Couldn't acquire GPS at all! Until!

Reaction score
First day with my Solo and couldn't get any GPS at all! Pulled the gimbal off for other for the 5th time, this time just to check the GPS connections and located the red wire in the connector was pushed out... I was able to push it back in and WA LAH! I got GPS
I'll post a pic when I can. Hope this helps.

image.jpeg
You notice the red wire at the bottom, the plastic lock is bent and won't lock at all... Makes me a little nervous that it could vibrate out and lose GPS.

Here is the wire that was loose and causing the GPS receiver from powering up. I can't get it to lock in the connector the plastic lock is messed up, makes me a little uneasy knowing that it could vibrate out in flight.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 16
Here is the wire that was loose and causing the GPS receiver from powering up. I can't get it to lock in the connector the plastic lock is messed up, makes me a little uneasy knowing that it could vibrate out in flight.

Thanks for sharing, yep.. we SHOULD not have to worry about that kind of thing, but as of late... 3DR is really starting to make me wonder why I bought a Solo in the first place. RTF, really? That is if you have to work on it...

Cheers

I wander the same. I got caught with the simplicity of recording video and pics, but i did not expect that it would not include a gimball, that my smartphone would not be compatible and a long etc which makes it a very expensive drone compared to others.
They say customer care is great but who cares when it doubles almost the price of a phantom 3.

Hello all.
Just received my Solo this week. Today I tried to take my maiden flight but have not been able to lock any GPS. I've now tried 3 different large parks. Allowing a least 5 minutes for Solo to do its thing. Solo keeps chirping a broken record as I sat staring at the red satellite icon. I guess its time to open it up and confirm good connections. I've already gone through the trouble shooting list as per the in app support FAQ.
That leads me to ask, can anyone recommend a simple tool kit I should have to trouble shoot any issues in the future? Is it a one bit fits all? if so what size?

Thanks!

Hello all.
Just received my Solo this week. Today I tried to take my maiden flight but have not been able to lock any GPS. I've now tried 3 different large parks. Allowing a least 5 minutes for Solo to do its thing. Solo keeps chirping a broken record as I sat staring at the red satellite icon. I guess its time to open it up and confirm good connections. I've already gone through the trouble shooting list as per the in app support FAQ.
That leads me to ask, can anyone recommend a simple tool kit I should have to trouble shoot any issues in the future? Is it a one bit fits all? if so what size?

Thanks!
The constant chirping is telling you there is a GPS connection problem. It's usually the one directly under the battery tray.

After opening up the unit this morning, I discovered a completely disconnected GPS. After close inspection of the clip that secures the connection, I'm suspicious the clip was installed damaged. No loose pieces found in the unit but the connection can be pulled free without much force at all. Shouldn't the GPS connection clip lock? If so, I purchased this unit in what I'd call damaged condition.

Take a look at my images. Sorry I couldn't get any closer with the iphone camera. If it is in fact broken, should I be speaking with 3DR at this point?

Thanks for the help!
View media item 176View media item 175View media item 174

Thought I would update you all on my particular situation. Last night, I hit the "call 3DR" button on my app and was pleased to be speaking with Owen, of technical support, within about 30 seconds of connecting. I briefly explained my experience and findings and without hesitation Owen said that in his opinion, a replacement is in order to avoid any physical GPS connection loss while in the air. A couple minutes to input some personal contact details and I was already being taken care of and on the path towards a solution.
This morning, I exchanged a few emails with Owen regarding the shipping label being received, affixed and scanned in at my local FedEx. I expressed that I originally decided to purchase the Solo for two weeks of travel around the United States starting 12/22. He assured me that he will personally look over my Return/Replacement to ensure I've got the new unit in time for my departure.

A few takeaways from the customer service experience:
  1. A simple phone system that uses automation/menus to quickly and efficiently connect you with the right person rather than substitute for a live person.
  2. Absolute professionalism during the conversation. Very polite and took time to listen to everything I had to say regardless if importance. (I'm new to drones of this caliber and I'm sure I only half sounded like I new what I was talking about).
  3. I wasn't passed around between representatives. Owen answered my initial phone call and has been the single point of contact from my case opening and it looks like he is more than willing and able to see my case through to closure. I know we have all been in the situation when you explain your need for assistance, sometimes in length, only to be told you will be transferred to another department only to be asked to explain again, from the beginning. I'm looking at you Comcast and Direct TV...
Now as I've said before, this is my first drone. I've read plenty of write ups making the case that 3DR has a better value when compared to others such as DJI in part because of the customer service. Sure, in the few months after the initial release they showed some growing pains and shortcomings as some have expressed. This added value tilted my decision to purchase a Solo rather than a Phantom. Sure, I don't have any experience with DJI customer service but I've experienced the frustrating elsewhere and find the clean and personable experience a bit rare these days. I hope 3DR can maintain and improve their customer service even further while they continue to grow. We're dealing with automated drones here, but the human operators will always prefer the human touch when it comes to service.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc