Camera/gimbal control with smart shots

Reaction score
Is it the understanding of others that once we have our gimbals we will be able to set smart shots, then have Solo run the smart shot while we manually operate the shot framing via the pan and tilt buttons? Or is the camera angle baked in with the smart shot? My hope is that the smart shots will be like a substitute for a second operator like the Inspire where I can set the Solo movement first and then operate camera as it executes its move.

Is it the understanding of others that once we have our gimbals we will be able to set smart shots, then have Solo run the smart shot while we manually operate the shot framing via the pan and tilt buttons? Or is the camera angle baked in with the smart shot? My hope is that the smart shots will be like a substitute for a second operator like the Inspire where I can set the Solo movement first and then operate camera as it executes its move.

Its the latter. For example you decide you want to orbit around a object, you would set up orbit and then Solo would control the flight while you tilt the camera to your liking.

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
The Solo gets its name because you can do what has traditionally required two operators, by yourself, i.e.. "solo"

You will have the option to set up a smart shot and just let the Solo do everything, or you can control the gimbal tilt and the speed of smart shot with your controller while the Solo handles the bulk of the flying.

So for example, lets say you want to do an Orbit of a church tower. The simple thing would be to set up an Orbit smart shot, hit play and stand back doing nothing. Or if you want to be a little more involved, you could set up the Orbit smart shot, hit play, and then pull the right stick back while it circles the tower, thereby increasing the distance from the church (push forward to reduce the radius). From above this would look like a spiral, but the Solo will keep the church tower in the center of the frame the whole time.

Or, you could do all the above, but also move the left stick up and down to change altitude while the Solo circles the tower.

Or, you could set up the smart shot, DO NOT hit Play, but instead move the right sticks side to side to move the Solo along the Orbit at whatever speed you want. Simultaneously you could be using the left sticks to change altitude. So you get a kind of spiral cork screw shot, but the Solo will make sure the camera stays pointed at the church tower.

Its also important to note that when you do these kinds of orbits, you can also set an altitude for the target, in this case a church tower. You probably don't want the camera aimed at the base of the church, but rather the top of the tower. So you set a height, and even if you are using the left sticks to change altitude while the smart shot plays, the gimbal will tilt the camera up and down to keep the top of the tower in the center of the frame. Of course, while this is going on, you can over-ride the tilt using the controller.

That was a long post. Hope it helps.

(FYI, you can use the Tower app on Android to do even more complex shots).

Sorry if I seem dense here Erik, but to make it clear... So, the gimbal motion can also be programmed in with the smart shots, and then automatically tilt?

Sorry if I seem dense here Erik, but to make it clear... So, the gimbal motion can also be programmed in with the smart shots, and then automatically tilt?

correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand you cannot program the gimbal.. you can only control it !

That clears it up. Thanks. Just hope the control is nice and smooth. From the gimbal videos.I have seen so far, it seems pretty smooth.

Well hope someone jumps in that has a gimbal because the gimbal tilt should work in smart shots from my understanding. There is just no GoPro "menu" camera control.

Smart shots includes the ability to control the tilt of the camera. I showed that in my first gimbal tet video. What you can't do yet is 'program' a gimbal action outside of smart shots. You can also manually control the tilt while smart shots are executing. That was one of the stated benefits in the beginning, the ability to set up a shot with orbit or cable cam, have the computer control the flying while leaving you free to tilt the cam and start/stop recordings. Something that previously required 2 pilots.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: SkyDoctor
What you can't do yet is 'program' a gimbal action outside of smart shots. You can also manually control the tilt while smart shots are executing. That was one of the stated benefits in the beginning, the ability to set up a shot with orbit or cable cam, have the computer control the flying while leaving you free to tilt the cam and start/stop recordings. Something that previously required 2 pilots.[/QUOTE]

It appears that in the 3DR video demonstration of Cable Cam, Colin lines up the beginning of the shot, then he adjusts the pan and tilt of the camera and programs that waypoint. He then flys to end point and again adjusts the pan and tilt of the camera and programs the endpoint. During the execution of the shot, it looks like the camera gimbal move is part of the programed Cable Cam shot.
Is this not yet a feature to have the gimbal move as part of the smart shot recorded move?

What you can't do yet is 'program' a gimbal action outside of smart shots. You can also manually control the tilt while smart shots are executing. That was one of the stated benefits in the beginning, the ability to set up a shot with orbit or cable cam, have the computer control the flying while leaving you free to tilt the cam and start/stop recordings. Something that previously required 2 pilots.

It appears that in the 3DR video demonstration of Cable Cam, Colin lines up the beginning of the shot, then he adjusts the pan and tilt of the camera and programs that waypoint. He then flys to end point and again adjusts the pan and tilt of the camera and programs the endpoint. During the execution of the shot, it looks like the camera gimbal move is part of the programed Cable Cam shot.
Is this not yet a feature to have the gimbal move as part of the smart shot recorded move?[/QUOTE]
Yes, the smart shots controls the gimbal movement between points A & B. So at both ends of the 'Cable' it will be at your pre programmed position. It's a fluid movement. A longer cable would mean the gimbal moves more slowly than if you have a short cable (obviously)..

Yes, the smart shots controls the gimbal movement between points A & B. So at both ends of the 'Cable' it will be at your pre programmed position. It's a fluid movement. A longer cable would mean the gimbal moves more slowly than if you have a short cable (obviously)..
Does that mean that by operating the left hand tilt lever on the controller, you now override any pre-programmed tilt movement?
...And would the pan (or yaw of craft) still be a linear fluid movement based on your original program?
Thanks Jubair.

Does that mean that by operating the left hand tilt lever on the controller, you now override any pre-programmed tilt movement?
...And would the pan (or yaw of craft) still be a linear fluid movement based on your original program?
Thanks Jubair.
Yes, and Yes..:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M