Can Anyone Read this Log for Me? Another motor wire failure

Reaction score
The same exact motor failure on two different Solo's. Back right, red wire pulled out of the ESC board.

I have the flight log downloaded to my computer, but this site won't let me upload it.

Are you actually finding the wire disconnected? Or are you making an assumption on the cause? The log file is not going to detect a wire being disconnected. It will just show the loss of attitude control as the desired attitude and actual attitude diverge. And it will generally show the desired throttle going up on the motor as the angle continues to go down. Both indicate a loss of thrust to one a motor, causing a loss of control. But that isn't going to tell you WHY. If could be due to a wire disconnecting. It could be due to mechanical failure. it could be due to electronic failure in the ESC. It could be due to propeller failure. Etc etc etc.

In your most recent video, it appeared to regain attitude control and thrust just before hitting the ground, where it was of course too late to arrest the descent, but at least it softened the impact.

Seems to be a problem. I wonder how this is happining- bad solder connections?
https://3drpilots.com/threads/testi...en-cube-but-another-motor-wire-failure.11674/
That's the same user. :)

Are you actually finding the wire disconnected? Or are you making an assumption on the cause? The log file is not going to detect a wire being disconnected. It will just show the loss of attitude control as the desired attitude and actual attitude diverge. And it will generally show the desired throttle going up on the motor as the angle continues to go down. Both indicate a loss of thrust to one a motor, causing a loss of control. But that isn't going to tell you WHY. If could be due to a wire disconnecting. It could be due to mechanical failure. it could be due to electronic failure in the ESC. It could be due to propeller failure. Etc etc etc.

In your most recent video, it appeared to regain attitude control and thrust just before hitting the ground, where it was of course too late to arrest the descent, but at least it softened the impact.

When I recovered the Solo, I brought it back to the table and tried a motor test. #4 would not run, so I unscrewed it, pulled it back, and saw the red wire detached from the esc. I took a photo.

When I recovered the Solo, I brought it back to the table and tried a motor test. #4 would not run, so I unscrewed it, pulled it back, and saw the red wire detached from the esc. I took a photo.
I posted the flight log on Facebook, but I can't post the flight log here for some reason. This site won't let me post a file with .bin

Oops my bad- still not awake. In post 1 he said the red wire pulled out of the ESC board, so it sounds like a connection (solder) problem. Sometimes cold solder joints can cause intermittent failures. (I learned that building Brite Lites). :(

Was it unplugged, like the bullet connectors pulled apart, or what a wire broken off the board?

Was it unplugged, like the bullet connectors pulled apart, or what a wire broken off the board?
Red wire pulled off the solder connection on the esc/motor. It was still connected at the barrel connector. There is a photo at the end of the video.

Is it normal to take a Solo and tear up the sky pulling 40 plus amps and close to 50 at times? Wow. No doubt something happens to #4 based on RCout. I may be wrong here but it appears looking at Alt and DAlt that the solo tried to take care of itself at the very end when flying in Loiter and Alt Hold.

So is it bad to fly in Sport Mode? Too much stress on the motors and the electronics?

So is it bad to fly in Sport Mode? Too much stress on the motors and the electronics?
That would be something the smarter guys need to answer. definitely hard on the ESC's on a Solo I think. How fast were you flying? The RCout to your motor pods was frequently maxed out.

Last edited:
No. There is no wire stress from flight. It was probably either a defect, or the wires pulled too tight during modification work.

That would be something the smarter guys need to answer. definitely hard on the ESC's on a Solo I think. How fast were you flying? The RCout to your motor pods was frequently maxed out.
Here is the video. Mostly between 50 and 60.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Either the wire broke off after the impact or you are one lucky man. It sure looks like the Solo was trying to stabilize itself. On three motors I don't know if that would have been such a happy ending.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarkHKB40