will be considered user error, which isn’t covered by the Solo warranty. We don’t have a list of approved parameter changes — so have fun, but always be mindful of the adjustments you’re making.

One final thing to be careful of is that Tower seems to have a propensity for crashing. According to many posts on this forum. I don't know what happens to the drone when such an event occurs.

One final thing to be careful of is that Tower seems to have a propensity for crashing. According to many posts on this forum. I don't know what happens to the drone when such an event occurs.
I use Tower but have not had it crash yet. But once the Auto is engaged, it is not communicating with Tower anymore anyway as the WPs are in the controller already. On my next mission I will close tower or turn off the tablet to test but I don't think it will have an immediate effect. I generally stop my mission as it is returning anyway by hitting Fly to cancel the mission then Manual to return and land.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44