DBSMODs antenna testing... 2.5miles so far!

2.5miles a few minutes ago... we got this!!
11425547_10207026410408466_6395754976540604875_o.jpg

DBS,,,Absolutely Outstanding! Awesome!! Congratulations on a job well done,,,but somehow I don't think you are done yet :)

Awesome Chuck. So not knowing what panel you are running I am curious how it compares to the lightbridge setup on P3. Is it 75% of p3 range with equal panels or even that high?

And how did it do on battery? And are you rocking the 55 mph doing it?

All I've seen so far on this thing is 33MPH... maybe a setting somewhere? But I have the rates dialed up to the highest setting...

Battery was at 36 percent on return but I did a lot of screwing around out there... I actually flew back towards home for a quarter mile and remembered I didn't take a screenshot... so I flew back out to 2.5 and got the shot.

Compared to lightbridge... this thing is getting weak at 2.5miles... I bet I can get 3 out of it at he right altitude... and 4 with wifi boost on the controller.
The P3 goes 4 with just antennas and still has full bars on the signal.
Not sure how to put a percentage on that but... this Solo has range!

Best thing I can say about this weekend so far?

Solo has the best damn video stream for FPV of anything I've flown for the past few years... 720p at a perfect frame rate for the entire battery... smooth as butter... from zero feet to 13,000 feet... not one hitch or glitch or freeze or dropped frame rate. I think that says more bout the app than anything. Video rendering in the DJI Pilot app can get sketchy at times and you can monitor how it's stressing the processor to keep up... but the 3DR Solo app runs smooth as silk using a little over half the processing power.

Chuck that is all I really needed as far as comparison. If I can fly 2 miles ideal conditions that would be great. I have made it 10,000 with the FPVLR antennas on the V+ but I don't want that hanging on the front of my Solo controller. Nothing against FPVLR as they are good performers but they really don't mount and travel well. I would prefer the Itelite panel setup. So if they come up with a nice clean mounting system worthy of the Solo controller I am in. The performance is exactly what I need.

Speaking of mount. Your pics above. Is that something you setup for test or did they send it that way?

D B S .
when and where did u get your solo from?
thx Don

Got it on Thursday... direct from 3DR for work on the range extender antenna.

Got it on Thursday... direct from 3DR for work on the range extender antenna.
Did you pre order this and pay for it yourself or was it a freebee fron 3dr?

All I've seen so far on this thing is 33MPH... maybe a setting somewhere? But I have the rates dialed up to the highest setting...

Battery was at 36 percent on return but I did a lot of screwing around out there... I actually flew back towards home for a quarter mile and remembered I didn't take a screenshot... so I flew back out to 2.5 and got the shot.

Compared to lightbridge... this thing is getting weak at 2.5miles... I bet I can get 3 out of it at he right altitude... and 4 with wifi boost on the controller.
The P3 goes 4 with just antennas and still has full bars on the signal.
Not sure how to put a percentage on that but... this Solo has range!

Best thing I can say about this weekend so far?

Solo has the best damn video stream for FPV of anything I've flown for the past few years... 720p at a perfect frame rate for the entire battery... smooth as butter... from zero feet to 13,000 feet... not one hitch or glitch or freeze or dropped frame rate. I think that says more bout the app than anything. Video rendering in the DJI Pilot app can get sketchy at times and you can monitor how it's stressing the processor to keep up... but the 3DR Solo app runs smooth as silk using a little over half the processing power.

When you use a booster do you have one tied to each antenna or do you get by boosting a single antenna?

I may be in the minority thinking the panel looks great but I'd prefer a clean flat look (without the imprint).

I am not sure but I am thinking Chuck might have been talking about someone doing a WIFI booster "app" and not actual antenna boosters. I don't think he normally flies with amps but has been knowing to use booster apps.

Oh fudge nuggets... :mad:

One of the things I was looking forward to is gone.

I have to be honest this is going to piss me off if the final speed is 33mph.

I have to be honest this is going to piss me off if the final speed is 33mph.
Hopefully, if it is like the rest of their products, it will be user defined in advanced settings. But doing so may be at the expense of the warranty..

Hopefully, if it is like the rest of their products, it will be user defined in advanced settings. But doing so may be at the expense of the warranty..

I have a feeling that will be the case. I think the out of the box experience has been mellowed as a CYA maneuver by 3DR. Hopefully someone can find out for us that are waiting on delivery.

OK, now Im confused. I just clipped this from 3DR On-line support, Owners Manual

Cruise speed:
5.7 mph (2.5 m/s)
Maximum speed:
55 mph (25.5 m/s)
Maximum climb rate:
11 mph (5.0 m/s)
Maximum descent rate:
5.5 mph (2.5 m/s)
Headwind limitation:
25 mph (11 m/s)
Crosswind limitation:
25 mph (11 m/s)

Also, under Advanced Settings there is a slider for "speed" that can only be activated by the controller.

After 100's maybe 1000's of hours testing, tweaking, etc. and such attention to detail to "get it right" I find it hard to believe that in the Owners Manual such a glaring disparity of 55mph vs. an actual 33mph could conceivably happen. I guess it could but sure would be a huge variation in execution to deliver to the marketplace. Jus' sayin'

OK, now Im confused. I just clipped this from 3DR On-line support, Owners Manual

Cruise speed:
5.7 mph (2.5 m/s)
Maximum speed:
55 mph (25.5 m/s)
Maximum climb rate:
11 mph (5.0 m/s)
Maximum descent rate:
5.5 mph (2.5 m/s)
Headwind limitation:
25 mph (11 m/s)
Crosswind limitation:
25 mph (11 m/s)

Also, under Advanced Settings there is a slider for "speed" that can only be activated by the controller.
If I understand correctly, the 'Speed' setting refers to reaction time, i.e. like a novice/expert type setting. The more towards faster you move it, the faster it reacts and not as smooth.

After 100's maybe 1000's of hours testing, tweaking, etc. and such attention to detail to "get it right" I find it hard to believe that in the Owners Manual such a glaring disparity of 55mph vs. an actual 33mph could conceivably happen. I guess it could but sure would be a huge variation in execution to deliver to the marketplace. Jus' sayin'

David, page 9 shows 33 mph. If you go back to the specs in the very end of document it says 55mph.

DBS went into his advanced settings and cranked it the performance to max and it only flew 33mph.

The "leaked document" that was out a couple weeks ago said 55mph in both places. So they have changed 55 down to 33 on page 9 and probably forgot to do so in the specs at end.

So not sure what the deal is. I am hoping I get a quad that flies 55. We need to get Sammy Hagar to make us a song :)

If I understand correctly, the 'Speed' setting refers to reaction time, i.e. like a novice/expert type setting. The more towards faster you move it, the faster it reacts and not as smooth.

Yea I thought so too but cant find anywhere else to change max speed. Once they changed the manual to 33mph something was suspect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc