Custom OSD. Anyone up for a challenge?

Reaction score
Any coders/techies out there fancy a challenge?

From a few of the posts here I understand that the Solo App OSD can be customised. I don't have the skills to do this and I hope one of you fine people is up to the job.

Why?

I'm a search and rescue volunteer in south Wales in the UK and looking to use my Solo as a proof of concept. Our own aerial platform, portable and quick to deploy would give the team a massive boost in its capability. While we have access to a Coastguard heli and a Police heli (for now) these resources are shared across a number of Mountain Rescue teams, when they're not off doing their day job or diverted to a higher priority job).

The changes I'm after are:
  • On screen GPS coordinates (preferably in British National Grid)
  • Heading/bearing of the Solo (digital compass reading?)
  • Altitude above sea level / GPS altitude
  • Nominal Above Ground Level / altitude (GPS altitude minus ground level at that point)
Anyone out there fancy taking this on?

I'd like these features as well. A bit spoiled since I'm used to the DIY OSD stuff where that information is readily available.

I've done this on a basic level just to try it out, but it's not easy or plug and play. It's easy to set up a webserver on Solo using the computer and its Linux operating system. From there, you just make a web page that queries all of the parameters you want and display them. You just access it in a web browser when connected to Solo and it will give you realtime data. Here is a very basic example that shows altitude, lat and lng in the development guide: Running a Webserver | 3DR Solo Development Guide

But AFAIK, there is no way to customize the data that shows up in the main app without mods, and the app source code isn't open source.

I can see why many of the datapoints we like nerding out on are not there from the factory. The consumer audience doesn't really care, and screen real estate is limited. But I would think a compass that shows at least what direction you're pointing would be quite basic for the app.

Reactions: Marty Westguard
this can be done but would require a custom android app (ios tbd). tower is open source, so that could be your base and you just incorporate the changes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso