Dabbling in aerial Real Estate video with Solo

I would get started on the 333- part 107 might not come out on time if at all.:confused:
All done with my 27 page petition plus one appendix. I have a colleague with a license and he's a super rc pilot...its his thing now, but he's in another city so it wouldn't be a convincing proposal to FAA.

Reactions: Maddog
So, here is another question. Part 107 should be out by summer 2016, and for that you would not need licensed pilot, and the backlog is running abuot 4 months from what I hear. So is it worth going 333 at this point, or wait for part 107??
I'll research Part 107....but I doubt the FAA will move on it much..there seems to be a LOT of flight training schools thinking and hoping and lobbying for us guys with a gleam in our eye to spend $5k on a license before we pursue commercial ops with our 3DR drones.

All done with my 27 page petition plus one appendix. I have a colleague with a license and he's a super rc pilot...its his thing now, but he's in another city so it wouldn't be a convincing proposal to FAA.
Most people have just been boiler-plating an approved petition on the FAA website. Seems to work well- no need to reinvent I the wheel.:D

I'll research Part 107....but I doubt the FAA will move on it much..there seems to be a LOT of flight training schools thinking and hoping and lobbying for us guys with a gleam in our eye to spend $5k on a license before we pursue commercial ops with our 3DR drones.
I thought I read last year that there would also be a 'test out' option for those acquainted with airspace rules and regulations?

I have a pending Section 333 exemption petition. Regulations.gov
Currently it takes about a month to have it posted to the Federal Register and be assigned a docket number, and then I am guessing it takes another month or so to have it acted upon.

BUT, you also need to get an N-number!

To get the N-number you MUST go to an FAA FSDO and get a hardcopy of the multi-part Form 8050. It is a simple enough form; once you get it. You will also need a copy of your purchase invoice.

As to real estate video, these are really good to do, but of course you can't sell them just yet until that 333 Exemption is in hand.
Here is one I did:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My recommendations are (1) cut it to 2 minutes, (2) keep an altitude below 150 AGL, smooth and slow is better and don't keep moving the camera angle. Agents want an up and over the roof, for which cable cam is good, but be sure you know where the roof is or you will fly into it. A VO with you is really helpful. Keep a finger poised above the Pause button . I like to fly high over the roof and then descend to "measure" the roof height, return to start, go to the measured altitude, and a fly course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Maddog
I have my 333 and insurance, I agree with Robert in keeping the videos short depending on the size of the property. I believe the N number requirement will be dropped for aircraft under a given weight. It only makes sense for this new market. They could use the same # as the FAA registration but add in the additional information of the aircraft for 333 flyers. If you have seen the form 8050, it obviously is not ideal for RC aircraft.
Here is one I did last year..My pricing varies depending on size of project and whether they want pics with raw video or edited.

I have my 333 and insurance, I agree with Robert in keeping the videos short depending on the size of the property. I believe the N number requirement will be dropped for aircraft under a given weight. It only makes sense for this new market. They could use the same # as the FAA registration but add in the additional information of the aircraft for 333 flyers. If you have seen the form 8050, it obviously is not ideal for RC aircraft.
Here is one I did last year..My pricing varies depending on size of project and whether they want pics with raw video or edited.

Nice fade from Google to Solo :) Might have to remember that. And it looks like Solo handled the wind pretty well.

Not to go OT too much, but the question of insurance always comes up. Who insuures multirotors for commervial use? And what are we looking at for rates? Ballpark is fine.

Nice fade from Google to Solo :) Might have to remember that. And it looks like Solo handled the wind pretty well.

Not to go OT too much, but the question of insurance always comes up. Who insuures multirotors for commervial use? And what are we looking at for rates? Ballpark is fine.
I used Joe at the Bullock Agency. He worked up a couple quotes real quick and great personal service..Bullock Agency, Inc. | UAV/Drone Insurance

As a favor for a friend who is a realtor, my dad and I have been putting together 2 minute videos for houses that are for sale. It's definitely good practice. Any input is welcome!

Just some suggestions if you really want to get into real estate video (I've been doing it every day for 11 years.....)

1) 8 out of 10 homes do NOT warrant an aerial view. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Showing how close you are to neighbors, busy highways, seeing neighbors junk in their yards, showing the rooftop because there is nothing else to see etc. is NOT a plus... it's a negative. You

You only want and need aerial views if it's going to show POSITIVES to living in the house. If your real life view from the backyard is of the neighbor's house, the view of the ocean 3 miles away is almost IRRELEVANT if you have to get in your car and drive to actually SEE that ocean. You have to be sure to not to create anything that would be construed as false advertising.

2) Buyers are not birds. They will not be FLYING around their house that they're considering buying, and they certainly will not "fly around' the house once they live there. They're also not at all interested in views they will never see UNLESS they turn into a bird. Drone shots should be used to give perspective of how the home is sited on the land, and an overview of the property IF there is a nice one to show. AND THATS IT.

3) Buyers live ON THE GROUND. An effective real estate video will show the inside of the house as well, not just flying around the outside a million times. It's not interesting, compelling or helpful in selling properties. An effective real estate video should have a brief, establishing shot from the air (if it's justified) and then show the inside of the house and what it looks like from the ground.

4) Rooftops are almost always ugly. Why do so many people show so much rooftop and so often? I don't get it. Who wants to look at roofs and gutters?

Think as if you were a BUYER. What would YOU want to see?

Just some suggestions if you really want to get into real estate video (I've been doing it every day for 11 years.....)

1) 8 out of 10 homes do NOT warrant an aerial view. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Showing how close you are to neighbors, busy highways, seeing neighbors junk in their yards, showing the rooftop because there is nothing else to see etc. is NOT a plus... it's a negative. You

You only want and need aerial views if it's going to show POSITIVES to living in the house. If your real life view from the backyard is of the neighbor's house, the view of the ocean 3 miles away is almost IRRELEVANT if you have to get in your car and drive to actually SEE that ocean. You have to be sure to not to create anything that would be construed as false advertising.

2) Buyers are not birds. They will not be FLYING around their house that they're considering buying, and they certainly will not "fly around' the house once they live there. They're also not at all interested in views they will never see UNLESS they turn into a bird. Drone shots should be used to give perspective of how the home is sited on the land, and an overview of the property IF there is a nice one to show. AND THATS IT.

3) Buyers live ON THE GROUND. An effective real estate video will show the inside of the house as well, not just flying around the outside a million times. It's not interesting, compelling or helpful in selling properties. An effective real estate video should have a brief, establishing shot from the air (if it's justified) and then show the inside of the house and what it looks like from the ground.

4) Rooftops are almost always ugly. Why do so many people show so much rooftop and so often? I don't get it. Who wants to look at roofs and gutters?

Think as if you were a BUYER. What would YOU want to see?

I agree with most of you points. What I'm noticing, though, is that these videos seem to be more for the realtor and seller of the home than for the buyer. Everyone has been very happy with the videos so far, I just wonder if the realtors will continue to see value in these videos. Also, the videos I've provided were for the realtor to supplement pre-existing interior footage, so the buyer isn't just getting arial footage.

Personally, if I were buying a million dollar home, I wouldn't mind spending two minutes watching aerial footage of the property.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks