Cant get rid of vibrations, maybe its not your cable

More than you wanted to know I'm sure
Are you confused yet?

Rich,

No, not really. I actually want to learn more and understand better. I am confused though. I am actually running my tests for 10 seconds, I just dropped it down to 5 to make the video shorter (a little tough holding the iPad up to record while using the mouse to select the motor and then popping over to hit the sample button on the app).

On that particular video/test, motor 03 has a very distinct oscillating pattern. None of the others do. I also just can't get finite enough to get a precise reading. On the IOS Vibration app I get between .001 and .003 with no tape at all. I wish there were more than 3 digits so I could get a better, more precise read.

Moving the phone or pad around or strapping it down, putting foam underneath or not has a lot of impact on the readings. In one case a particular motor might be crappy but changing positions or conditions makes a different motor crappy.

I've literally spent an easy 15 hours doing this now. I've gone through 2 batteries without every taking off. I think I'm just stuck in the rut now. The Badger is definitely winning this one! I might have to give it up for a few days and clear my head.

Thanks for the info.

Jerry

Yeah, I'm learning alright, now I've got motor pod 03 out giving it a look see. I'd like to swap motor pods 03 and 04 just to see if the problem follows the pod. I think I'll wait until some of the experienced guys (hopefully) chime in. I don't want to get everything confused in case someone has some thoughts.

Jerry
Jerry, you're becoming an expert at this. You're further down the rabbit hole than I have ever been.

Reactions: J R
Jerry, you're becoming an expert at this. You're further down the rabbit hole than I have ever been.

No expert here Ray, quite far from it. And it ain't a Rabbit hole it's a Badger hole! Rabbits don't beat the crap out of you but Badgers do! And this one is kicking my a$$!

Jerry

Reactions: Raybro
Jerry, I just finished balancing my motors- took me about 20 minutes.
I only did 2 motors because the other 2 had readings around .004/.004 so I didn't do them. I figure .000 would be as good as you can get it with this app.

I just set my iPad on top of the battery and made sure not to move it. I don't see any point in moving it here, there and everywhere. An iPhone could be placed close to each motor which would probably be a better position, but- these are small motors with little mass. We are not working on parts for the space shuttle. They will only be so good but never perfect.

You might be spending more time balancing than you will get back in the way of smoothness. (Hope that makes sense).

I got the other 2 to .009/.011 and .005/.004 and called it a day.

Reactions: J R and Del
Rich,

No, not really. I actually want to learn more and understand better. I am confused though. I am actually running my tests for 10 seconds, I just dropped it down to 5 to make the video shorter (a little tough holding the iPad up to record while using the mouse to select the motor and then popping over to hit the sample button on the app).

On that particular video/test, motor 03 has a very distinct oscillating pattern. None of the others do. I also just can't get finite enough to get a precise reading. On the IOS Vibration app I get between .001 and .003 with no tape at all. I wish there were more than 3 digits so I could get a better, more precise read.

Moving the phone or pad around or strapping it down, putting foam underneath or not has a lot of impact on the readings. In one case a particular motor might be crappy but changing positions or conditions makes a different motor crappy.

I've literally spent an easy 15 hours doing this now. I've gone through 2 batteries without every taking off. I think I'm just stuck in the rut now. The Badger is definitely winning this one! I might have to give it up for a few days and clear my head.

Thanks for the info.

Jerry
Which app are you using? The one from the video Earl posted?

If anybody has any tips, tricks, or corrections please speak up- I don't want to reinvent the wheel here.:D

Unless your motor is really vibrating, I'd start with just a single piece of tape. I was surprised how little mine took to get rid of the vibrations, and I was using electrical tape, not metal.

You can start off pretty rough, just move the tape from one of the little arms connecting the top of the motor to the side. Where there's the larger gap, just put the tape right in the middle. You'll see the vibrations go up or down. Just repeat until it gets low, then starts getting higher. Move the tape back and start fine tuning placement and size. It takes time, but you can start out pretty rough and put your time into the fine tuning.

Reactions: J R and RichWest
You might be spending more time balancing than you will get back in the way of smoothness. (Hope that makes sense).

I got the other 2 to .009/.011 and .005/.004 and called it a day.

Maddog,

You may be right. I've got all of mine below .004, 2 of them fluctuating between .001 and .002 but was thinking I should get better than that. I just don't understand why we're starting at such a low place compared to others. Even in the video Earl posted I think he was at .146 or something like that when he started and didn't get close to the readings we're getting. I'm using the same app that he uses in the video. More than the readings themselves, I got concerned about the different pattern in motor 03 using a different app that I could enlarge the graph on ( the Android app in my video clip).

If the weather permits I'll do some test flights tomorrow. I should have my prop balancer and rod tomorrow afternoon. Then I can move on to that wonderful, and I'm certain, incredibly simple task! :)

Jerry

Last edited:
No expert here Ray, quite far from it. And it ain't a Rabbit hole it's a Badger hole! Rabbits don't beat the crap out of you but Badgers do! And this one is kicking my a$$!

Jerry
Teach me when you're done oh wise one....:D

Reactions: J R
Maddog,

You may be right. I've got all of mine below .004, 2 of them fluctuating between .001 and .002 but was thinking I should get better than that. I just don't understand why we're starting at such a low place compared to others. Even in the video Earl posted I think he was at .146 or something like that when he started and didn't get close to the readings we're getting. I'm using the same app that he uses in the video. More than the readings themselves, I got concerned about the different pattern in motor 03 using a different app that I could enlarge the graph on ( the Android app in my video clip).

If the weather permits I'll do some test flights tomorrow. I should have my prop balancer and rod tomorrow afternoon. Then I can move on to that wonderful, and I'm certain, incredibly simple task! :)

Jerry
Um, maybe we're starting at a low reading because our motors are well balanced or better than Earl's. Maybe you need to look elsewhere for video-vibration causes. Props are a more likely cause. I didn't realize you hadn't done yours yet.

Reactions: RichWest
I didn't realize you hadn't done yours yet.

Maddog,

As I said, I'm pretty new to some of this stuff. Half a Jack at some things Master of none! I've only been into these quads for a year or so. My other two birds never seemed to need the attention to these particular issues. Prop balancer and rod should be here tomorrow or Monday. Figured I'd try to knock out the motor balance while waiting for them. One thing at a time. I'm a little slow but I'll catch on. ;)

Jerry

Reactions: Maddog
Maddog,

Jerry
Sorry I haven't been replying here. Been busy and been away.

Anyway, I've never used a smart phone to balance a motor. I'm sure it works, but I have my doubts. Call me old fashioned, but personally I prefer a more analog approach using a pen laser. That way you can see the vibration with your own eyes, and you'll know when your dialed in. The trick is to reflect the laser at least 15 or 20 feet away.

Anyhow, here's the first video that I came across that shows the basic set up. Everyone does it a little differently, so don't be afraid to come up with your own variation. Even though you won't get feedback in the form of a digital read out, I believe balancing with a laser is more precise. The laser doesn't lie. It can't lie - if you don't get a perfect dot, your not balanced.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyway, I've never used a smart phone to balance a motor. I'm sure it works, but I have my doubts. Call me old fashioned, but personally I prefer a more analog approach using a pen laser. That way you can see the vibration with your own eyes, and you'll know when your dialed in. The trick is to reflect the laser at least 15 or 20 feet away.

Anyhow, here's the first video that I came across that shows the basic set up. Everyone does it a little differently, so don't be afraid to come up with your own variation. Even though you won't get feedback in the form of a digital read out, I believe balancing with a laser is more precise. The laser doesn't lie. It can't lie - if you don't get a perfect dot, your not balanced.

I'd also like to add that I believe it is far more important to focus on isolating vibration from the camera than it is to balance motors or props. Yes, it's best to go after the problem at the source. And balancing props is so easy that you might as well do it. But it's worth remembering that you can never truly balance your motors/props. You might get it perfect on the ground, but as soon as the bird is aloft, it is subject to so many different aerodynamic forces and physical stresses that all your work on the ground goes out the window.

Motors and props these days are so much better than they used to be. Unless you get a lemon that is way out of wack, you should be able to get good smooth video... IF you have a good vibration suppression system in place.

I think the Solo does a reasonable job if you mind the HDMI and gimbal cables.

It's been awhile now, but what I recall from your original video is thinking you've got a bad gimbal. Having said that, it wasn't so bad that you can't clean that all up in post with stabilization. I know that's not the answer you (or most folks) are looking for, but I want to put it out there anyway.

I also remember seeing a very subtle bit of jello at certain moments of the video. Jello is caused by vibration when using a rolling shutter, but can be fixed with an ND filter. If you don't use one already, you should. Especially on bright days. Another way to fix jello is to increase frame rate, but that results in degraded image quality.

Rich,

Thanks for the info.

Jerry
Wish I could spend 15 hours on my Solo.:D
Retirement........while I'm at work rebuilding Raid arrays and configuring network switches and thinking about where to fly my Solo next for some good video footage. Now today on my day off...RAIN! Glad you're getting into it. One thing about it, there is a lot of info out there on 3DR products whereas very little regarding DJI stuff.....it's Wang's deep dark secret.:eek:

That is awesome. So it is trial and error in the beginning as to where to place the tape. Seems very simple. Just need some kind of jig for holding the motor, laser, and mirror. Jerry will be all over this.

Last edited:
I'd also like to add that I believe it is far more important to focus on isolating vibration from the camera than it is to balance motors or props.

I think the Solo does a reasonable job if you mind the HDMI and gimbal cables.

Erik,

Thanks much for chiming in. I always seem to agree with your comments. Your thoughts regarding this issue bring a certain calm and senability to what has been a somewhat chaotic endeavor for me.

I saw the laser video as I was pouring over the Internet looking for a more precise yet simplistic method. In many of the more exacting processes the motor is completely removed from the bird and attached to some sort of jig which would eliminate many variables. To do so would require more than I'm willing to expend at this point. And as you noted, could and maybe should be considered overkill on a relatively new and maturing component of this product.

My objective here is probably a bit different than most visiting this forum as I have little to no photographic experience. I became interested in this hobby because of its uniqueness and pre-packaged, consumer grade technology. Much like I took to the original IBM personal computer some 35 years ago.

I bought these quads to take pictures and videos to share with my family and friends. As with anything I take on, the more I learn, the deeper I go. I continually flip-flop between trying my hand at the photographic element and pushing the envelope to see what I can get these things to do from a flying perspective.

Although I'm just trying to provide pleasing and interesting video for personal sharing I'm bothered by noticable imperfections. The video side of the Solo will be much tougher for me. The "other ones" seem to be much more automated in this process. To me the gimbal setup is also better. I haven't experienced the issues that I'm now confronted with although I've had my share of other issues.

I don't know the first thing about editing, color correction, saturation, stabilization or the other photographic elements. Just the size of these files and the process of cutting, pasting, adding a title and some music is a chore in itself. For me a very time consuming process and I am using an I7 with lots of RAM and SSD's.

If you watched the orbit I did at the lake (there was a bit of wind but certainly not unbearable) there were two obvious obstacles that made the video much less desirable. The shaking from the wind, transmitted to the camera through the gimbal and the changes in the direction of the camera in conjunction with the sun. (I'm sure there are many other flaws to the many professional people here but those are the two most important to me).

For me, the layman, these two issues produce a very amateurish feel. The latter will require a great deal of learning from a photographic perspective. I get it. The shaking is a function of the design and implementation of the product itself. Obviously, not as easily resolved as I first thought.

I think you and some others are right, the biggest issue regarding the vibration has to be the introduction and implementation of the gimbal itself. I know Rich is looking into the isolators and someone else is trying to replace the data cable and I look forward to following those findings. I think the HDMI ribbon cable is a good start. It just seems more logical to me than the OEM cable, provided there isn't any degradation in quality or interference issues.

Anyway, once again I'm rambling. I'm going to test the motor balancing that I've achieved thus far, balance the props as soon as I get my balancer and take it from there.

I very much enjoy reading the experiences of others on this forum. I'm learning a great deal and I'm enjoying the process of using my hands and mind. That being said, it's all a win-win for me! Thanks again for your response.

Jerry

Erik,

Thanks much for chiming in. I always seem to agree with your comments. Your thoughts regarding this issue bring a certain calm and senability to what has been a somewhat chaotic endeavor for me.

I saw the laser video as I was pouring over the Internet looking for a more precise yet simplistic method. In many of the more exacting processes the motor is completely removed from the bird and attached to some sort of jig which would eliminate many variables. To do so would require more than I'm willing to expend at this point. And as you noted, could and maybe should be considered overkill on a relatively new and maturing component of this product.

My objective here is probably a bit different than most visiting this forum as I have little to no photographic experience. I became interested in this hobby because of its uniqueness and pre-packaged, consumer grade technology. Much like I took to the original IBM personal computer some 35 years ago.

I bought these quads to take pictures and videos to share with my family and friends. As with anything I take on, the more I learn, the deeper I go. I continually flip-flop between trying my hand at the photographic element and pushing the envelope to see what I can get these things to do from a flying perspective.

Although I'm just trying to provide pleasing and interesting video for personal sharing I'm bothered by noticable imperfections. The video side of the Solo will be much tougher for me. The "other ones" seem to be much more automated in this process. To me the gimbal setup is also better. I haven't experienced the issues that I'm now confronted with although I've had my share of other issues.

I don't know the first thing about editing, color correction, saturation, stabilization or the other photographic elements. Just the size of these files and the process of cutting, pasting, adding a title and some music is a chore in itself. For me a very time consuming process and I am using an I7 with lots of RAM and SSD's.

If you watched the orbit I did at the lake (there was a bit of wind but certainly not unbearable) there were two obvious obstacles that made the video much less desirable. The shaking from the wind, transmitted to the camera through the gimbal and the changes in the direction of the camera in conjunction with the sun. (I'm sure there are many other flaws to the many professional people here but those are the two most important to me).

For me, the layman, these two issues produce a very amateurish feel. The latter will require a great deal of learning from a photographic perspective. I get it. The shaking is a function of the design and implementation of the product itself. Obviously, not as easily resolved as I first thought.

I think you and some others are right, the biggest issue regarding the vibration has to be the introduction and implementation of the gimbal itself. I know Rich is looking into the isolators and someone else is trying to replace the data cable and I look forward to following those findings. I think the HDMI ribbon cable is a good start. It just seems more logical to me than the OEM cable, provided there isn't any degradation in quality or interference issues.

Anyway, once again I'm rambling. I'm going to test the motor balancing that I've achieved thus far, balance the props as soon as I get my balancer and take it from there.

I very much enjoy reading the experiences of others on this forum. I'm learning a great deal and I'm enjoying the process of using my hands and mind. That being said, it's all a win-win for me! Thanks again for your response.

Jerry
If you really want to see some stable video check out my first video flight with my Syma X5...Awesome..crash included!
Now that I look at it I am quite pleased with what I get from Solo.o_O

Reactions: erikgraham

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M