DBS OR TONY FPVLR?

Reaction score
I've been using the DBS antenna which works very well. I'm wondering if anybody has compared the DBS against Tony's FPVLR antenna. I believe RIch said they are similar.tony's definitely looks a lot better. Any thoughts?

I just used my FPVLR today for the first time. I like the fit better, not as bulky. I went out to around 3200 and could have gone further. I have gone out to 4000 with the DBSMod.
My problem is trees I believe. I need to get up to around 400' and see how far out I can get with both.

I would say the range on both is going to be similar.

Have you lost WiFi connection mid flight with your fpvlr? I did today at 150 ft and 50 meters from home and it reconnected a few seconds later but it was already on its way back so I let it land. On the way up it said disconnected from WiFi but I did not lose control. I did not have those issues with the stock antennas.

I have an FPVLR coming in the mail tomorrow. I find when out a few thousand feet or more antenna movement on the solo(since they're in the legs) can really play tricks with the signal.

I'm hoping the FPVLR can help remedy that. If anything it should be better than the other antennas I'm using.

That could be it. It was windy and it did do a big correction while hovering right before I lost wifi

That could be it. It was windy and it it did do a big correction while hovering right before I lost wifi
I haven't used the DBMOD but I hear it is good. I have the FPVLR and have compared it side by side to the stock antennas at the same time in the same place on two different Solos that otherwise act very similar.

The FPVLR roughly doubles my range at 300 ft altitude from 1500 ft to 3000 ft. What was surprising is that it isn't nearly as directional as I thought it might be from the design and properties. I turn my back on the Solo at 1000 feet and it is fine. If I do that with stock it most often loses connection. I am very happy with mine and will order another for Solo #2

I just watched the video and it was a huge gust of wind kicking it around up there. Thanks for the feedback. I am sure it's fine. The only thing I don't like is since the connectors are slightly canted on the controller it can be hard to get on there. I found if you attach it in the middle first that helps.

I just watched the video and it was a huge gust of wind kicking it around up there. Thanks for the feedback. I am sure it's fine. The only thing I don't like is since the connectors are slightly canted on the controller it can be hard to get on there. I found if you attach it in the middle first that helps.

I agree with sometimes it being a bit of a pain to get on especially since with the backpack you have to remove it but I've used the fpvlr for months without a single Rth. I think your issue was most likley with our new update or something else wrong, yesterday in an open area I was out quite a ways and still in the thirties rssi wise. I was pretty shocked that any antenna did that, it was the best I've seen so far, usually it's higher than thirties right at takeoff on any antennas but I normally am in a wooded, high rf area.

I've not tried the DBS but it seems they provide nearly the same results range wise basically it's just which you want on your controller. When I bought mine it was the only option out but there's a ton more positive feed back on fpvlr just cause there's a bunch more of them out there so I'd probably choose the same way if I still didn't have one. If I could mod the backpack to fit either connected without making it weak I'd go that route though.

I haven't used the DBMOD but I hear it is good. I have the FPVLR and have compared it side by side to the stock antennas at the same time in the same place on two different Solos that otherwise act very similar.

The FPVLR roughly doubles my range at 300 ft altitude from 1500 ft to 3000 ft. What was surprising is that it isn't nearly as directional as I thought it might be from the design and properties. I turn my back on the Solo at 1000 feet and it is fine. If I do that with stock it most often loses connection. I am very happy with mine and will order another for Solo #2

I'm impressed how their not really directional as well and how much more precise the controls become after the upgrade. Not to mention the video stability and range, the fpvlr have made solo what it was meant to be in my eyes.

Reactions: erikgraham
I have the DBS and Ive been close to a mile, could have gone further but no need to. I have mine attached to the controller with 2 strips of Velcro, easily taken off and put back on. Works great and I know a lot of others have done the same thing. What I like most BOUT dbs IS THAT THERE IS SOME "FORGIVENESS: IN AIMING, I DON'T HAVE to have a rifle type aim, more of a shotgun aim. Works great. I'm sure they are both excellent choices.

DBSMods for sure! It is a 3-4 times improvement over the stock. Way farther than responsible pilots should fly.
This is a professionally made Antenna. DBSMods has them made by a company(itelite) that makes very high end Antenna's for every major Wireless AP/Router on the market.
Here is how I mounted mine...
I cut two slots in the back of the controllers device holder mount. Then used two 4-40 lock star lock nuts to secure it. I put a tiny drop of superglue on the top of the screw to keep the lock nuts from coming alI the way off.
I do have to remove it to pack everything in the backpack but, that only takes a couple of minutes while Solo gets GPS lock. I use a small open end wrench to tighten the nuts.DSCN0974.JPG
DSCN0971.JPG

Good talk here but would like to know,
Exact time on both to attach and detach,
Weight of each unit and comfort level for extended flight times
Prices, customer service and warranty.
Thanks.

I'm impressed how their not really directional as well and how much more precise the controls become after the upgrade. Not to mention the video stability and range, the fpvlr have made solo what it was meant to be in my eyes.
This is what I've been waiting to hear. I don't need range, I need something that will punch through foliage a little better than stock, which I'm sure these will, BUT, I've been worried that if I happen to turn away or move the controller for some reason, that these would lose connection because they are directional.

This is what I've been waiting to hear. I don't need range, I need something that will punch through foliage a little better than stock, which I'm sure these will, BUT, I've been worried that if I happen to turn away or move the controller for some reason, that these would lose connection because they are directional.
Check out both my reviews on my youtube and you will see what the FPVLR did for me. I couldnt get past 600 feet before.

I know many people are mod-ing the antenna for range but I how does this mod hold up against wifi crowding or natural interference? Not to burst anyones bubble but to climb to +250' and fly out to 3,4,5k feet is great however - what happens when you want to orbit an object and you loose connection when your bird just happens to fly around the backside of your object?

I'm considering the wifi card upgrade as it seems to be the best method of reliability for me but I'm not doing anything until the gimbal arrives and I get to put it through its paces.

Good talk here but would like to know,
Exact time on both to attach and detach,
Weight of each unit and comfort level for extended flight times
Prices, customer service and warranty.
Thanks.
FPVLR has been spectacular to me with pre purchase and after. I only had one concern and that was taking it on and off so that it would fit in my GoProfessional Case.

I know many people are mod-ing the antenna for range but I how does this mod hold up against wifi crowding or natural interference? Not to burst anyones bubble but to climb to +250' and fly out to 3,4,5k feet is great however - what happens when you want to orbit an object and you loose connection when your bird just happens to fly around the backside of your object?

I'm considering the wifi card upgrade as it seems to be the best method of reliability for me but I'm not doing anything until the gimbal arrives and I get to put it through its paces.
I think if I am going out at long distance for some video, I would use Tower and set the parameters to continue the mission if radio contact was lost.

I think if I am going out at long distance for some video, I would use Tower and set the parameters to continue the mission if radio contact was lost.
Exactly. Plan a mission and disable the fail safe. That is what I do on all 3DR platforms (Iris, x8, etc). Obviously you need to build some cushion into your mission plan so it doesn't run out of battery. Equally obvious, but worth mentioning, is that you want to make sure you are within range at the end of the mission (so you can land it it manually or be there to assist in an auto landing). So either you plan the mission to loop back, or you jump in your car and drive to the end location.

This is totally understandable, my issue is with close proximity video shooting and tree canopy, buildings and stuff like that.

This is totally understandable, my issue is with close proximity video shooting and tree canopy, buildings and stuff like that.
I can get out to 3 or 4 thousand feet with the DBSMod and FPVLR setup from where I fly.

The problem is a tree line which is about 1000 feet from me.
Once I get past it my signal starts dropping.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks