Dedicated 3rd Party Lens Discussion (Examples Updated)

New lens looks great Steve. Do anything special regarding the pink corners?
Hello My friend,

Nothing directly done for pink corners.
4K MP4 dropped directly in to Premiere, Graded, Arranged a few cuts & added a Mp3.
Shot near beginning, was zoomed in to 300%, then panned out to 100% looked fine to me.

I'll look at the original before grading to find any pink, but i really don't think it's a issue with this lens?
I marked the lens @ infinity, 12' ft. & macro.

Thanks for helping me to get it.
I recommend this lens for anyone with a GP H4.

I've ordered it last week from here (also in China) :
F2.8 4.35mm 16M HFOV 72° 13G lens for Git2/GoPro - GitUp Action Camera

I think it's the same lens. Will let you know how it goes if I receive it in time before my trip.
Maybe too narrow for me, but specs are impressive.

Your 3.8 is from Git? Also apparently Peau is working on remote color profile app of sorts so people dont have to send camera in according to peau owner comment on FB 3dr owners page.

3.80mm from here
1/2.3" 3.8mm 16Megapixel S Mount Low-Distortion Board Lens for Drone Gopro 4

hi
What do you think on field of view 4.35 vs 3.8 ? Is 4.35 wide 'enough'?

I prefer 3.80, for me 4.35 is too narrow, but that's my preference, nonetheless I ordered the 4.35mm as well.

Reactions: jibcamera
I'll look at the original before grading to find any pink, but i really don't think it's a issue with this lens?

I struggled to find any footage with pink corners as well when I had this lens in standard GP3+B, since then I put this lens to GP4 from Peau with profile removed, maybe I should be getting green corners in this combo :)

I struggled to find any footage with pink corners as well when I had this lens in standard GP3+B, since then I put this lens to GP4 from Peau with profile removed, maybe I should be getting green corners in this combo :)
I'm still seeing a little pink, but not as bad I believe. Here is a short clip I shot for a MPCC demo this weekend. In the horizon shots, pink in the top corners? No Post, straight from the GP4BK.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@Jubalr @pete
I'm about to focus my 3.8mm lens but there is plenty of play in the thread. So if i push on the lens, it goes quite out of focus.
How did you secure it in? With teflon tape? My other lenses are a much tighter fit so it was never an issue.

Reactions: franknitty69
@Jubalr @pete
I'm about to focus my 3.8mm lens but there is plenty of play in the thread. So if i push on the lens, it goes quite out of focus.
How did you secure it in? With teflon tape? My other lenses are a much tighter fit so it was never an issue.
Yes, that is what I used. For me 1 wrap with Teflon tape allowed it to be secure enough to not turn on it's own, but easy enough to turn if needed.

Reactions: Thierry
@Jubalr @pete

my 3.80 felt reasonably tight without the tape, but I still wrapped it as @Jubalr explained above.

I needed 2 turns of the Teflon tape.
To adjust from infinity to macro, i just remove outer lens cover, then adjust to desired settings mark on lens housing.
Best way to focus for infinity:
I placed 18x24 sign "7" letters" @ 110 ft. camera on tripod.
took several 12 mp shots, while adjusting lens with corresponding markings on lens socket.
Brought photos in to Photoshop, zoomed in to sign, the clearest photo of text was the setting i chose for lens.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Thanks a lot @Jubalr @pete @SteveReno !
Steve, is there a reason you chose 72ft specifically as your focusing distance? I'll use the same technique to focus it accurately, as watching it on a TV isn't precise enough.
I'm thinking or having 2 targets, one at "infinity" (72ft should be equivalent), and one close one, around 16ft if I'm filming a subject close to camera. Then I'll mark both positions with whiteout so I can adjust it in the field.

I used 1 3/4 turns of plumber/teflon tape and made a small cut on the lense frame with a snap-off blade knife which let me adjust focus with the same knife without taking anything away.

The standard lens weights 5,56 grams and the 3,8mm is 7,77 grams. If anyone is interested :D

Edit. Last sentence and new picture.

Attachments

• gp1.png
    gp1.png
    1,002.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I used 1 3/4 turns of plumber/teflon tape and made a small cut on the lense frame with a snap-off blade knife which let me adjust focus with the same knife without taking anything away.

The standard lens weights 5,56 grams and the 3,8mm is 7,77 grams. If anyone is interested :D

Edit. Last sentence and new picture.

Wicked, thanks a lot @perkele !

Thanks a lot @Jubalr @pete @SteveReno !
Steve, is there a reason you chose 72ft specifically as your focusing distance? I'll use the same technique to focus it accurately, as watching it on a TV isn't precise enough.
I'm thinking or having 2 targets, one at "infinity" (72ft should be equivalent), and one close one, around 16ft if I'm filming a subject close to camera. Then I'll mark both positions with whiteout so I can adjust it in the field.
Hello @Thierry
@pete asked the question a couple of pages back, about focal points calculations for this particular lens,
Several people helped with the math to derive to about 110 ft.
I'm on mobile right now, but go back a few pages & find us talking about focal adjustments.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hello @Thierry
@pete asked the question a couple of pages back, about focal points calculations for this particular lens,
Several people helped with the math to derive to about 72 ft.
I'm on mobile right now, but go back a few pages & find us talking about focal adjustments.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Found the info for tunning lens:

Glad i checked, Looks like i may have used wrong calculations !
I's 110 ft. Guess i got to go re-focus, but it looks good in some of my video's?

Anyway, "Read & Learn" i always say.

So anybody been able to see a difference between the blue or red IR cut yet. I'm about to order the 3.8 and Alie has the blue 3.8 16mp for 58 bucks total and gitup has the red, but with shipping it'd be 80. I'm leaning toward the Alie, anybody notice any real difference between em so far?

Also some mentioned above are s mount and others m12 are these both fine or is one the longer mount I saw frank mention needing extra modding in the GoPro itself?

Found the info for tunning lens:

Glad i checked, Looks like i may have used wrong calculations !
I's 110 ft. Guess i got to go re-focus, but it looks good in some of my video's?

Anyway, "Read & Learn" i always say.

I don't think it would make much of a difference, if any.
I focused mine at 35m (110ft) and it's perfectly sharp at 20m or even at shorter distance than this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anomaly.Filmworks