controller for another gimbal

Reaction score
I don't like nor intend to use the GoPro camera, so I am looking for another camera and I'll need another gimbal. So, my wondering: will I be able to use the same controller for both drone and gimbal?

I don't like nor intend to use the GoPro camera, so I am looking for another camera and I'll need another gimbal. So, my wondering: will I be able to use the same controller for both drone and gimbal?
Where are you getting that other gimbal? R U doing SiteScan?

"I don't like nor intend to use the GoPro camera"
Did you know before you bought Solo, that it was made specifically to work with GoPro camera?
Then why did you buy it?

Reactions: SARDG
Not purchased yet. Not Site Scan nor construction field are the beach here. Better 4K video is the only goal.

Yuneek Typhoon G as second option.

Or anything based on this frame:
rOsewhite Multicopters | Tamara Series

Both can be other options.
But, there's a good offer from Best Buy for Solo these days.

So, the intention could be to adapt it to one of these Four Thirds format cameras:

Z Camera E1 Mini 4K Interchangeable Lens Camera E1CAM3A701 B&H

The Yi M1 is a $330 mirrorless camera

Similar to this mod here:

3DR Solo gimbal adapter for pocket camera by AlpoHassinen

Better motors can also help the extra payload, isn't it?

Copterlab can also provide another gimbal. The point is that we need to know if the same controller can be used in both another gimbal and Solo.

There's also another thread on this topic:
Another camera for Solo...

Last edited:
I don't know that answer either, but it sounds like you are trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
You know what the problem is?

GoPro IQ sucks. Manufacturers when understand you can earn money with better IQ than GoPro, they charge 5-10 times if not more. See the example of a gimbal. For Solo/Go Pro costs $200. They announce one for GH4, they charge $2,999 for a gimbal! They want their part of a share of the profit they estimate you can have with the tools you'll work with. That is, from your work.

I guess with mods like this one more:
Motors Swapped to T-Motor 2216-12 800kV

We can workaround, no?

as for instance...?
Any drone that uses cameras other than GoPro. Solo was designed around it. Knowing you won't be using a GoPro and buying a Solo anyway makes no sense to me.

Any drone that uses cameras other than GoPro. Solo was designed around it. Knowing you won't be using a GoPro and buying a Solo anyway makes no sense to me.
Yes. Personally, the reason I bought Solo and not (for instance) Phantom, is because Solo used a GP. The only other drone I considered at the time was Walkera - because there was a GP compatible gimbal for it.

Hey, I think GoPro is pretty good. I came up with 8mm./Super 8mm film and graduated to 1" helical scan video tape, using Vidicons for the pickup tubes and showing on a CRT display. :eek: Early on, we could do only 'assembly' edits - not even insert edits. No time base correction. Life was tough...

Reactions: Steven Ackerman
To each its own. The point is you're making this thread a love thread for Go Pro, when it is exactly the opposite the OP intends. Go Pro is not welcome, but Solo. With another camera and another gimbal.

The point is payload. Will Solo handle it? What necessary mods for?

Last edited:
To each its own. The point is you're making this thread a love thread for Go Pro, when it is exactly the opposite the OP intends. Go Pro is not welcome, but Solo. With another camera and another gimbal.

The point is payload. Will Solo handle it? What necessary mods for?
Hi man,
You are wasting your time here.
And ours too.
Here is the place for Solo And Gopro lovers.
Please go and play elsewhere. ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi man,
You are wasting your time here.
And ours too.
Here is the place for Solo And Gopro lovers.
Please go and play elsewhere. ..
Solo, for sure. GoPro? Waste of time is you posting this, especially after this discussion here: Another camera for Solo...

Do your homework first, before starting to shoot to where you show off to have no absolute clue about.

Aside the flaws of GoPro footage, maybe acceptable to you, so your in your own then; wasting of time is you coming here from your "highness"... What bothers you? Someone trying to look for another camera for your loved drone? Perhaps, because there is better option there and you have no knowledge on it? Is that your beef?

