controller for another gimbal

I'm still baffled.
Why do you still want a Solo? You don't want GoPro or the gimbal for it.
Apparently it's just the Solo airframe itself you're interested in as a base for your own custom drone.
If that's the case, why not put your own drone together? Or at least consider one that's not designed from the ground up around GoPro? It seems as if you're actively trying to make things as difficult as possible for yourself.
Its kinda like saying you definitely want a Prius - but not that damned annoying hybrid engine it comes with.
I like the drone. I think it is unique in its kind. I don't see it as exclusively designed with GoPro. I've also read some other reports to complain against the gimbal, despite the fact in boards like this one their camera is praised. If you go to any professional cinema forum, shooters don't even complain because everyone know the limitations of the device. But, maybe you are right. Hence to come here before to buy it. Posts like yours are welcome because promote the discussion and bring some another viewpoint rather helpful any time.

There are other people trying the workaround, but perhaps the result may be deceptive in the end. We are not stuck at Solo. Just checking all possible routes. Please if you have something worthy to be posted here, we appreciate.

To all other 3DRPilots members:
Please accept my deepest apologies, but I could not refrain in front of such impolite, aggressive and unjustified invasion...
As this bean is suggesting, I am ignoring him.

Hope you will forgive me.
Cheers
Stop to insult the other side and victimize yourself. Grow up, don't be melodramatic. Chill out, dude! Be happy :)

I'm curious what problem are you trying to solve? You looking to do mapping with it? Or cinematography?
Motion picture. The idea is to be able to shoot with a larger sensor size camera such as Micro 4/3" format acquisition. There's another thread on topic: http://3drpilots.com/threads/another-camera-for-solo.6866

This thread is only because there was no information if it could be used the same controller for both drone and another gimbal.

Last edited:
To put it simply, you're barking up the wrong tree. Such a device does not exist for solo with your requirements which I gather are: video, smooth gimbal stabilization/movements, control gimbal from controller paddle/dials and app control (smart shots, etc). The only one that currently fits those requirements is gopro+3dr gimbal.

To put it simply, you're barking up the wrong tree. Such a device does not exist for solo with your requirements which I gather are: video, smooth gimbal stabilization/movements, control gimbal from controller paddle/dials and app control (smart shots, etc). The only one that currently fits those requirements is gopro+3dr gimbal.
It is a pity indeed. Such lovely drone... So do you think such mods won't work it out at all? At least, the controller seemed solved, no need for separate ones. The point is to achieve those smooth gimbal stabilization/movements you refer with another "strange body" on Solo... That French company is committed to build up the gimbal if ordered with them, trying the best 3-axis they can, even though, they can only assure 2-axis for now from their existent gimbal for Solo with the Sony camera.

Last edited:
OK, things are becoming more clear.
Unfortunately, unless you're willing to utilize GoPro to its fullest - and truthfully, by utilizing various lens and accessory options it is very good indeed, well into the professional/commercial category - you're likely out of luck.
What really makes Solo unique is its "one-man" operation, the combination of smart shots and camera/gimbal control that make it the only drone on the market that can even come close to what you're looking for. Everything else? You'll need at least two operators.
Why not at least experiment with GoPro? You might find it to be far more capable than you'd thought.

Reactions: SARDG
OK, things are becoming more clear.
Unfortunately, unless you're willing to utilize GoPro to its fullest - and truthfully, by utilizing various lens and accessory options it is very good indeed, well into the professional/commercial category - you're likely out of luck.
What really makes Solo unique is its "one-man" operation, the combination of smart shots and camera/gimbal control that make it the only drone on the market that can even come close to what you're looking for. Everything else? You'll need at least two operators.
Why not at least experiment with GoPro? You might find it to be far more capable than you'd thought.
I know the camera. The issue is not one or another shot we can include in a piece of work. ProTune, as for instance, can really be useful and bring some other scope. The same for Peau mod. Other ones concur. The flat look from a tiny sensor size will stand, though. As same as the crappy bit rate, only to refer two examples. Without mention the poor color sampling, latitude/dynamic range, etc. The limitations are the trouble. Because the footage seems all identical. Any trained eye can easily identify the GoPro shots in the middle of footage. A drone camera must give as "natural" shots as any other camera, most part of the time. We speak about cameras for professional use, of course.

There are other drone combinations which can avoid the two operators too, actually. Just don't beat Solo IMO.

Edit:
This has been announced today but same tiny sensor stands...
ADVENTURE AT YOUR FINGERTIPS

Last edited:
Stop to insult the other side and victimize yourself. Grow up, don't be melodramatic. Chill out, dude! Be happy :)
Sir,
Who do you think you are to judge ? You feel superior ? Ok, I will not fight to check who has the longest dick, certainly you....
The only one I am insulting is you, certainly not anyone else here.
You came in aggressively, making bad noise around GoPro, so you got swiped... mine was just more direct, and if you felt offensed, it's probally because I was no so wrong...
At the end of this thread, where are you ? Nowhere...back to square 1.
Apart of having heavily criticised GoPro, what did you bring ? Venom...
Respect yourself first, and others may do it in return!

You have just made people losing their time (and mine is more important to my eyes than yours).
Congratulations, Sir!

Sir,
Who do you think you are to judge ? You feel superior ? Ok, I will not fight to check who has the longest dick, certainly you....
The only one I am insulting is you, certainly not anyone else here.
You came in aggressively, making bad noise around GoPro, so you got swiped... mine was just more direct, and if you felt offensed, it's probally because I was no so wrong...
At the end of this thread, where are you ? Nowhere...back to square 1.
Apart of having heavily criticised GoPro, what did you bring ? Venom...
Respect yourself first, and others may do it in return!

You have just made people losing their time (and mine is more important to my eyes than yours).
Congratulations, Sir!
You are insistent, humm? ;) I thought you had put my posts in your ignore list? Didn't you? What stops you? haha

Listen... First off, no one here came aggressive except you. Secondly, no one came here offended because of any content (I've even asked for it and appreciated the collaboration and participation of several other posters) except your elephant move in a social location inhabited by human beings. As third place, it is not a matter of GoPro criticism, kid, GoPro sucks. Fact. If you don't trust my words, educate yourself in the right place for. Who said I am back to square 1? Have you read my posts other than protesting because I don't clap your team? The answer for controller is done since a few days ago.

To listen some other people on their thoughts and arguments, this doesn't mean to give up to test the drone with other gimbal and camera. On the contrary, there has been progress to find mods, other people trying the same, even gimbal manufacturers ready to supply the gimbal. Where's your point among all this?

Don't be stuck on gimmick marketing moves... ;) Hollywood movies use REDs and other animals for aerial shots, mainly. This kind of material when pops up happens to mimic amateur point of view. Even if it was used there or there, only for inserts, nothing more. As same as minor devices before. DV cams, for example, some years ago.

We look for regular acquisition, not occasional.

Don't be stuck on gimmick marketing moves... ;) Hollywood movies use REDs and other animals for aerial shots, mainly. This kind of material when pops up happens to mimic amateur point of view. Even if it was used there or there, only for inserts, nothing more. As same as minor devices before. DV cams, for example, some years ago.

We look for regular acquisition, not occasional.
I know what you are saying and agree somewhat. But I had a chance to talk to Colin Guinn at interdone along with other producers and DPs of emmy awarded programs. Not only was a good portion of the final scene of 13hrs, directed by Michael Bay, recorded with a Solo and GP with 3.97 Peau lens, other producers and DPs there agreed that a lot of the old view is changing with the better tools available in Post. Colin told me that many in Hollywood are now more interested in "getting the shot" than the camera used. I guess it depends on the talent in post to make it work...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I know what you are saying and agree somewhat. But I had a chance to talk to Colin Guinn at interdone along with other producers and DPs of emmy awarded programs. Not only was a good portion of the final scene of 13hrs, directed by Michael Bay, recorded with a Solo and GP with 3.97 Peau lens, other producers and DPs there agreed that a lot of the old view is changing with the better tools available in Post. Colin told me that many in Hollywood are now more interested in "getting the shot" that the camera used. I guess it depends on the guy in post to make it work...
Yes, no doubt. Here are two fine examples:

In any case, small sensors are a pain in the ass when there are larger sensors around the corner with much better results. That's the point.

Reactions: Jubalr
Yes, no doubt. Here are two fine examples:

In any case, small sensors are a pain in the ass when there are larger sensors around the corner with much better results. That's the point.
Norway is on my list... Iceland and Norway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle