Connecting a Wifi device to the Solo used as access point

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a specific question concerning the Wifi link of the Solo.

Is there a way to do the following:

* having a Solo in flight, controlled by an operator through the regular controller
* the Solo is far away from the controller (still in range, let's say one mile away), and it hovers in stationary flight over another human being
* this human being has a Wifi device in hand (such as a smartphone). The Solo is hovering over him.
* connecting the smartphone to the Solo used as an access point, while not loosing the Solo<-->controller Wifi connexion
* Solo then relaying the data from the smartphone to the controller

Is there a way to do that? I know that I can connect the smartphone directly to the Controller used as an access point, but assuming the controller is not in range of the smartphone, can I establish a connexion directly from the smartphone to the Solo, and use the Solo as a relay to the controller?

Thanks by advance if you have any solution or hint.

Reactions: J R
QC,
I don't know how to do all that you ask about. What I do know is that my controller is stock and limits out at about 1350' from take off point, so a mile away may not occur.

The other thing I've experienced is that in an effort to connect 2 smart phones/tablets simultaneously isn't possible with the current SOLO software version. (My wife and I wanted to both be watching on separate phones, but found we can't) SOLO stays connected to the initial device. Meaning, when telling the 2nd device to connect, the device isn't allowed to "override" or "step on" the first device's signal/IP address I think it's called. I've asked 3DR about future software updates having this capability, but they couldn't give a time when, or if it will ever be an option.

Hope this helps?

Thanks a lot for your help. It doesn't solve my issue yet, but thanks for your input. Any information, even fragmented, is useful.

Regards.

From what i understand, you connect your phone or tablet to the controller, not the solo itself. I don't think you can connect directly to the Solo.

Hello everyone,

I have a specific question concerning the Wifi link of the Solo.

Is there a way to do the following:

* having a Solo in flight, controlled by an operator through the regular controller
* the Solo is far away from the controller (still in range, let's say one mile away), and it hovers in stationary flight over another human being
* this human being has a Wifi device in hand (such as a smartphone). The Solo is hovering over him.
* connecting the smartphone to the Solo used as an access point, while not loosing the Solo<-->controller Wifi connexion
* Solo then relaying the data from the smartphone to the controller

Is there a way to do that? I know that I can connect the smartphone directly to the Controller used as an access point, but assuming the controller is not in range of the smartphone, can I establish a connexion directly from the smartphone to the Solo, and use the Solo as a relay to the controller?

Thanks by advance if you have any solution or hint.

You will not be able to do what you wish to achieve; as the Solo is a "client" to the handheld controller, whic is the wireless access point.

To achieve what you wish, you'd need to create another access point, and let the solo connect to that ( in the same way that you can wander around a hotel and switch between access points) to maintain concurrent connectivity and control then these access point will have to be linked.

This is basically the way a typical Local Access Network works. IMHO 3DR are not employing a typical LAN topology. Hopefully they will do so in the future...

BN

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks