iPad Mini 4 - GPS function

As a side note I've flown Solo with several different Android devices with GPS enabled. I decided to get a Nexus 7 for the bright screen and I heard 3DR tests with one due to it's pure Android foundation. While follow me worked with the other devices it worked better with the Nexus. It took less time "waiting for device GPS" and follow me flight was smoother. I can't qualify why it works better, it just does for me.
Interesting

This is somewhat related to the topic... I just got a LG Tab 7.0 for free from Sprint, thinking since it is Android that Solo would work. Downloaded all current apps. Wifi does NOT stay connected more than a minute or two. I informed 3dr support who replied that it is not a supported tablet. So, dont make the same assumption I made, do not get this tablet. Returning it today.

This is somewhat related to the topic... I just got a LG Tab 7.0 for free from Sprint, thinking since it is Android that Solo would work. Downloaded all current apps. Wifi does NOT stay connected more than a minute or two. I informed 3dr support who replied that it is not a supported tablet. So, dont make the same assumption I made, do not get this tablet. Returning it today.
Han, there is a setting in Android to maintain connection on a network without internet. It usually defaults to off. It's called different things in different OS skins, but may also be called 'always scan for available networks.' This should be an easy fix for you..

I tried that with no success. But will try again before boxing it back up.

I tried that with no success. But will try again before boxing it back up.
I used an LG Gpad 8 for a short time and it worked well. But the Lexus 7 had a brighter screen so I went with it.

I use a mini IPad 4 wifi only with the bad elf GPS ,i cache my maps through the solo app and it works perfectly even for follow me...only down side is i can't fly my solo as the weather at the moment in the uk is crap.......

So I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 - it fits the controller with ease, it has a great crystal clear high res screen, and it the GPS works perfectly and easily. Now to start flying... once the temp goes above near-freezing....
I added a "Supcase Unicorn Bettle Pro" case to it, and am going to cut ridges in the sides of the case so that the fingers of the holder on the controller dig into it and clamp down it tighter. This is to help prevent it from sliding out of the controller.

Han, there is a setting in Android to maintain connection on a network without internet. It usually defaults to off. It's called different things in different OS skins, but may also be called 'always scan for available networks.' This should be an easy fix for you..
I too, have the same tablet, found the same issue with loss of connection and turned off the scan feature. Same result with loss of connection every minute or so. The bigger screen is nice but I ended up going back to my Samsung 5. Got the tablet for free from Sprint so it was not a total loss.

The Wifi only iPads do NOT have GPS. Originally the wifi only iPads did have GPS, but they don't include the module any more. There was indeed a thread on this month and months ago. Or maybe it was on another forum.
Just so I'm clear, all you need is an Android tablet that has that GPS chip to be able to use Tower, even with out a cellular connection? A few years ago I drove to a store about 60 mile from home. My "original" iPad was wi-fi and cellular but I never activated the cellular. I saved the map and directions to find the store. To my amazement, when I checked the directions, my current location was shown on the map and the little icon moved along the road as I did, just like a regular GPS. I thought I was dreaming. Now I know why. So, conceivably, if my old iPad could load the software (it can't) I could use the map function?
I use an iPad mini and desperately want a Tower function. I'm hoping that in the near future they'll come up with one for it.

Just so I'm clear, all you need is an Android tablet that has that GPS chip to be able to use Tower, even with out a cellular connection?
I'm not sure because my Android tablet and phone both do have cellular - so I've never experimented with the setup you describe.

What I *think* is that you will be OK with a tablet that has a cellular chipset, even if you don't actually activate the cellular service. It will still be able to ping towers to assist your GPS, even though your not a paying cellular data subscriber. On the iPads, the GPS chips are a embedded into the cellular chipsets they use. That's why you don't get GPS if you don't have a cellular capable iPad. But I'm not sure what the options are on the Android side. There are so many devices.

Having said all that, I think it's worth it to activate cellular data on your Android device so that Tower can download maps in the field. Otherwise you have to plan ahead and cache your maps - which isn't as simple as it should be in Tower.

Sorry I couldn't give you a better, more definitive answer. Hopefully someone with more experience on the Android side will chime in here.

Can anyone tell if I can use a Galaxy Tab A TABLET? The solo app will run and I get voice feed back from controller the problem is I can see my go pro in the app. I was able to connect my go pro with the go pro app but still can't see it in the solo app

Yes, the Garmin GLO connects via Bluetooth, and it works well,
My iPad Mini 2 is wifi only version, and the Garmin GLO gives the device excellent GPS. It works with all apps that requires GPS.
I also have a iPhone 7 and the Garmin gives better GPS.

The Garmin GLO will connect to four devices at the same time.

I'm using the 8" Tab A very successfully. Only issue is Samsung won't let you tether via Bluetooth while on WiFi with Solo, so you need to prefetch maps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig