Colin will flip out. DJI parts on Solo !

Reaction score
Hilarious. DBS has swapped out the antennas on the Solo with DJI units and drastically improved range.

oh man, just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water,,,,lol

Leftover antennas from modding my P3 controller mounted to the legs of the Solo... front and back...

LySxhuO.jpg

DBS, what did you change, the antenna's in the legs? You put the antenna's from the P3 into the Solo legs and it works better? LOL

Sorry to ask, it's hard to see what you did from the photo.

Send in a support ticket and ask them why the DJI antennas work better? ;)

DBS, what did you change, the antenna's in the legs? You put the antenna's from the P3 into the Solo legs and it works better? LOL

Sorry to ask, it's hard to see what you did from the photo.

Yes sir... added some arrows for ya

N4I80R8.jpg

Actually this is really a testament TO Solo....

There are MANY examples where we can do this, including swapping standard Wifi cards, gimbals, sensors, etc. and inclusing new products. Since the Solo is built of mainly open source components and software, most of its makeup has a lot of open source documentation, and there is already a LOT of experimentation going on. This opens up many avenues for mods and upgrades....

This is one of the major advantages of the concept, and one of reasons I am interested in Solo.

I had to zoom into your photo to see what you did. Now I see it, thanks!

The DJI probably has a gain antenna. The stock Solo antenna is probably just a coaxial dipole.

Actually, thinking about this, I don't think these antennas have more gain. That might be hard on the flying end (the Solo), unless the radiation pattern could be controlled as down and horizontal.

Perhaps these antennas are just more efficient, less reflected power, etc.

It would be interesting to analyze them to understand the differences. Maybe @CanadianSolo should also sweep the antennas on the Solo to see how they work and compare them to the DJI antennas.

I am sure they are more directional to get the gain.

Let reflected power would mean they were poorly designed and mismatched. From what I saw they are like little mini panels.

I havn't taken apart the SOLO yet. I dont know what the connectors inside the quad look like? But yes I could! :) Thanks Rich.

@CanadianSolo I don't know what your work has for equipment but unless you have some type of field strength setup not sure it would gain you anything. I assume your "sweep" was just done on an antenna analyzer. I have a Sark but does not go that high in frequency.

That looks good. I've been looking for a decent set of router antennas to crack open and test, and of a similar length.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44