Did cold weather do this?

Reaction score
Around 40 degrees all day long. Flew and shot for about 3 hours. 1st hour no problem, last 2 hours video screen would freeze up on phone app, couldn't stop video. Landed bird and could not do anything with GoPro. Had to remove GoPro battery, replace, then GoPro would try to repair file. Never repaired it. Some still shots were there, some were not.

Handheld and operated GoPro, no problem. Put back into Solo, same problem. Did manage to get some still shots in. They didn't even show up on GoPro playback, but where there on computer. Changed batteries, cards, etc, and still same problem. Like I said, there was no problem the 1st hour of the day.

Few days later, a little warmer, I tested Solo and GoPro for an hour and no problem with video or still shots. Haven't used it since. Anyone ever had this problem in any kind of weather?

Also, what steps do you take to take to get Solo and camera going? I put GoPro in Solo. Then turn on ground station, Drone next, finally GoPro. I thought the Drone would power up the GoPro but it does not. When I turn drone battery off, the GoPro turns off then.

Thanks for help.

I've flown in weather in the teens up in the snowy mountains with a lot of wind. It worked fine and I flew about 5 batteries. Slightly less in-air time due to batteries not lasting quite as long in the cold, but other than that it was pretty normal. The manual states operating temperatures are: 32° F - 113° F (0° C to 45° C)

It sounds more like your issue could have been the gopro, not necessarily Solo, since that's the thing that was messing up.

I use a H4Black. With v3 of the GoPro firmware it turned on with Solo. v4 doesn't. I'm still on v3 as I have an aftermarket lens and most of the goodies in v4+ I don't need or want.

Edit: the problem could also be the memory card you are using in the Hero not liking the lower temps

typically cold temps will make everything stiffer, you may have a marginal connection that revealed itself with a stiff cable. Otherwise what Steve Said

I have not been in the cold yet this year, gale force winds at 35-40mph have kept me down. Last year in cold temps, after 3rd battery I ran into trouble with my phone going into low power mode and eventually gave me Cold Temp Shutdown warning. Possibly not getting instruction from your phone after it gets cold.

Definitely sounds like a GoPro problem. That GoPro problem could be temperature related or just coincidence.

Done a few short videos since, no problems so far. Thanks for all feedback.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela