Calibrating Compass

Reaction score
New guy, new threads and a full of questions today... right?

Okay, last one and I'll take a break (until I learn more that I don't know, am I right?).

I've tried calibrating my compass... it fails. Every damn time. I've tried it on a road with nobody around, I've tried it on a table in my apartment (well until it asks me to turn it and wave it around like a maniac or whatever) and it just runs the progress bar and fails.

Am I missing a technique to this?

Quick background for those noticing I'm asking a lot of questions today... I started doing level and compass in response to it not hovering really "in place" or being able to find me in Selfie and Follow shots very accurately. I doubt I've caused the inaccuracy, but I sure as hell haven't been able to resolve it.

Welcome to the forum- were here to help answer questions!

Hovering accuracy can depend on lots of things. I don't think you can do an accurate compass calibration indoors.

I rarely do it but do it in my backyard in the middle of the grass.
I just watch the screen of my iPad and rotate Solo in the same manner as I see on the screen. It takes a few minutes but it eventually completes.

I don't know what else would cause problems with calibration but hopefully someone else will chime in.

So you mirror the position you see on screen, not just turn it in all directions kind of random? I suppose I paid less attention to the graphic and took the text quite literal as it implied it was more random/all directions.

I used to rotate Solo end over end, and it took forever to complete. Rotating it at all different angles completed the calibration in less than half the time. It also took less battery to do.

For whatever reason I did pretty much the same thing today and it ran quite fast and completed successfully. I don't know what difference it made (if any), but I'm glad I've completed both it and the leveling.

For whatever reason I did pretty much the same thing today and it ran quite fast and completed successfully. I don't know what difference it made (if any), but I'm glad I've completed both it and the leveling.
You really shouldn't need to do it again unless Solo demands it prior to takeoff.(Rare) Some people will do a compass calibration if they go to a new location far away to fly.

I've have been told by 3DR before that you should perform both calibrations with he first flight of each day, just to guarantee that it's one less thing they could try to screw you on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea