Do Chinese Communists Control your Airspace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Website
www.westernrockart.org
I flew 3DR SOLO for a while, but needed some additional features.

After I purchased a Mavic Pro, I started learning about the myriad ways that DJI (?? a commercial arm of a Chinese state-owned enterprise??) collect your data and determine where and how you fly.

-- log all your flights,
-- log control arm movements
-- set limits on altitude - not user selectable
-- set limits on range - not user selectable
-- set limits on NFZ - not user selectable
-- who knows what else?

Quite frankly, i am shocked by the degree of intrusion, and apparent lack of discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ralph E. Johnson
This is why I began updating my Solo. I like my MP but cannot stand the DJI app and lack of control over their forced parameters.

Reactions: Ralph E. Johnson
I flew 3DR SOLO for a while, but needed some additional features.

After I purchased a Mavic Pro, I started learning about the myriad ways that DJI (?? a commercial arm of a Chinese state-owned enterprise??) collect your data and determine where and how you fly.

-- log all your flights,
-- log control arm movements
-- set limits on altitude - not user selectable
-- set limits on range - not user selectable
-- set limits on NFZ - not user selectable
-- who knows what else?

Quite frankly, i am shocked by the degree of intrusion, and apparent lack of discussion.

Nah there's plenty discussion on the matter for sure! It's something that I hated as a principle but realized in practice, it had no real effect on my flying. I don't want to fly close to airports, out of my sight or over 1500 feet high, anyway. The "range" thing you mention, I've been out over 3 miles so I'm not sure what you're taking about there. In over 50 flights, I've never been restricted from flying wherever I've wanted to fly. Besides, DJI has also initiated a "privacy mode" that disconnects you from the internet while you fly.

I'm on the fence with this one. On the one hand, I don't like people telling me what to do- like the 400 foot "rule" or line of sight. I've had several discussions with people on this very forum about my flying over 400 feet. On the other, aren't they just enforcing the regulations that you all love so much anyway?

Data collection...That's another issue. Google knows everything I've ever looked at and every place I've ever been since I've had an Android phone. Below this very thread is an ad for hiking shoes because I was looking at them yesterday. If you have On Star, GM know about everything you do with your car. Alexa knows more about me than any human on the planet. Xfinity knows all my tv habits, internet habits and because I have their security system, when I come and go, when I go to bed and presumably can look at me through the cameras I have set up in my house. My bank knows about everything I purchase and where I've been. I'm not sure that a company in China knowing where I fly my toy drone is worse than all that. Besides, because we use satellites anyone with access to them can see where you fly your drone. If you use Glonass that includes Russia *shiver*. Which includes all commercial and private aircraft, most GPS/nav units, and phones.

In any case, just use a tablet or put your phone in airplane mode and don't use GPS to fly...

Last edited:
Nah there's plenty discussion on the matter for sure! It's something that I hated as a principle but realized in practice, it had no real effect on my flying. I don't want to fly close to airports, out of my sight or over 1500 feet high, anyway. The "range" thing you mention, I've been out over 3 miles so I'm not sure what you're taking about there. In over 50 flights, I've never been restricted from flying wherever I've wanted to fly. Besides, DJI has also initiated a "privacy mode" that disconnects you from the internet while you fly.

I'm on the fence with this one. On the one hand, I don't like people telling me what to do- like the 400 foot "rule" or line of sight. I've had several discussions with people on this very forum about my flying over 400 feet. On the other, aren't they just enforcing the regulations that you all love so much anyway?

Data collection...That's another issue. Google knows everything I've ever looked at and every place I've ever been since I've had an Android phone. Below this very thread is an ad for hiking shoes because I was looking at them yesterday. If you have On Star, GM know about everything you do with your car. Alexa knows more about me than any human on the planet. Xfinity knows all my tv habits, internet habits and because I have their security system, when I come and go, when I go to bed and presumably can look at me through the cameras I have set up in my house. My bank knows about everything I purchase and where I've been. I'm not sure that a company in China knowing where I fly my toy drone is worse than all that. Besides, because we use satellites anyone with access to them can see where you fly your drone. If you use Glonass that includes Russia *shiver*. Which includes all commercial and private aircraft, most GPS/nav units, and phones.

In any case, just use a tablet or put your phone in airplane mode and don't use GPS to fly...

Point well made. I still do not care for the app even though I do use it to fly the thing. I still come back to my Solo :)

Well, what is interesting is that I posted slightly more inflammatory** version of this message on THE MAVIC PRO section of this system.

It took about 60 seconds for the moderator to delete my post. Apparently, free speech is not valued in CHINA ...

** Hacking in defense of personal liberty is no crime, and odious software use agreements are not enforcable in my country. **

Point well made. I still do not care for the app even though I do use it to fly the thing. I still come back to my Solo :)

Oh for sure but I'm sure that you realize that your flights are tracked through GPS on the Solo as well so..

I happen to like the app and the fact that I can pull up a map of everywhere I've flown, including the flight paths, speeds, distances, altitudes, etc. I've personally haven't had any problems with it but there's always Litchi.

Well, what is interesting is that I posted slightly more inflammatory** version of this message on THE MAVIC PRO section of this system.

It took about 60 seconds for the moderator to delete my post. Apparently, free speech is not valued in CHINA ...

** Hacking in defense of personal liberty is no crime, and odious software use agreements are not enforcable in my country. **

Um...I don't think that these forums are moderated from China... I could be wrong but I don't think so. I've had several conversations with moderators on the Mavic forum. They also don't like posts about hacking the Mavic so you can fly higher or by airports. Which is rather easy to do btw. I think it's a management style to be honest. The mods here are much more relaxed.

Heck, now that I think of it, I was involved in any argument about this very subject when it first came up, fighting from your side! I was enraged that some commies were going to tell this AMERICAN where he could and couldn't fly! Rabble, rabble, rabble! Then I broke down and updated the firmware and app...behold, no change. It's never bothered me at all other than a warning about an unpaved airport. It never tried to stop me from flying, just warned me to be careful. Idk I kind of appreciated that actually. Like I said, there's principle and then there's practice.

Last edited:

** Hacking in defense of personal liberty is no crime, and odious software use agreements are not enforceable in my country. **
I am not familiar with the post your referring to but if it was one of our sister sites there are rules against discussing the 'hack' so any mention of the "CoptorSafe" method is removed. There are plenty of sites to learn about that, ours isn't one of them. We are not affiliated with any of the brands the forums represent. We are a private forum company.

Reactions: dirkclod
Oh for sure but I'm sure that you realize that your flights are tracked through GPS on the Solo as well so..

I happen to like the app and the fact that I can pull up a map of everywhere I've flown, including the flight paths, speeds, distances, altitudes, etc. I've personally haven't had any problems with it but there's always Litchi.

When you get right down to it everything we do is tracked in some manner, as you pointed out. I just prefer to be tracked by my own government (still nota good thing). :)

Reactions: roblaw100
I am not familiar with the post your referring to but if it was one of our sister sites there are rules against discussing the 'hack' so any mention of the "CoptorSafe" method is removed. There are plenty of sites to learn about that, ours isn't one of them. We are not affiliated with any of the brands the forums represent. We are a private forum company.

See and that is something that I as an American appreciate. This is a private company that provides us with a forum and allows us to post on here. They can have any rules they want. If I don't like it, I can post elsewhere. Fair enough. Oh and the argument was on the Mavic forum.

When you get right down to it everything we do is tracked in some manner, as you pointed out. I just prefer to be tracked by my own government (still nota good thing). :)

I don't know...you're talking about a company tracking you not a gov't. I know the perception is that everything in China is owned by the gov't but I'm not sure that's exactly the case. I'm still not convinced that they have automatic access to all of our data since when I crashed my Mavic, I had to upload the flight data for them to see it. It was totally my fault. I flew sideways into a bridge while focusing too much on the shot. They let me sign up for DJI Care, pay the deductible and sent me a new drone in a week. $180 total.

At any rate, I appreciate the civil discourse. For me it helps me better focus my position and why I hold it.There's nothing more pathetic than a person that holds on to a belief but has no idea why.

Again, you can fly without an internet connection or GPS if you want. Just saying.

Last edited:
Even if it did the important point is that 3DR does not collect it.

I'm not certain that DJI does either. At least not specifics. I had to upload my flight logs after a crash. They swore they didn't have it. Btw how do you know what 3DR collected? Especially if you use their app. It's smart for companies to track how their products are used so they can market them better. I'm not saying that I like it but I understand it.

Oh and you do know that the Solo was built in China and the Chinese manufacturer bought the entire stock when 3DR went down. Your Solo could be watching you now waiting for the word from the commies to attack! Maybe they purposely built in weak GPS modules and radios to undermine our confidence in "American" products! Those sneaky commie ba$tard$!

Last edited:
I believe they are reviewing that since the new modes have been introduced to fix that problem. There is a 'dark' mode so to speak.

Yep, I believe that the ban is over by now since they introduced private or dark mode. I read that a bunch of countries are back on board. I'm not sure about the us though. I tell you what, I wish that I had a Mavic when I was in Iraq!

The solo was not manufactured by a company controlled by the Chinese government. Nor is 3DR controlled by the Chinese government. If you don't understand the difference between that and DJI, you need to get with the program.

Reactions: RichWest
Dark mode - is that like we will turn the lights off when we collect your data so we can't see it?

Or is it you can turn the lights off while we collect your data so you don't have to watch?

Or is this like Equifax, trust us, the data we collect on you is safe ;)

Last edited:
Given that's China, I would bet on option B: You can turn the lights off while we collect your data so you don't have to watch

Reactions: Maddog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottk377