Do Chinese Communists Control your Airspace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the New York Times does not know anything about what they publish?

"China drone maker says it may share data with the State"

"In a briefing for Chinese and foreign journalists at DJI’s headquarters in Shenzhen on Wednesday, Zhang Fanxi, a spokesman for the company, said it was still working out how to deal with the data it collects in China. But for now, he said, DJI is complying with requests from the Chinese government to hand over data."

I guess you think DJI does not know how things work? You should call them and set them straight.

Reactions: brianuc4
I guess the New York Times does not know anything about what they publish?
The NYT generally provides good quality journalism.
But I think that article isn't saying what you think it is. btw it's 1.5 years old.
I am glad you trust the Chinese government with your private information, such a trusting soul.
Unlike you, I actually know what information it might be possible for DJI to gather from me and what they do and don't have access to ... and it's nothing like what you imagine.

If your private information is important to you, how do you deal with things that actually do collect real personal info like your credit cards, your mobile phone and computer?
(That's a rhetorical question - no reply needed)

Last edited:
Amazing you have reverse engineered all of DJI's code and know exactly what they are acquiring. I am impressed.
I guess this is just a religious argument. You believe and I don't. As in any religious argument facts are not relevant.

I don't drive a car with a satellite connected device that allows the car company to collect data on where I drive or listen to the conversation inside the car. I bet you don't believe that exists either. I don't give facebook all the information about my life and my friends so Zuckerberg can sell it to the highest bidder. I encrypt my internet traffic so my ISP can't sell information about what websites I go to. I don't use a mobile phone so no information can be tracked. I protect my private information to the best of my ability as anyone should.

Reactions: XevetS
I guess this is just a religious argument. You believe and I don't. As in any religious argument facts are not relevant.
That's about right ..... except that in this case you have one party that has high-level experience actually using what is being discussed and another party that only knows he doesn't like it and a few half-baked ideas gleaned from dubious and uninformed sources.

That's about right ..... except that in this case you have one party that has high-level experience actually using what is being discussed and another party that only knows he doesn't like it and a few half-baked ideas gleaned from dubious and uninformed sources.
Completely inaccurate statement, which you have completely made up since you do not know me and have been here for less than one day. Next.

Reactions: DJMc
This thread has completely run off the tracks- maybe it's time for everybody to return to the more productive threads.
Just sayin'....

So like your other erroneous assumptions you assume that nobody here owns, uses and has extensive experience with anything made by DJI?

Definitely time to end this discussion since you clearly don't know about what you speak.

This is why when I fly, I make sure I'm wearing my tin foil hat............. actually it makes me easy to spot on the ground for orbit shots too, so win win....

Reactions: XevetS
Crap.......... they've been reading my thoughts all along...... I knew I should have upgraded to the Anti Mind Reading Shield V2....

True, true, I hate those emails "You increase your size by up to 3"!". I mean, what the heck? If I get any taller, how the heck will I fit in my car?

Oh man, maybe it's because I'm Irish, but when it comes to beer I always swa........ no wait..... I've just realized how that would sound and I wish to step back from this train of conversation now.

I would have bought the Russian bride that my last spam email was selling, but I couldn't find their return policy......

It's not even a matter of DJI vs 3DR. I don't get into that bs. It's China. And the facts of China and their government mandated cyber espionage have not changed since you joined the forum this morning.

To that point:
  • The Pixhawk is manufactured by Hex Aero, which is a reputable manufacturer in Hong Kong, not in mainland China, and not under the mandatory espionage regulations that China imposes on their companies.

• The Pixhawk is hardware that does not do anything on it's own even if it was made in mainland China. It's just sensors, circuits, and storage. It does not contain sensors that could even be used to conduct espionage if someone wanted to.

• ArduPilot is the firmware that runs the Pixhawk. It's what does stuff. It is what would have to be secretly (or not secretly) collecting data and sending it home to China. And it certainly is not doing that. ArduPilot is owned by, managed by, written by, or under the control of China. In fact most of the developers are in Australia, Japan, and the United States. Among many others. None of the development team is even in or from China. And the entire thing is open source, where anyone can look to see that it isn't doing any of this.

• 3DR, for their software and hardware aspects of the Solo, is not a Chinese company and has no obligation to provide data they obtain to China. The only data they collect is logs you send them. And those logs are used internally, not immediately forwarded to the nearest communist regime.
Hardware made in mainland china at the behest of chinese owned companies, is well known to be manufactured with the ability to collect data secretly (or not secretly), even where the product data collection function. The same goes for software. This is the way China works and always has. And it is what they do for everything. This isn't a drone thing or a DJI thing. It's what China does. And DJI is China.

The Pixhawk is manufactured by Hex Aero, which is a reputable manufacturer in Hong Kong, not in mainland China .... This isn't a drone thing or a DJI thing. It's what China does. And DJI is China.
And Hong Kong IS China (since 1997).
But it's pretty clear that there's no point trying to enlighten people like you.
Enjoy the fact-free echo chamber you live in.

Reactions: dirkclod
To that point:
  • The Pixhawk is manufactured by Hex Aero, which is a reputable manufacturer in Hong Kong, not in mainland China, and not under the mandatory espionage regulations that China imposes on their companies.

• The Pixhawk is hardware that does not do anything on it's own even if it was made in mainland China. It's just sensors, circuits, and storage. It does not contain sensors that could even be used to conduct espionage if someone wanted to.

• ArduPilot is the firmware that runs the Pixhawk. It's what does stuff. It is what would have to be secretly (or not secretly) collecting data and sending it home to China. And it certainly is not doing that. ArduPilot is owned by, managed by, written by, or under the control of China. In fact most of the developers are in Australia, Japan, and the United States. Among many others. None of the development team is even in or from China. And the entire thing is open source, where anyone can look to see that it isn't doing any of this.

• 3DR, for their software and hardware aspects of the Solo, is not a Chinese company and has no obligation to provide data they obtain to China. The only data they collect is logs you send them. And those logs are used internally, not immediately forwarded to the nearest communist regime.
Hardware made in mainland china at the behest of chinese owned companies, is well known to be manufactured with the ability to collect data secretly (or not secretly), even where the product data collection function. The same goes for software. This is the way China works and always has. And it is what they do for everything. This isn't a drone thing or a DJI thing. It's what China does. And DJI is China.
I was just goofing around but you do make a lot of points, I have no problem with ordering stuff from Hong Kong or from china for that matter but I do have a problem with products that spy on you and do know what to steer clear from. This includes products sold here in the States. It's a whole different world out there Kind of scary and I've seen some scary stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottk377