Controller Technique

Pie

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Having come from R/C cars in my younger years I'm more used to having my thumbs only on the controller sticks.

What's the done thing with quadcopters, do you guys pinch each stick with a thumb and forefinger or do you just use thumbs only?

What are the pros and cons of each technique?

Tips of thumbs work for me. Raise and Lower stick height for more precise control.

Hey Guys,
Having come from R/C cars in my younger years I'm more used to having my thumbs only on the controller sticks.

What's the done thing with quadcopters, do you guys pinch each stick with a thumb and forefinger or do you just use thumbs only?

What are the pros and cons of each technique?
Do what you are comfortable with. I've been flying since 1983 and have always used my thumbs and no lanyard. But if you can get comfortable with a lanyard and the pinch, use it. As long as you are comfortable while flying.

It all comes down to preference. But keep in mind, you will get better precision and feel by flying with two fingers (or pinch method) than by flying with only the tops of your thumbs.

The issue is that most people graduate from video games and using the tops of their thumbs, and it's hard to learn new methods.

But if you can force yourself to use two fingers (or the pinch method) you'll be better off in the long run.

I've been a long time R/C flight instructor and have had very good luck with my students.

An alternate method is to put your thumb on top, but your index finger on the front/side of the stick. This gives you more feedback to your brain and finer control than if you only use your thumb.

Will have to try the pinch method, never got into video games, never did RC stuff, the solo is the first "toy"
Today was fairly mild wind, I programmed my A/B buttons for manual fly and fly, burned up 1 battery with solo in manual facing away from me and another facing me, tomorrow might do same thing at 90 degree angles to me, feeling A LOT more confident if I lose GPS I won't slide into whatever is down wind...

Thumbs only here, I need my pointer fingers to operate the camera controls!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M