Dabbling in aerial Real Estate video with Solo

Reaction score
As a favor for a friend who is a realtor, my dad and I have been putting together 2 minute videos for houses that are for sale. It's definitely good practice. Any input is welcome!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: brunoferreiro

I would try to get rid of the fisheye effect you can do this either by getting a peau productions go pro lens or in post in after effects for example there is a way to change the field of view. I would also show more CU and MCU shots as well but other than that amazing stuff man keep up the good work

And maybe edit without music or something more upbeat. Sounds like you borrowed a music clip from Manson.

Reactions: Maddog
And maybe edit without music or something more upbeat. Sounds like you borrowed a music clip from Manson.
The music can be fine. As a home buyer, I would really like to sit home and check out drone videos of a property prior to traveling all over for first hand views. Done right, the video could also let me see the property around the area as well as the condition of the roof. I am a home inspector and I use my Iris+ for roof inspection. I showed one video to a realtor who didn't realize how close the school really was to a home he had listed. The new buyer thought it was great. So, it is a win win deal.

The music can be fine. As a home buyer, I would really like to sit home and check out drone videos of a property prior to traveling all over for first hand views. Done right, the video could also let me see the property around the area as well as the condition of the roof. I am a home inspector and I use my Iris+ for roof inspection. I showed one video to a realtor who didn't realize how close the school really was to a home he had listed. The new buyer thought it was great. So, it is a win win deal.
It's a really good idea and great when doing virtual tours. Can do without the circus scary clown music is all

Bren, those are very good! How long do you spend on location to get what you need?

Are those locations outside of Albuquerque?

Last edited:
With real estate/architecture, no one wants to see curved lines unless they're supposed to be curved. I would highly suggest replacing the lens with a rectilinear one.

Bren, those are very good! How long do you spend on location to get what you need?

Are those locations outside of Albuquerque?
Thanks! Yes, all those houses are in the east mountains of albuquerque.

Usually spend between an hour or two and usually go through all four of my batteries.

These are exactly the kind of thing I am wanting to do here in Houston. However, some of your shots are not safely performed here since we have very tall trees courtesy of generous annual rainfall. My early experiments circling, shooting and aerial scanning from 120-160 feet with my Canon as well as gimbal mounted Gopro show a lot about a house and neighborhood....a big picture so to speak.

Thanks! Yes, all those houses are in the east mountains of albuquerque.

Usually spend between an hour or two and usually go through all four of my batteries.
I thought so- I'm originally from Abq.

I'm looking to get into this with my Solo...Do you mind if I ask a round-about-figure you recommend charging a customer? I know it's a bit risque to speak about in an open forum, I'm just looking for a starting point

I'm looking to get into this with my Solo...Do you mind if I ask a round-about-figure you recommend charging a customer? I know it's a bit risque to speak about in an open forum, I'm just looking for a starting point
I was wondering the same thing so I checked out the websites of businesses that do that here in Phoenix.

Looks like around $300 for edited 1-2 minutes is the average around here.

Bren .. Do you have The coveted Sect 333 exemption yet? I'm all set with my proposal ready to go to FAA but I cannot find an rc experienced licensed pilot to perform PIC duties as I defined them in my petition/proposal. There is a demand for structure scanning here in Houston, but manned aircraft pilots I think see these quadcopters as a threat to their livelihood.
At any rate...I do inspections on my own properties using both my Iris+ and the Solo to a lesser extent... Solo not as responsive as the Iris and that is important when just a few feet from a roof or tree in windy conditions. I'm working on mounting my Canon gimbal on the Solo so we'll see what comes as I R&D while searching for a PIC.

So, here is another question. Part 107 should be out by summer 2016, and for that you would not need licensed pilot, and the backlog is running abuot 4 months from what I hear. So is it worth going 333 at this point, or wait for part 107??

Bren .. Do you have The coveted Sect 333 exemption yet? I'm all set with my proposal ready to go to FAA but I cannot find an rc experienced licensed pilot to perform PIC duties as I defined them in my petition/proposal. There is a demand for structure scanning here in Houston, but manned aircraft pilots I think see these quadcopters as a threat to their livelihood.
At any rate...I do inspections on my own properties using both my Iris+ and the Solo to a lesser extent... Solo not as responsive as the Iris and that is important when just a few feet from a roof or tree in windy conditions. I'm working on mounting my Canon gimbal on the Solo so we'll see what comes as I R&D while searching for a PIC.
Submit your paperwork now- by the time it comes back, the licensed pilot requirement may be dropped. If not, you're ready to go if you find a pilot.

So, here is another question. Part 107 should be out by summer 2016, and for that you would not need licensed pilot, and the backlog is running abuot 4 months from what I hear. So is it worth going 333 at this point, or wait for part 107??
I would get started on the 333- part 107 might not come out on time if at all.:confused:

I would get started on the 333- part 107 might not come out on time if at all.:confused:
I'll do that and then in the PIC description section, state that I'll request waiver of the comml pilot requirement in leau if passing ground school etc for other requirements under part 61. I have no trust that Part 107 will ever happen...and I need to eat.
Thanks guys.
Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M