Dude, crappy show off is invariably uncalled and completely useless here or everywhere else. You have something worthy to add as information on topic, very well, be welcome. Other than that, do a favor to you and to any reader of you (poor of me that I had to read you coming to pee over here), let other people to live outside your bubble ;)

Now on topic, I and my partners (yes, because there are professional people trying to get alternatives to the poor IQ of GoPro 3, 4, 5 and so on) have had information on a certain company (BTW, a French one, hey Michel ;) ) able to try getting workarounds on topic:

2 Axis Agrowing's Multispectral modified Sony QX1 Alpha 5000 Alpha 6000 Gimbal for 3DR Solo

And there is actually the idea to develop a gimbal for an alternative camera to GoPro.

It also seems to be confirmed that can be used the same controller for drone and gimbal. So, this thread seems complied on topic whether someone may think it is a wasting of time to ask for valuable information or not. I'm sorry we can't find relevant information for the needs of all nor please everyone; we'd like to but for some people is useless at all ;)

Here's another offer from a French :D company with another camera coupled to Solo:
http://escadrone.com/solo-mapper/?lang=en

And here's another poster to risk to be nominated to "wasting time" award for a tiny minority of here, I guess, but always interesting to those really interested to look for information for their own to share with others:

3DR Solo with Canon S110

We apologize to disturb a few minds who may feel bothered to come here and see what others are humbly trying to discuss with the community. There have already been ugly fights in the history of humankind because of such boldness. Hope to not be shot this time. As matter of fact, the only shots I'd like to see over these pages are the ones to be possible with a bird that has made us to come here to post in these boards.

Bla bla bla... No added value in three posts.... just recaps on what others have already brought here and there...
We are all following the same, but we are not "killing" the Gopro as Solo was designed around it, like you try to do.
Maybe you are a professional, but others are giving here much more added value with their threads. Respect to them, as they come with passion, not with agressiveness...
"Those who speak loud, are often those who know less..."

Bla bla bla... No added value in three posts.... just recaps on what others have already brought here and there...
We are all following the same, but we are not "killing" the Gopro as Solo was designed around it, like you try to do.
Maybe you are a professional, but others are giving here much more added value with their threads. Respect to them, as they come with passion, not with agressiveness...
"Those who speak loud, are often those who know less..."
hey, hey, who came aggressive here?
Who is the OP here? Passion, you said?
Who's highjacking this thread with nothing but hate, addressed to the topic? Not enough, against the messenger (if we can call it like that) too? Brother, we are united in our Solo love! hehe (I am, you? No idea)

Respect, you wrote? Oh yeah... Anyone went for trolling elsewhere out there? Do you see me posting in any thread where you and lovers of that camera praise the "whole thing"?
Or instead, someone else entered here to "try" to bash who dares to even mention a different capture device?? (the difference...)
C'mon, give to any reader of you HERE, in this thread, a break...
I am a guest in this forum, but you are a guest too, in this forum oh yeah, but YOU also in this thread if you didn't notice yet. Take your seat ;)

You don't like the information posted by moi (man, you pay me the bills, by any chance? if... to begin with, I'd have it, I hadn't come here, think twice for once, at least!).
Who says that nothing new is not present in this same page?! You? :D Do a favor to yourself and show a little bit more of complacency with yourself as someone able to read, listen and understand the reading.

I won't ask you for your age for a simple reason: I hope to never cross again with you. Before to read anything in this forum, I'll try to see first who the poster is. Give me a favor, do the same. Put me in your ignore list, I'll say the last thing I want to address to you: merci beaucoup!

Last edited:
To all other 3DRPilots members:
Please accept my deepest apologies, but I could not refrain in front of such impolite, aggressive and unjustified invasion...
As this bean is suggesting, I am ignoring him.

Hope you will forgive me.
Cheers

I'm still baffled.
Why do you still want a Solo? You don't want GoPro or the gimbal for it.
Apparently it's just the Solo airframe itself you're interested in as a base for your own custom drone.
If that's the case, why not put your own drone together? Or at least consider one that's not designed from the ground up around GoPro? It seems as if you're actively trying to make things as difficult as possible for yourself.
Its kinda like saying you definitely want a Prius - but not that damned annoying hybrid engine it comes with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig