Can unbalanced performance of motor pod cause poorer MANUAL positioning ?

SPP

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

I was hoovering in manual mode ( alt-hold), so no GPS assist like FLY (loiter), it seems even in windless condition, its drifting quite some distance.

My pod number 3 is hotter and requires more power, as per my test.
Can unbalanced performance of motor pod cause more drift ?

Thanks

Is it always drifting in the same direction? Or all over any direction? Even on a windless day, the slightest movement will keep floating.

if you have a motor pod getting hot like that I would yank that baby off there quick, and try again.
To my knowledge there is not a way to "trim" solo like other birds.
if I were in your place I would get that motor replaced, then if the drift is still that apparent, do a complete set of calibrations. If that did not clear it up, then I would submit a ticket.

Is it always drifting in the same direction? Or all over any direction? Even on a windless day, the slightest movement will keep floating.

Hi P2P,
Thanks for coming back 2 me ....
I would say the drift is not directional so far I seen if windlass condition. I did not do too long this alt-hold as I was surrounded by trees, out there in the open wind exist at approx 10km/h and Solo get wind blown fast if alt-hold.
I need to do more test.

if you have a motor pod getting hot like that I would yank that baby off there quick, and try again.
To my knowledge there is not a way to "trim" solo like other birds.
if I were in your place I would get that motor replaced, then if the drift is still that apparent, do a complete set of calibrations. If that did not clear it up, then I would submit a ticket.

Thans Pyrate...
I have 2 + 2 spare pods and will change the no 3.
Before that I want to do some test first with old pod #3 and newer pod, without having more flight hours in between, hoping to see obvious difference.

Will update yah.

Guys,

I have changed motor pod #3, but me did not do comparison test between old #3 and new #3 yet on my TEST BENCH.
It was a sudden trip on 23-34April so me change pod #3 asap and fly on 24th. 23rd was too windy and raining.
Now this is the reading of the pods.

Hoovering, Loiter. EDIT, this is the beggining of the Orbit. Let me change the image.
Ask Motor Pod reading v1.JPG

This is the Loiter, sorry, newbie :)
Ask Motor Pod reading v2a.JPG

Doing Orbit
Ask Motor Pod reading v2.JPG

Take OFF. MANUAL mode
Ask Motor Pod reading v3.JPG

ASK...

01. These values are the PMW signal to the motor, which in turn I can assume it is power magnitude applied to the motors.?

02. Due to autopilot wanting to maintain proper level during Loiter, side forces like wind will make autopilot throttle motors as required, I am assuming that power is applied to motors as needed and I can not simply assume, that which ever motor/s which are being sent signal to do more power, is a problem motor. Correct ?

03. Solo's GP cam and gimbal is in front, do motor 3 and 4 work harder due to this ?

This particular flight, wind speed was slow. 1st flight of the day.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
My test bench, latest version in progress.

Drone will be tied down with strings or velcro webbing.

White plywood base will need only so little weight, as the drone will push itself against its own payload, the white plywood :)
Hide behind a glass door and do the full throttle test .....LOL
Test Bench v1.JPG

Used water bottle cap as movement restrictor
Test Bench v2.JPG

Wooden blocks to lock Phantom body type, so me can do same test.
Test Bench v3.JPG

:D

Hey, I have exactly the same problem. My solo is brand new and pod 3 is just twitching, I thought I would give it a try on full power holding it down and no 3 pod was shot (why would this be with a brand new unit, do 3dr not test there units?). What was worse was when I turned the unit off and all 3 props that were working flew off, nearly taking my head with. Bit of a rush but didn't think this was possible?
Any body else had this problem, thanks

Last edited:
@SPP, You're looking at the IN values. Shouldn't you be looking at the OUT values to see the motor PWM output? It's been a while since I tinkered with those values in log analysis so I could be remembering it wrong too.

@SPP, You're looking at the IN values. Shouldn't you be looking at the OUT values to see the motor PWM output? It's been a while since I tinkered with those values in log analysis so I could be remembering it wrong too.
I'm a newbie, first go with a drone today. How do you check these values.

Hi P2P,
I dont know if such parameter exist for OUT of PMW/ESC value.
Roland said that channel/servo #1-4 milliseconds data is what I should look into for sign of motor trouble.
Finally it happened, lost my Solo today | edit : Found & Alive again

If only there is a way to read amperage per motor under load with ease, I can at least use servo INPUT data to see what wattage output I get and with tacho meter I can get RPM data, all the better to see any corellation.

I can always rig a DC clamp meter, but that means I need to extend power wires to motor to make a small reading loop and so on, not good.

Before I change to new #3, the old # 3 pod was also hottest, the winding is hotter by 10C ( 71C it read ) compared to the other 3 which are only 59C to 62C in the full throttle short test I did. I have not read motor winding temperature data again after #3 pod change.

Thanks P2P.

SP

I could just be remembering the log items wrong then. If the #3 motor is running hotter, and it's clearly amiss in the logs as well, I would replace it immediately.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig