Device Compatibility for Solo

Reaction score
Device Compatibility
iOS
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.

Android...
Requires Android 4.3 and up. Compatible with Samsung S3, S4 (mini), S5, S6, S6 Edge, Samsung Galaxy Tab S, Tab A, Tab Pro, Tab 4, Samsung Note 3, 4, LG G3, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 5, 6, 9, HTC One M7, M8, M9, OnePlus One, Sony Xperia Z3, Moto G, E, X

Reactions: Lightfactory
please update this list as new (and older) compatible products are added.

Btw, if your Android device is not compatible, you can join the beta program and download it and try it on your noncompatible device.....sorry Apple users, Apple does not let you try beta versions.

Last edited:
You can add NVidia Shield Tablet LTE version to the list.
Be careful using Android 4.3 as a guideline. My first buy was an Acer 8" tablet running Android 4.4 KitKat. It could not even pull up the Solo app on the Playstore. After much investigation, I was told some tablets cannot handle the video downlink from Solo, even if they are running 4.3 or above Android. I spent the extra money and got a Galaxy Tab 4 8". It works great. Hopefully this helps anyone looking for a tablet for Solo.

Be careful using Android 4.3 as a guideline. My first buy was an Acer 8" tablet running Android 4.4 KitKat. It could not even pull up the Solo app on the Playstore. After much investigation, I was told some tablets cannot handle the video downlink from Solo, even if they are running 4.3 or above Android. I spent the extra money and got a Galaxy Tab 4 8". It works great. Hopefully this helps anyone looking for a tablet for Solo.
Don't you have to have a internet link with this tablet?

I bought the Acer Iconia 8 and it doesn't work. I'm a little disappointed cause it was a Cheap alternative. Now I'm on the hunt for something to use. It will only be used for flying my solo.

Ryan G

I bought the Acer Iconia 8 and it doesn't work. I'm a little disappointed cause it was a Cheap alternative. Now I'm on the hunt for something to use. It will only be used for flying my solo.

Ryan G
That is the exact one I bought. I was bummed too when it didn't work out. I ended up getting a Galaxy Tab 4 8". It cost more, but it works great so far.

you cant go wrong with nexus 7 (2013) that is the tablet 3dr is using

Chuck,

It's not very bright in direct sun AT ALL. I can't even see the thing on my screen. Def need a sun shade for it...

I am thinking of bringing this back and getting the Tab S 8.4 (MUCH brighter and little bigger), also a bit more expensive, so now this is getting more and more expensive.

The Nexus has the brightest screen (other than the Nokia 10") but right behind it is the 8.4 Tab S. I like the extra screen real estate but not sure it's worth the extra $125.

Ryan G

Chuck,

It's not very bright in direct sun AT ALL. I can't even see the thing on my screen. Def need a sun shade for it...

I am thinking of bringing this back and getting the Tab S 8.4 (MUCH brighter and little bigger), also a bit more expensive, so now this is getting more and more expensive.

The Nexus has the brightest screen (other than the Nokia 10") but right behind it is the 8.4 Tab S. I like the extra screen real estate but not sure it's worth the extra $125.

Ryan G
Buy it you will like it.

Rich,

How is your brightness wise? I thought I read that using the AUTO Brightness outdoors would actually make the screen brightness, but after testing it on my Note 4, it didn't work. So I was wondering if yours actually got brighter using Auto Brightness in direct sun.

Would love to know if this indeed works and makes the screen brighter.

Thanks
Ryan G

Rich,

How is your brightness wise? I thought I read that using the AUTO Brightness outdoors would actually make the screen brightness, but after testing it on my Note 4, it didn't work. So I was wondering if yours actually got brighter using Auto Brightness in direct sun.

Would love to know if this indeed works and makes the screen brighter.

Thanks
Ryan G
Strange, I have an Iconia Tab 8 (A1-850) and it works fine for me. They all seem to need a sun screen if you are in bright overhead sun. I also have an iPhone 6+ and it is a little better but not a lot.

Well I will tell you all. I have the NOTE 4 and if you put it in auto brightness in direct sun it goes SUPER bright (brighter than max brightness WITHOUT auto on.

It's actually 750 nits at that brightness. I mean it's a little washed out, but I can see perfect in direct overhead sun with NO sunshade at all. It's smaller than I like of course, but it will suffice until I find the one that works best. I might be looking at the Tab 8.4, but I am sure that might need a sunshade (which I am also looking at).

Ryan G

I'm using nexus 7 tablet, but noticed I don't have a map view because this my nexus 7 doesn't have cellular
Yea they are all going to be what way. You have to download the map data on any WiFi unit.

I Have 2 tablets that are LTE; LG G pad and Nexus 7. You still have to pre-cache the maps the same as with WiFi. At least on my 2 tablets, I have not found a way to keep the data coming from both Solo and Cellular at the same time. They assume that if you are on a WiFi network you don't need the cellular, which 99% of the time would be correct.

I guess for convenience if you are in the field and you had no cached maps, the cellular would do it for you.

I guess for convenience if you are in the field and you had no cached maps, the cellular would do it for you.
Yeah, that's what I have been doing and it is convenient, just didn't know if there was a way to have both on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo